The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is It Legal To Leave A Dead Cow In Your Pasture.. Excellent Update!

My neighbors... Are freaks. Enough said about that. They have had a dead heifer laying in their front pasture for two days now. Horses out there with it. If they were any sort of normal I would assume they were waiting for the backhoe or the renderer. But they are not. So what now? I am truly trying to MMOB but every time I drive past it.. I desperately wish they would move.. And in the meantime, dispose of that poor dead animal!

Saturday AM update: dead cow was buried this AM, thank goodness!!!!
    Last edited by EqTrainer; Oct. 23, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I would call Animal Control or the Health Dept... it is illegal up here in PA.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Is it near a water source? That could merit a call to DENR.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

why don't you just go ask if they know she is dead. perhaps they are in fact waiting for the renderer to come get it. Maybe the truck that pics up cattle is not coming through the area for a day or so...

I don't talk to them. I am very sure we have little to nothing in common and nothing nice to say to each other. I would think two days is long enough to get the renderer, he has always come here within the day even on short notice. As far as a backhoe goes, they might have a problem getting one of the local guys to work for them.

The body is next to a pond and about twenty feet from the road.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Well i would think a dead animal in a pasture would be a great ice breaker for a conversation.... you have 2 options, either get involved or don't. If you are going to get involved,then either call the authorities or go see if the people are even home to know about it. If you aren't going to get involved then just be glad it is not your cow and not your problem.

you are right, it would be a helluva conversation piece...

I usually call AC on them when their horses are loose * again* but don't like to bother them with something they cannot do anything about.. But i guess asking the question is harmless enough. So i will call in the AM. Any other neighbor would be a different, for the most the rest are great and we help each other out. These people... Hmmmm.
    ---

County Health Dept. might be who you should call. The decomposing carcass can poison nearby water that other animals may drink.
    Last edited by BaroquePony; Oct. 23, 2010 at 05:43 AM.

Invite the local sanitation department, e.g. the vultures? They made fairly quick work of a deer in a ditch near me. I guess, otherwise an anonymous call to the county may be the thing to do.

Ummm..... gross.

The worst part about buying any house or property is not being able to vet the neighbors prior to moving in.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Ummm..... gross.

The worst part about buying any house or property is not being able to vet the neighbors prior to moving in.
    They are leasing a place that used to have very nice neighbors in it! I vetted them LOL.

I feel bad for all the animals there. Dontcha know that one round bale can feed 12 horses for a month? Not.
    ---

What everyone else said. Probably not legal.

Wonder if your neighbors are related to mine? I had something similar happen with a neighbor in September. Noticed what appeared to be the profile of an adult cows body protruding from a shallow grave. Pretty soon a turkey vulture came as the sun was going down.

Turns out the Stupid Cow People (always have cows dying due to their ignorance) had a cow suffer till it died from birthing a calf, then they DUG A SHALLOW GRAVE BY HAND, and just left the cow body exposed. I remembered hearing a cow making really odd noises several nights ealier. Apparently, it was the sound of the poor cow suffering until it died.

Told him that the county was going to be really mad, and they be paying big fines. Gave him several gallons of bleach for the body, and then he spend hours peeling top soil off the pasture, until the cow was buried under a huge mound.

And to think that these people used to opperate a 40 horse boarding stable!!

Holy batman Fantastic! They may be the same people!

Wait... Are we neighbors and we don't know it?! And they are our common, oh so common neighbor?! Scary to think there are more of them out there.
    ---

Go out and put a tarp on it in the middle of the night, maybe a sign of some sort and maybe theyll get the hint.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckydonkey View Post
    Well i would think a dead animal in a pasture would be a great ice breaker for a conversation....
    This is a sentence you just don't ever hear or see in every day normal converstation or written word. And while I get that it's a bummer of a situation, it still tickled me.

Well I had an 18 hand steer that dropped dead in my pasture years ago. He was in with the horses, not near a water source. He was a beloved pet and I called the back hoe that day but they could not come out for two days. I don't know what my choice was? I couldn't move 2500 lbs myself out of the pasture? I did tarp him and he was not near the road.

Maybe those people just don't care, but maybe they are just waiting on someone to bury or take the cow away?
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

I hope so. But it's not encouraging since tomorrow is the weekend. It is a small heifer. When people don't take care of alive things, it's hard to imagine that they are going to bother with the dead things. I hope I am wrong about that.
    ---

I've seen more than one heifer just let to rot but to give the rancher credit I don't think they ever passed by that way and saw it. Here in KY it's illegal to leave them, you have to bury them (whole list of how deep, where, lime etc) or have the deadstock guy out. Some fella was investigated for having decomposed horse carcasses in the back forty, his live horses were too thin and the skeletons and carcasses were viewed dimly by AC.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I am pretty sure it isn't legal. My neighbor across the road had a steer die and I thought I heard them mention they would have to get someone out to dispose of him asap or bury themselves. But they aren't the kind that would leave an animal dead or alive in misery to rot away.....

ETA: I'm in Chatham Co.

Around here (Granville Co., NC) most everyone considers a large dead piece of livestock an emergency, and they will go out of their way to help bury and or haul and bury something like that. They know it's a health issue. Even the backwoods folks know it ain't cool to have a large dead bacterial mess sitting around.

The vets have people they can call to help also.

I don;t know the *legal time limit*, but there are definately regulations on this kind of stuff.