The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50
  1. #1

    Default Hidden Meadows Equine Rescue Owner in WV fined $1000

    The AllHorses Post ran a poll, and background information:

    http://www.allpetspost.org/allhorsespost/?p=5696



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,163

    Default

    It's horrible. More than 50 animals rescued, 7 horses dead when they got there... and she only gets an animal cruelty charge and $1000 fine....

    Call the DA's office. The story, photos, and DA's information is at the link....
    Platinum Equestrian - Florida, USA



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2004
    Location
    Catonsville, MD
    Posts
    6,948

    Default 'Restitution hearing'

    The story linked above says that the owner of the 'rescue' is due to have what they call a 'restitution hearing' at a later date.

    Is there anything we can do ensure a good outcome in this hearing? Do we need to pack the hearing room? Write lots of letters to the judge? Make giant posterboards explaining the costs of caring for the victims of this woman's care?

    Even if you don't care a bit for horses, the idea of someone committing a crime like this, where the clean up after the fact costs thousands of dollars that other folks end up paying, ought to offend anyone.

    Does anyone know anything about this process, either in this specific case or others like it?
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,675

    Default

    What good is a restitution hearing when the woman doesn't have 2 dimes to rub together, unless her paypal is still working?
    The ONLY thing I can see she has to 'pay' for what she did is time... and they allowed her to plea out, avoiding time, without even looking at the evidence or allowing those there to speak for the voiceless horses the opportunity to do so.
    I am disgusted.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2010
    Location
    United States of Absurdistan
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    CHEESE & RICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It cost more than that to trailer all of them away!!!

    I understand the desire to help, and how you get to the point of having too many, but once their health suffers, you need to make a choice, finding new homes or euthing.

    She needs to pay all the money back, and do a serious amount of public service. If they had her do it @ horse rescue, she would get a good idea of the RIGHT way to do it.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,675

    Default

    What horse rescue would want her on their property?

    There were so many flags flying about this place before the merde hit the fan it looked like the UN. The desire to 'save' blinded many people to the obvious questions regarding this person and her org..

    You can not rescue your way out of slaughter. You can not save them all.
    THIS is what happens when you think out of the pipeline, 'better than a meathook' is good enough.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep. 30, 2010
    Posts
    37

    Default

    http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...AfterDated.jpg

    http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...reandAfter.jpg

    http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/...reAndAfter.jpg

    http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/...reandAfter.jpg

    http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/...reandAfter.jpg

    This mare died.
    http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/...eforeAfter.jpg

    http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/...reandAfter.jpg

    Attached are photos of these two beautiful retired broodmares when they were first arrived at this hell hole. Three months later dead. Died a slow and painful death of starvation. Trapped in woods with little water and no pasture.

    http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/doc...btag=alexbrown

    ************Graphic photos of dead horses***********

    http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_2467.jpg

    Go here and click next.

    ***Graphic*****



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep. 30, 2010
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:29 PM
    Subject: Mary O'Brien Case

    I have some disturbing news regarding the Mary Obrien case. A hearing was scheduled today for the case, but before this could take place, a plea status hearing was conducted with only the public defender, prosecuting attorney (Kim Crockett) and the magistrate. Not a single person from the case was present including the investigating officer, animal control or myself. We actually showed up for the hearing and were told it was over.

    The only information the prosecuting attorney had was the warrant for the arrest. She has never even seen the case file or a single record or photo from the case. In addition, she never spoke with the investigating officer, animal control or myself. Basically, she prosecuted a case without even looking at the evidence and then the magistrate agreed to the plea bargain without anyone being present or at the least consulted.

    What a disappointment this judicial process has been. This was a very well documented case of animal cruelty. Both Animal Control and the Sheriff's Department did their jobs. At least eight horses died or had to be euthanized from starvation and neglect in this case.

    We are holding a press conference tomorrow in front of the court house at 11:00 A.M. to demand answers from the Chief Prosecutor's office. We would appreciate any support from horse owners and the public. Please forward this to your contacts. Thank you so much for all of your help.

    Sincerely,

    Christine Bridges D.V.M
    __._,_.___



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2006
    Posts
    1,920

    Default

    I am getting so angry at seeing all these neglect photos. This is ridiculous, she should face much worse charges! Those poor horses.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan. 5, 2010
    Posts
    2,152



  11. #11
    Join Date
    May. 3, 2006
    Posts
    11,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OTTBLuvr View Post
    Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:29 PM
    Subject: Mary O'Brien Case

    I have some disturbing news regarding the Mary Obrien case. A hearing was scheduled today for the case, but before this could take place, a plea status hearing was conducted with only the public defender, prosecuting attorney (Kim Crockett) and the magistrate. Not a single person from the case was present including the investigating officer, animal control or myself. We actually showed up for the hearing and were told it was over.

    The only information the prosecuting attorney had was the warrant for the arrest. She has never even seen the case file or a single record or photo from the case. In addition, she never spoke with the investigating officer, animal control or myself. Basically, she prosecuted a case without even looking at the evidence and then the magistrate agreed to the plea bargain without anyone being present or at the least consulted.

