The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default suitability for eventing? (confo critique)

Hi! I have a 15.1-ish 6 y/o Selle Francais x TB mare who I think would like to try her hoof at eventing, provided her scaredy-cat-arse mom (me) gets over her confidence/fear issues - we've only gone as high as 2'3" before, because of my silliness. She loves jumping, and is bold and sassy, and her dam did Training level eventing.

If anyone can glean any conformation critiques out of these not-necessarily-the-best-conformation-set-up photos, that'd be great! I'm just looking to see whether or not you think her physique would hold up to the rigors of low-level eventing (BN or Novice at best, probably). If not, I'm perfectly content to hack around huntseat and stick to little bitty hunter classes at schooling shows. I'm not in it for the ribbons or anything like that! I just love her and want her to be sound, safe, and sane. She has a pretty good work ethic and I think she has the heart for eventing, just not sure about the conformation (I grew up hunter/jumper, dabbled in dressage).

Onwards to the pictures!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...on/confo07.jpg
    fat and fuzzy rising 3.5 year old, when I first bought her - unbroke

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../confomary.jpg
    last summer (09), 5 years old - she saw some horses outside, hence the giraffey attentive stance!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...n/DSCF0038.jpg
    bored after a ride and starting to get fuzzy, a few weeks ago; 6 years old.

And just for fun, here's a working pic of us from Sunday (PLEASE temporarily ignore my a) bad eq and b) spare tire(s) - obviously these will BOTH be addressed before I start venturing into the eventing world!)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aq/oct1731.jpg

Thanks in advance!!

Well, I won't offer you a confo critique since I am no expert ...

but BN, for starters, should not pose a problem physically for any sound horse who can jump 2'7". It's not really that rigorous.

If she's sound doing her job now, I'd just start slow and get some help from a trainer, and begin building the skills you'll both need. No reason she wouldn't stay sound going forward with that.

If you haven't already, you'll want to start riding out and about, on terrain, W-T-C, on a regular basis.

Start doing regular jump schools, begin working on your dressage test skills.

By the time you are ready to put it all together you'll know whether it's too much for her!
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Thanks so much! She's only had a few lame days in the almost 3 years I've had her, and mostly from being stupid in the pasture, none from overwork.

I'm excited because the barn we just moved to has actual terrain to ride out on, what seems like a million acres, and the BO is looking into putting in a xc course!

Thanks so much, I'll consider us on the "tentatively moving forward with the low-level eventing idea" track!

PS looked at the albums in your sig - your horses are gorgeous!

Nice and uphill, but seems to be lacking some butt! But what do I know.
    Start her and see how she does, I'm sure she can go to training at least.
    Ummm don't want to mention it, but the picture of you riding her - it looks like the saddle is too far up on her withers. Could be just the pic.
    Let us know how she does!

She's cute. I hope she does well eventing!

And yes, I agree, the saddle is too far forward.

Duly noted on the saddle, will move it back!

Cruiser, yep, we are working on getting a butt. it's much better/bigger now than when I first got her, though, trust me!

GilbertsCreeksideAcres, thanks :-) I happen to like her lots!

Cute!! Build up that butt and you should be all set. Love little chestnut mares. :-)

Jennifer

I think she's a very attractive mare. Looks thick in the throatlatch, not sure if she just has a big front end or lacking in the hindend, she looks muscular enough. Working out of the ring really helped me and my mare build up some muscle.

I find that eventers aren't huge equitation critiques, but big on saddle fit! They ride to get the job done safely, not to be pretty (though some are better at looking pretty for sure!). It doesn't really appear that the saddle is too far forward, it looks more like it's too small in the seat and flap. The saddle pad gives the impression it's forward, but it doesn't look like the pommel is. That's just my impression of the photos.

She gets a but heavy-headed in the colder months, all of her fuzz seems to go there, but she ends up looking way more refined in the warmer months, of course!

She's always had a scrawny-ish high-end and now that I'm in a place with a lot of room to roam, I'm excites to take her out of the ring and work up that rear end!

The saddle is small for me, it's the one I've had for probably 17 years (yikes) and unfortunately my physique has changed since I was 12, hehe. I was riding in my last trainer's saddle at the old barn and am on the hunt for a better fitting, more useful saddle!

Thanks, I wondered about the pad making it look too far forward also :-)

Thanks for your input!

Have fun! one of the best things about eventing is that many different types of horses can do the job, and the main criteria is that you guys are safe and enjoying it!
    My two are both "nontraditional" eventers -- a dressage refugee and a draft cross, and they have a blast...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother