The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Olympic Scandal - reflections and a thank you

I usually reflect about this time of year on the circumstances that brought my heart-horse into my life. Its been 7 years now since he walked down the hill to the barn I was at, head held high, even though he was hurting. He was the first horse I had after a 3yr break due to life situations.
    A little back story.. I had spent a year galloping at a TB breaking farm in Oregon. I quit due to a shoulder and knee injury, it hurt to much and wasn't fun anymore. Long story short, I got a serious illness and wasn't sure I would ever be functional again. I had started out riding again as a form of physical therapy on very safe lesson horses but had a reached a plateau with that. I went back to visit the trainer I had worked for to see what she had. She told me about this nice young gelding who had been given to one of her owners because he had a knee chip. He didn't have a farm to rest the horse and didn't want to pay board all winter. The trainer told me about his breeding, said he was to nice of a horse to be dumped and did I want him? I spent a bit of time just looking at him in his stall and decided to take a chance on him. So for the grand total of $90 he was mine.. (that was shots, a couple days board and transport from her barn to mine)
    Needless to say my "free" horse has cost me a lot of money in vet bills to diagnose and treat his lameness. But what I've got in return is so much more. He is responsible for getting me back as close as possible to the way I was before my illness, for that he has earned his keep with me for ever. I like to say we rehabbed each other!

Anyway.. he is now 10, pretty much sound though a bit creaky, loves to gallop and roll and buck and generally be silly, he is my 1200lb golden retriever! He is 17hh+ of bright chestnut with the look of eagles, he floats across the ground and I am amazed every time I see him at how lucky I was to be given this incredible horse. It does make me sad sometimes to know he is not sound but I know that if he was completely right there is no way I could have acquired him.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/olympic+scandal

Thank you, Scandal, for all you have done for me. You make me smile every time I see you. When I'm down or in a bad mood, you nudge me and insist on being scratched. You pull me closer with your nose and tell me where it itches. For all your size you really are the most gentle and considerate of horses and never take advantage of your size.
    Whew.. didn't think it would get this long! I would love to know if anyone knows of or has a Loup Sauvage horse.
    Thanks
    Jessica

Your story made me beam. I know exactly how you feel.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

aww very nice tribute!

But must say i was expecting an actual scandal that happened at the Olympics! lol

P.

Talking

I still can't figure out how/why he was named that as it has nothing to do with his breeding. The only thing I can think of was the actual scandals at the winter games in '02. I think I remember his first owner (the one who registered him) has a big farm there. Not the name I would have picked, but i am a firm believer in the saying its bad luck to change a horse's name.. so he goes by Scandal or Scan..

All that and NO picture?

You asked about people who have horses related to yours. Denny Emerson (who posts here as "Denny") recently posted a picture of Mr.Prospector on his Facebook Page. Look for "Tamarack Hill Farm" in Facebook and become a fan and then you can see the pictures. Denny might know of some more offspring of Mr. Prospector, who I see in your horse's pedigree.

SCM1959

Quote Originally Posted by Scan&Shelby View Post
    I still can't figure out how/why he was named that as it has nothing to do with his breeding. The only thing I can think of was the actual scandals at the winter games in '02.
    My first thought was the Olympic scandal right before the 2000 summer olympics (which also happens to be the year he was born). Eric Lamaze, the show jumper, tested positive for cocaine and he was banned from the Canadian showjumping team that was set to compete in the Olympics, and was a hairpin away from being banned for life (Spruce Meadows absolutely refused to accommodate him by letting him ride). It was big news back then for me, since I was a HUGE fan of his (and still am) and that whole thing was just humongous to me. It all turned out all right, but for a few weeks, it was everywhere in the media. Or maybe that's just how it looked to me, since I cut out every newspaper article I could find and kept the TV on the news channels, lol. But yeah, that was my first thought when I read "Olympic Scandal" and then saw his birthyear was 2000.
    Some people are like slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

I know exactly how you feel. It is amazing what horses can do to heal a person. I know mine has. He is the best. Had a long race career, has some jewlery, but packs me around as if I am the reincarnation of a long lost Queen. He is kind, he is wise, and he loves me. What more can you ask for, and I got him for 1 dollar to make it legal. I am forever grateful to Bev and the other folks who made it posssible.