    What a disappointment this judicial process has been. This was a very well documented case of animal cruelty. Both Animal Control and the Sheriff's Department did their jobs. At least eight horses died or had to be euthanized from starvation and neglect in this case.

    We are holding a press conference tomorrow in front of the court house at 11:00 A.M. to demand answers from the Chief Prosecutor's office. We would appreciate any support from horse owners and the public. Please forward this to your contacts. Thank you so much for all of your help.

    Sincerely,

    Christine Bridges D.V.M
    __._,_.___
    It sounds like a travesty of justice.

    Let's hope she'll get real justice and be ostracised and have a life time of misery and loneliness.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep. 30, 2010
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    It sounds like a travesty of justice.

    Let's hope she'll get real justice and be ostracised and have a life time of misery and loneliness.
    Ditto. Thank you for your support. This just cannot happen.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep. 30, 2010
    Posts
    37

    Default

    More photos.

    Again************Graphic*******************

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fairwea...7624868021341/



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2005
    Location
    Lorena, Texas
    Posts
    4,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    The story linked above says that the owner of the 'rescue' is due to have what they call a 'restitution hearing' at a later date.

    Is there anything we can do ensure a good outcome in this hearing? Do we need to pack the hearing room? Write lots of letters to the judge? Make giant posterboards explaining the costs of caring for the victims of this woman's care?
    The problem with restitution is - they never pay it. We've been awarded restitution time and time again, and we've seen it maybe once. In one case, we were awarded over $9,000 in restitution. Never saw a dime..
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

    Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2005
    Location
    Paris, Kentucky
    Posts
    3,200

    Default

    Why is it so hard to get these cases right???

    I am getting so frustrated. Between scamming rescuers, inept AC officers and a judicial system that doesn't know which end the oats go in it is a wonder any of them are ever saved!
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2007
    Location
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.
    Posts
    12,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    The problem with restitution is - they never pay it. We've been awarded restitution time and time again, and we've seen it maybe once. In one case, we were awarded over $9,000 in restitution. Never saw a dime..
    And that is exactly what will happen here. The rescues might see a bit of money from the sale of her seized property, what little of it there is, but it won't be much, certainly not enough to cover any of the expenses incurred. She probably won't give up any of her bank account either beyond a cursory payment. I bet she disappears shortly after the legal proceedings are wrapped up and goes to another part of WV or Ohio to take up with someone she knows and start all over again.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep. 30, 2010
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    And that is exactly what will happen here. The rescues might see a bit of money from the sale of her seized property, what little of it there is, but it won't be much, certainly not enough to cover any of the expenses incurred. She probably won't give up any of her bank account either beyond a cursory payment. I bet she disappears shortly after the legal proceedings are wrapped up and goes to another part of WV or Ohio to take up with someone she knows and start all over again.
    and I am sure she will get more horses.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2004
    Location
    Catonsville, MD
    Posts
    6,948

    Default

    Does she own land? If she owns the land the horses are on, she should have it seized to pay for the horses care.

    And how come we can't have a lien to garnish her future wages to pay for the horses care? There should not be anyplace to hide in this kind of case. Scowl.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09




  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2004
    Location
    Catonsville, MD
    Posts
    6,948

    Default cowgirljenn

    What kind of debt is restitution? Could you sell it to a debt collection company for a portion of its value, get some $$, and let them try to collect?

    Is the failure to get the restitution you are owed due to the fact that you can't afford any really aggressive lawyers?

    Don't we have some, uh, persistent folks in the legal professions on this board?
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09




  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct. 8, 2002
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    10,197

    Default Important - for past donors to HMER

    If anyone here has ever donated to HMER (I realize that is unlikely, as HMER's few posts here were met by much skepticism) and is concerned about misappropriation of funds - please, please, please do this (crossposted, sorry about the copy/paste):

    Call the U.S. (Federal) Attorneys office that has jurisdiction over Martinsburg WV. They will send a complaint form to you if you call them. The individual I spoke to was very informative and he become more interested when I told him that the sheriffs office as well as others had clear evidence of starvation- i.e. misappropriation of funds. If you can enclose the spread sheet with the complaint, that will really help them with the investigation. And yes, interstate fraud comes under the jurisdiction of the federal attorney.

    If you know others who donated, they should also call the office to get a letter of complaint.

    The assistant also said that to start an investigation, they need people to step forward and file complaints - in other words, they need this evidence.
    Here is the contact information:

    William J. Ihlenfeld, II, USA*
    P.O. Box 591
    Wheeling, WV 26003-0011
    Web Site | Press Releases
    phone: (304)-234-0100
    fax: (304)234-0100



    (end of crossposted stuff)

    Interesting. the 2009 990 states 130K in revenue.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

    My CANTER blog.



Similar Threads

  1. Blue Moon Meadows rescue in Avon NY
    By msj in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Sep. 11, 2012, 03:21 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct. 28, 2011, 08:01 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: Apr. 23, 2011, 02:16 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: May. 13, 2010, 04:49 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Nov. 13, 2009, 11:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness