The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bit sizing for loose-ring KK with the "egg" in the middle?

That's all, really!

Previous owner rode horse always in a rubber pelham. Horse is happy and settled when I ride him in a pelham (currently mostly hacking).

Because I'd like to do some more correct flatwork, I've tried various snaffles and nosebands, and he fusses, argues, blows through the bit, or sucks back, and is generally PO'd.

Back to the pelham - peace & tranquility reign.

(yes, horse's teeth are good, and he's in very good health generally).

Pelham is fat, rubber, short shanks, 5 1/4". 5 1/2" is a bit too wide.

A neighbour is selling a 6" loose-ring KK aurigan snaffle for a decent price, so I thought I'd give it a go, but no point if it's the wrong size.

Any thoughts on how to size them?

TIA!

I find that loose rings generally fit 1/8" to 1/4" larger than a properly fitted curb- so I'd assume the same for a pelham.

I would not put a 6" bit on a horse that wears a 5 1/4" pelham.

My horse has that bit and I think it's a 4 3/4 or a 5. It fits pretty true to size compared to the d-ring bits I had him in previously, and he takes a slightly bigger size in a bit like a baucher, pelham, or curb. So if your horse is a 5 1/4 in a pelham, I wouldn't size up to a 6". That would probably be quite large. If anything, I would stick with 5 1/4 or possibly even go down to a 5" in that particular bit.

Our horse wears a 5" bit. When we bought the loose ring KK ultra (lozenge in the middle), we went up 1/4".
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

All my horses wear a 1/4 to 1/2" larger snaffle bit if it has the 'bean' in the middle. I think it's because the 'bend' that the bean makes at both joints takes up some of the width.

Your best bet, IMHO, would be a Baucher bit! Similar to your pelham as for the mouth piece or a 2 or 3pieces if you prefer.
    You could even add a little chain or chin strap and work with it on and off. (for sure chin straps/chains aren't dress legal, so you'd want to train it off asap!)

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Your best bet, IMHO, would be a Baucher bit! Similar to your pelham as for the mouth piece or a 2 or 3pieces if you prefer.
    You could even add a little chain or chin strap and work with it on and off. (for sure chin straps/chains aren't dress legal, so you'd want to train it off asap!)
    I agree in principal - but he was just as unhappy with the baucher as he was with anything else.

Thanks all for the bit size recommendations!

I'm beginning to think it's either the metal in his mouth that he finds offensive, or a bit that's jointed once or twice in the middle.

Off to find a few Happy Mouths to try and/or plastic/rubber coated snaffles to try.

My horse likes the rubber covered loose ring snaffle with the curved bars, Have you tried that one. He is soft and responsive with it and has no issues trying to avoid it. I found with the loose ring the size went up also about 1/4 -1/2 depends on how it sits in the mouth..
    Good luck
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"