The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Getting Clipper blades to last for more than one clipping

Am I the only one that can't get blades to last for more than one clipping.

I have an Oster Clipmaster and A5. I usually do a full body clip in the spring, and I use a new set of blades every time. I have tried several times to reuse the blades but they are very dull. Is this typical? Am I doing something wrong?

When I clip, I bath my horse thoroughly. I use a lot of showsheen to get them slick. I use lots of cool lube in between.

I will admit that I am bad about using blade wash after finishing the clipping and also I tend to leave the blades on the clippers when I am done. I do use blade oil.

It just seems that I should be able to use my blades more than once!?!?!?
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

What brand and style are the blades? That will make a huge difference.

But the best thing I have found is Vetrolin Shine as a lubricant. You could use Show Sheen too. It keeps the blades cooler and sharper than the blade lube stuff you can buy. I can get at least 3 or 4 clips out of my good ceramic blades by using the Vetrolin.

Default brand of blades

I use the Oster brand blades...for both clippers...I sometimes get the Cryo-gen-X Oster blades for the A5 clippers.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Hrm, that's weird... I have the clipmasters too, with the oster brand clippers, and I can easily get about 3 full body clips (I do 2 horses, and then my show horse gets clipped one more time) out of them before they start going a bit dull...
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

I never use any kind of spray lube on any of my blades,small or large. I use a GOOD blade wash and dip often while clipping. I get 3-4 full body clips on a set of blades depending on how clean the horse is. After I have them sharpened I only can get about 2 done.
    If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com

Default blade wash

If you wash your blades during a clipping session, do you remove the blades to dry and re-oil them before continuing? I've always disassembled my blades and applied oil after dipping them in the wash solution, but I'm wondering if I make the job more difficult than necessary.

Also, when you oil your blades, do you add oil to the teeth, in addition to the inside rails?

Thanks.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I regularly dip the blades in blade wash as I clip and also switch to my A-5's for leg/head work about halfway through the clip job to let the big clippers cool down (also it gives my hand a rest and breaks up the monotony of clipping). That helps keep the blades sharp (or so I've been told - it definitely keeps the clippers cooler, so it's a good thing)

But I wonder if what you are dealing with is "normal" blade wear. That first cut is wonderful, the blades are sharp sharp sharp. The 2nd through 4th cuts just aren't the same, the blades are still sharp, but not as sharp as the first cut!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Clean horse, lots of Show Sheen, lots of Kool Lube... but what I find helps keep blades sharpest is switching them out as they heat up. I rotate through three sets of snap-on blades as I clip each horse. As soon as the first set starts to get more-than-a-little-warm, out they go and in with a new set. Easy and effective. :-)
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

I also use two sets of blades for big jobs. That way neither set is completely trashed and I can get the job done and still have two sets in reasonable shape for smaller jobs.
    Click here before you buy.

If the Oster Clipmaster is the LARGE clipper for horses, you may have the tension set too high. Check the instructions - I seem to remember (I have switched to Andis for body clipping) that they tell you how to set the tension to get the most out of the blades. (Also, blade wash as mentioned above really helps)

SteveM Guest

My daughter used to go through 1 or 2 blades (Oster A5) per horse -- she sprayed blades with Cool Lube during clipping.

We purchased the large Oster Clipmasters and they came with a tube of oil. I contacted Oster and they indicated that it was simply mineral oil. She applies oil to the blades every 10 minutes or so. Her large Clipmasters have the original blades and she's probably clipped 8 - 10 horses over the course of the last couple of years. She uses the same oil on her smaller clippers (now Andis Super 2 speed -- installed with Oster narrow blades) and the blades just seem to last and last.

Yes, I was going to suggest perhaps you are overtightening the tension on the Clipmasters.

I've been getting an unreal amount of use out of clipper blades since I started using charcoal lighter fluid as a cleaner. I just keep the bottle handy and squirt it over the running blades every few minutes. I got the tip from a clipper sharpening website. It works much better and is a whole lot cheaper than Kool-lube and blade wash.

GallopHer- I put about an inch of blade wash in a wide plastic container and dip the ends of the blades while still running until no more hair comes out of them then dab them on a towel & keep clipping. I also use 2 pair of clippers to keep them from getting too hot. I oil in between using each pair one they have cooled. I throw away the used blade wash.
    If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Songsmom View Post
    If the Oster Clipmaster is the LARGE clipper for horses, you may have the tension set too high. Check the instructions - I seem to remember (I have switched to Andis for body clipping) that they tell you how to set the tension to get the most out of the blades. (Also, blade wash as mentioned above really helps)
    this is what I think is happening. I clip 40-60 horses a year and usually get at least 3 full body clips out of one set.

On the Osters your tension setting it the big turn key thing on the top of the clippers. Oster says to turn it until it is tight and then back off a 1/4 turn. I usually set it looser to start with a new set of blades and tighten as I go. If they are too loose your blades will fall off, or they won't cut at all. Tighten the tension setting right to where the blades start to cut and add tension as the cutting gets harder.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

Cool Lube dulls blades. Have at least 2 blades available when you clip, and when one gets hot, use the other one. They cool faster, if you set the hot blade on something metal or concrete while you are using the other blade.

I clip my guys with regular andis clippers, not the heavy duty ones. I can clip an average sized horse in about an hour. I groom dogs/cat for a living. I just use the same clippers and blades that I use at work. My blades arer't dull after finishing. They get used on dogs after clipping the horses (and before), so I am not sure how many horses I could get out of one sharpening. But you should be able to get lots more than one horse out of a pair of clippers.