The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Often Do You Lunge?

I will only lunge in a surcingle and side reins. I do it once a week or once every 2 weeks for a total of 20-30 minutes.

Depends on the horse. Two of them never get lunged. My evil gelding gets longed maybe once a month or so, less in the summer. My 4yo OTTB mare gets longed about once a week on the first day back to work after a day off.

well my longing with my 3 yr old geld has gone kind of non existent right now,im lucky if i do it 3 x in one month...im bad..lol...thats going to change though as i finally am going to have some help over the winter with a new BNT...im excited!

anyways when i am good and do lunge..its sometimes in full tack and others is halter over bridle as when he having a silly moments..i am not ruining his soft mouth when working with him.

about twice a week, 2 sets of 10 reps in the gym.

Most of my horses, never. One gets 2-3 minutes before I get on to get the bucks out so that he doesn't kill me, since I ride alone. Saddled, on a line with a halter.

It depends.

I will use lunging in stages of training as a way to help a horse build strength/balance. Or, I'll drive them (long line) as part of their early training. I do not use it as a way to get the sillies out. I'd rather just get on and ride. When I do lunge I usually "double lunge" rather than use side reins.

However, my current horse has never been lunged. I keep thinking he should at least know how. I did long line him a bit at the beginning but that's it.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

One horse goes once a week in a Pessoa rig for about 30 minutes. The other gets lunged "as needed" as in if I get on and the hump in his back is still there after 5-10 minutes, I will get off and lunge him.

I only longe maybe 2-3x/year, and only to get the sillies out... Normally my OTTB is a lazy slug, but you know what happens around this time of year and in the spring, when the weather changes and the wind blows up their butts just right... lol
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    about twice a week, 2 sets of 10 reps in the gym.
    Hehehe. Good for you!

I usually only lunge occassionally, but have a lot lately because of things getting in the way of riding. I mostly use it as a way to do some "mental chiropractics". My horse doesn't have "sillies" he has cockiness. When he doesn't get worked regularly, he gets serious attitude like a teenager, and lunging is the lowest-impact (mentally and physically for both of us) way I can get his head back in the game. He has a *very* shallow bottom, so it doesn't take long for him to be quiet, but he does have this wonderfully charming way of giving me the finger nonetheless. When I'm lunging, my frustration at my own riding/fitness limits are removed, and I'm a much better "trainer" in the moment on the ground than I would be in the saddle.

Last night I lunged for seriously about 5 minutes becaues he responded perfectly to all my voice commands (and I did lots of trot/canter transitions!).

My vet loves that my horses lunge so nicely- it's easy and quick to do an assessment, and no one has to run!

I hhhaaaaaaaaatte longing so pretty much never.

Unless a horse has had fewer than 15 rides in its life I pretty much just get on.

That said, a good longe program can be so great for a horse. I am riding a 4yo twice a week for an owner who also longes the horse (properly, with side reins etc) twice a week. The improvement in the horse is noticable and the longing is definitely helping her gain strength and balance.

I am just glad that the owner is the one doing it and not me.

After they're broke enough that I can get on and trot a few circles? Never.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Default Lunging

I am confused....it isn't good for the horses? I was taught that you lunged a young horse for 6 months daily (short periods) before ever starting to ride them....I always thought that was excessive...so I would appreciate some input on that also!

Almost never. Grew up in the era where you just got on and rode, if you couldn't you put someone else up on him for a few minutes to get the bucks out, then you got on. Its not great soundness-wise either.

Working on a small circle stresses a horse's joints. I've always tried to use lunging judiciously.

I am also a believer in the "just get on and ride" school. The exception was when I was pregnant. I did lunge my horse then!

Quote Originally Posted by dcf13050 View Post
    I am confused....it isn't good for the horses? I was taught that you lunged a young horse for 6 months daily (short periods) before ever starting to ride them....I always thought that was excessive...so I would appreciate some input on that also!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Never, unless I'm putting the horse on the longe to assess soundness (like at a vet appointment or something). Having a horse that has had a suspensory injury really makes you re-think the whole longeing thing. And rehabbing one from a suspensory injury also gives you a whole new perspective on what is "too fresh" to ride through, lol! (Nothing).

Never. My horse would look at me like I'm crazy. I don't think he's been lunged in over 5 years. But he's pretty mellow and partially retired and on turnout 24/7.

In his younger years, we had one day a week where he just worked on the lunge line in a Pessoa type rig. I'd also lunge him to get the bucks out, as needed.

At home? Never. At shows? Usually every morning, if the horse needs some "wee hee" time. My mare never, ever needs lunging.

My trainer lunges the unbroke ones with saddle and bridle until the buck is gone (if there is one). Then he (or the assistant) climbs on. I've also seen him round pen one or two if the horse comes out of the barn snorting before he gets on. That's about it.

I've never seen my trainer use lunging as a "training" tool.

You just climb on 99% of the horses in my trainer's barn. Perhaps he just doesn't keep the silly ones around. I dunno?

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Never, unless I'm putting the horse on the longe to assess soundness (like at a vet appointment or something). Having a horse that has had a suspensory injury really makes you re-think the whole longeing thing. And rehabbing one from a suspensory injury also gives you a whole new perspective on what is "too fresh" to ride through, lol! (Nothing).
    This.

I grew up in a h/j barn that was very pro-lunging, so for a long time I lunged several times a week prior to riding.

Now, with a horse that's had 2 suspensory/splint issues in the last 18 months, I see lunging basically as the devil.

This means that last weekend, I took my OTTB to his very first show and schooled him at 7am, in a brisk wind, when it was about 45 degrees out--with NO lunging first. Just got on on and rode. Not my favorite choice of riding activity, especially since I am a huge wuss, but the thought of lunging him was scarier than the thought of getting bucked off!
    friend of bar.ka

Normally, hardly ever, but for the past few weeks, it has been for about 10-15 minutes before every ride (3-4x/wk.) and with side reins. She takes a long time to warm up, and lunging helps get her warmed up without completely tiring me out in the process. If I don't lunge her, I don't have a lot of energy left at the end of the ride. And lest anyone be critical and say that I need to be more "fit" in order to have better stamina, well, all I can respond with is that I've lost 35 lbs. since August and am getting way more fit and DO have better endurance now than before, but it sure doesn't happen overnight.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."