The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default BN A dressage canter circles

I got a comment on my dressage test that I was confused by.

11. between H and C working canter right lead.

12. C circle right 20m working canter Needs elasticity and deeper into corners

How far into the corners am I supposed to go when doing a circle?

Here's a screen cap from my test during a canter cicle

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20892581@N04/5097873410/

do you see how your horse is sort of falling in on the corner? I would guess that he is very straight, very little suppleness or inside bend through his body. I would like to see the picture from the side because my thought are that "elasticity" might have to do suppleness in the neck or lack of elasticity of the reins but difficult to tell from the back.

In your corners, you need to think of riding your horse as if you were standing him onto his outside shoulder, riding him more upright into the corners. Right now you are sort of riding him like there's a circle there and you are zooming right through it like a car on a track. Use your corner to set him up. Halfhalt before the corner, shoulder fore so that he his stepping up under his belly with his inside hind leg. That will also set up for a nice canter at C.

Does that make sense?
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

I understand the elasticity problem, but I was confused by how I should ride deeper into the corners onto a circle. Do I need to be closer to the corners?

Yes, ride him into the corners...just a stride or two...again, I think you need to stand him up into the corners vs. zooming him around it because he's really tilted and collapsing to the inside.

If you can fix the elasticity problem you will be able to ride him into the corners better.

Circles do not have corners! (there's nothing like stating the bloody obvious ?)
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

There are no corners in a circle, but immediately before the circle (as you pick up the canter between H and C) and immediately after the circle (before you trot between M and B) there ARE. Perhaps that's where she wanted to see a distinct difference between being on a circle and not?

Sometimes the comments don't match up precisely with the movement. Scribes aren't perfect, neither are judges. My guess would be she wanted the horse bending more into the corners before and after your circles.
    Click here before you buy.

NO. Circles don't have corners. You are correct. You should be making a smooth arch from C, to a point 10m up the rail from the corner. Measure it out at home so you can see it- but you are correct.

I agree with what was said above- the judge probably wanted a deeper corner before or after the circle and it got written in the wrong box.

Ok, so to ride the test better where in these movements should I be going into the corners more if the comment was out of place?

9. AKEH working trot need upward connection on right rein

10. c circle right 20m working trot
    need more energy

11. between H and C working canter right lead

No comment

12. C circle right 20m working canter

Need elasticity in horse and ride deeper into corner

13. Between M and B working trot

Need better balance

Between H and C, and then again between C and M. Your circle starts at C and ends at C. The rest of the time you spend down there is NOT circles.

Not all moves are perfectly distinct in the written test where you get a score for each precise movement, like a circle or transition. That happens later, in the higher levels. At BN, movement #12, the circle, also includes riding OUT of the circle, through the corner, and up to the point where you make your down transition to trot.

Maybe that's the issue I am having trouble with? I interpret that movement as: cantering on the circle continue on straight when you get to the part of the circle that touches the rail. If I come out of the circle to touch the corners before going down the rail then I'm not completing my circle.

We're just now doing WTC tests and it's a work in progress so I'd at least like to get points for my figures and movements being accurate.
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Oct. 20, 2010 at 10:09 PM.

A circle is 360 degrees. Once around, from letter to letter, no more and no less. At no point in a genuine, correct circle are you going in a straight line. But JUST before and JUST after the circle, you and the horse should be straight, lined up with the rail. You started your circle at C, no sooner. You finished your circle at C, no later.

Default oops!

My apologies...I looked at the picture again, and I thought that was after you finished the circle...didn't realize that your was your canter circle.

The canter circle is from C to C. From H to C, you need to ride a corner.... then ride a circle at C, then from C to M ride a corner before cantering down the long side to your trot transition between M and B.

Jennifer

IMO a circle should have 3 points on the rail (at an end) and 2 when circling in the middle. Your corners are not deep as it is not a square.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    12. C circle right 20m working canter

Need elasticity in horse and ride deeper into corner

13. Between M and B working trot

Need better balance
    So I think the problem you are running into here is that people aren't realizing that before you do the canter circle, you must do a twenty meter trot circle at C. First, starting at C, you begin a 20 meter circle. Before the circle ends at C, you should transition to the canter, stated as between H and C. I read this as transitioning on the circle (not going deep into that corner) and maintaining the integrity of the 20 m trot circle, just transitioning to canter in the last 1/4 of the circle. The complete another 20 meter circle at the canter at C. This means you would do 2 twenty meter circles in a row at C, just different gaits.

However, I definitely think that comment meant you need to go deep into the corner AFTER you complete the 20 meter canter circle. Notice there's not really a place for the judge to comment on the corner....s/he can either leave the comment about going deep into the corner next to the 20 meter circle, or next to the transition. I think, especially considering there was no comment about the corner for the transition to canter (nominally between H and C) that the judge meant to go deep into the corner after the canter circle.

Also, don't forget to take judges comments with a grain of salt. Some judges like different things. One particular movement in the prelim test (where you drop your reins for a few steps at the trot) seems to have contradictory explanations from different knowledgeable sources. Some want the horse to stretch down and others want the horse to maintain the frame. I have been judged both ways during tests. So take the comments, and make an effort to learn (as you have done here!), but don't necessarily take each comment as ironclad.

Good luck!

Divine, that is true--I just rode the very same test this weekend and was not thinking clearly. That said, what happens before and after a circle needs to be treated entirely differently than riding an actual circle.

ETR, if you go to my "Go Bonnie" thread there is a video of my trainer doing the very same test on my horse. Very good score, and correctly-ridden corners.