The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Snaffle Bridle Recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for two snaffle bridles.

The first is for a draft cross with a fairly large head (will need a warmblood size). He has a lot of white on his face.

The second is for a solid bay very dainty QH (he takes a cob sized bridle).

Would like to stay in the $300-350 range for each.

Default Dressage Extensions

I own draft cross horses, and have bought 2 or three bridles - one crown and one black). The brown one is my mare's everyday bridle (and I spiff it up to show occasionally, and I've gone through about 4 or 5 sets of reins, it's probably 6 or 7 years old and still going strong. LOVE IT. It used to cost $79, now up to $100, but for the money, its a steal of a deal.

Smile Bridles to die for

I highly recommend Jerry's Harness Shop (he has a website) if you want a lovely bridle that fits perfectly. He will custom make one to your specific measurements and the cost is the same as one of his "off the shelf" bridles (that Dressage Extensions sells under the Royal Oak brand name). He recently made a dressage snaffle bridle for me, black on black, raised and padded noseband and browband, stainless steel hardware and it is gorgeous and was under $300. You can get black/black, black/white padding or brown... stainless steel or brass hardware. He has a measurement chart you fill out based on a bridle your horse can wear. Then you take pictures of each side of the horse's head with the bridle on and he will adjust the various pieces based on the pics and your measurements to get a perfect fit. He is fantastic to work with and my bridles were done and in my hands in under 3 weeks. The leather is first rate. I recently found in a consignment shop a Jerry's bridle that was at least 10 years old and it is in perfect condition so the quality and workmanship is excellent. Give him a call.....you won't regret it.

Thanks. Will look into it. Does a bridle exist with a rolled nose band, or is it just the brow band that is rolled?

I've heard that the quality of Jerry's Harness Shop bridles has gone down in recent years. I may be wrong but I thought I read that here.

I personally really like Red Barn / KL Select bridles. They're nicely padded, good quality, and look nice.

I had an old (no brand marking that I could see - and I got it used) rolled leather bridle which had a rolled noseband. The rolled leather bridles I see around have a regular noseband to allow for padding though!
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.