The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Talk to me about waterproof barn gloves...

which ones are actually waterproof but aren't so bulky that you can't feel anything? And are still warm enough for a NY winter? Am I fooling myself that such a miracle exists?
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Absolutely love these:

http://www.sealskinz.com/

I use the socks as well. I haven't found any equestrian-specific product that can even compare.

comfortable, breathable, and they make some that are grippy.

Edit: They do mention their usefulness for horseback riding.
    I've used them for riding, tacking up, mucking and general barn work. They've never failed me.

Quality skiing gloves.

They were all I used in Alaska. Even when wet, they kept my hands warm. They were nimble enough to work in and grippy enough for riding.

But they were high-tech/pro type gloves, not $10 specials at Wally World. Worth every penny. They saved my hands many times over from frostbite.

I'm willing to spend $30-$40 on a pair, but what I don't want to do is spend them and they work as good as the Wally World special! The seal skinz looked awesome, and I'm going to my local outdoor store next weekend to stock up on really good long underwear, I'll check out their selection of ski gloves as well. I live near some small ski resorts, so our store usually stock a good assortment of high quality stuff.
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

I have the SealSkinz gloves as well and love them. And we do get cold in the winter here!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I love Atlas gloves for my basic farm chores. They aren't deep cold gloves, although I do wear them year round. Palms resist water, backs not so much. They do have a nice tacky palm though.
    I will have to check out the sealskinz too.

Thumbs up

There is a company called Watson's, I think it might be a Canadian company - but they make a lightweight, durable inexpensive women's work glove, that I really like.
    It is not heavy, but I find that in the winter, when I am working, my hands don't get that cold. Especially if I am able to actually leave my gloves on...
    if I am wearing heavy, bulky gloves, it goes without saying one or both come off, and one or both get lost.

A bit heavier model is made by Mark's Work Wearhouse. Both of these have elastic in them, which hugs your hands and helps to relieve fatigue.

I also like the very thin, unlined deerskin roper gloves - they get wet, but for some reason, your hands stay warm in them.

Staying warm, while working outside all winter here in Canada? it is an art form.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!