The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Went to an auction and someone loaded an empty trailer

I have heard this story soooo many times. It's always from someone who knows someone who knows someone who it happened to and it's always they went to an auction and when they got home there were 2 or 3 horses on their empty trailer.

I think this is a horse person urban legend. There's never any info about what condition the horses were in, or what they did with the horses, etc.

Does anyone know firsthand of this actually happening?

Sounds like the story you tell your spouse/SO/family.

I didn't buy them, I swear! Somebody put them on my trailer when I wasn't looking!

trailer? No. I know of someone that not once but twice went away to shows and came home to find strange horses (TBs) in her paddock...

Quote Originally Posted by camohn View Post
    trailer? No. I know of someone that not once but twice went away to shows and came home to find strange horses (TBs) in her paddock...
    Oh, that would stink!

What did she do?

My SO has a lady that rides that works for him. She went out to her field one morning to find her herd had doubled from 3 to 6!!!

She called the cops but did confess to having a moment of temptation.... Seems the dumped horses were quite a bit nicer than her own!!

She was convinced after having some time to think that the poor dumpees were stolen from somewhere and the thieves for whatever reason had to dump them offf quick

The auctions I go to require documentation for any horses being removed from the property during/after the auction. You would have to have a receipt or evidence of ownership to leave the premises.

Of course the easiest thing to do if your trailer is full at the auction, is to unload it and let the auction company deal with it. After all, they are not your horses simply because someone stuck them on the trailer!

I agree with a PP that this "story" is something to tell a spouse/SO/family member as to why another horse or two was coming home.
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I have heard this story soooo many times. It's always from someone who knows someone who knows someone who it happened to and it's always they went to an auction and when they got home there were 2 or 3 horses on their empty trailer.

I think this is a horse person urban legend. There's never any info about what condition the horses were in, or what they did with the horses, etc.

Secondhand. One of my husband's patients, who owns 35 horses, went to an auction. When he went back to his trailer there were 2 horses unknown to him loaded on the trailer.

Guess the owners didn't want them to go through the auction.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    it was done to two different of our hay clients last summer....they told us about it in the barn parking lot...one was at a horse sale and the other a cattle sale..
    Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

saddlebred Rescue took on a pony a couple of years ago that IIRC, someone had tied up directly to one of the meat trucks at the New Holland auction. It was an anicent pony that was covered in burrs, they named him Burrby. I don't think he made it though, he had some health issues.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

First hand knowledge? No, I don't own a trailer.

My niece's bf had someone trying to tie a horse to their trailer at a fair.

A friend had someone who left a horse in her trailer where it was parked at a trail head.

A neighbor a few doors down had 2 horses left in one of her paddocks.

I get numerous offers for free horses all the time.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

My friend went trail riding down in NC. Where they parked on the trailhead was a stock trailer with 3 horses tied to it and a sign that said Free Horses.
    When they came back from the trail ride there were now 4 horses tied to the trailer. Poor person instead of giving away his horses gained one instead.

Maybe someone took the fourth horse for a trial ride on the trail, didn't like it, and brought it back? LOL.

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    Maybe someone took the fourth horse for a trial ride on the trail, didn't like it, and brought it back? LOL.
    LOL! That might actually be the truth!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    My friend went trail riding down in NC. Where they parked on the trailhead was a stock trailer with 3 horses tied to it and a sign that said Free Horses.
    When they came back from the trail ride there were now 4 horses tied to the trailer. Poor person instead of giving away his horses gained one instead.
    This is a hilarious story. It sounds like something from The Three Stooges. Can't you just see the trailer owner scratching his head, with big black question marks over him? Kinda like that
    Vancouver Equine
    www.vaneq.com

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    LOL Well I guess if the sign didn't read "Free Horses, please take if you are interested." then he only has himself to blame. hahaha
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Somebody might have had the fourth one out to try it but the "Free Horses" trailer was the only trailer at the trailhead when they arrived.

We went with a load of cows to a cattle auction that held a horse auction immediately following the cattle auction, and then an auction for goats and pigs after that. When we got back to our trailer, someone had loaded an old pony and a goat into our trailer.

They left a note saying the pony and goat were best friends and that they could not take care of the pony any more. The note said to feel free to send the pony and goat through the auction, if we didn't want them.

Well, most goats and horses at that auction ended up you-know-where. We took the pony and goat home -- we had 1,500 acres and plenty of room for an old pony and goat to live out their lives as pets. Our vet said the pony was "ancient" - hard to tell just how old but "maybe close to 25 or 30." The nanny goat was old for a goat as well.

They had a little two acre lot with a 3-sided shed that they shared. It was the only place that had a woven wire fence that would keep the goat in. The goat died about three years later, and the pony moped about for some time. Then he adopted a stray cat that just showed up one day as a friend. The cat would sleep on the pony's back just above his hips. The pony lived for three years after the goat had died. We buried them both by each other near a pecan tree in their lot. I don't think Miss Scarlett the cat ever got over losing her pony friend. She tried to find a horse friend who would let her on its back-- she didn't have any luck with the horses.

For her own protection, we turned her into a house cat. She lived at least ten more years as a house cat.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

Elysian-

Bless you.

THAT has to be the sweetest thing I've read in a long time.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Default Awww

kind of like the old stories of leaving a baby in a basket on a door step with a note pinned to it!