The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ok. I have lived in a horsey-place for several years now. Back in college, I worked in a tack store (raleigh, NC) all four years. I was always very careful to be polite, welcoming and helpful.

HOWEVER....

There are two tack stores, and the tack stores in this particular city are most unhelpful. No "hello". No "can we help you". I can pick out my products and then stand at the counter for a few minutes waiting for them to acknowledge me to check out.

I always try to be nice and polite to them, and say "please and thank you".

They are not overly rude to me, but just act like I am not at all worth their time. They give me this look of (what I see as) pure distain.

Perhaps I am not one of the "rich crowd" here? But how would they know that I am or not?

Its not just the employees either, its the owner(s).

So this is a small vent. But, I like to keep local dollars in the area, and would hate to just switch over to catalogs only. But I am getting more and more willing to do so everytime I go in those two stores.

I find myself always leaving there asking "why do they have to be sooo rude?"
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Ok. I have lived in a horsey-place for several years now. Back in college, I worked in a tack store (raleigh, NC) all four years. I was always very careful to be polite, welcoming and helpful.

HOWEVER....

There are two tack stores, and the tack stores in this particular city are most unhelpful. No "hello". No "can we help you". I can pick out my products and then stand at the counter for a few minutes waiting for them to acknowledge me to check out.

I always try to be nice and polite to them, and say "please and thank you".

They are not overly rude to me, but just act like I am not at all worth their time. They give me this look of (what I see as) pure distain.

Perhaps I am not one of the "rich crowd" here? But how would they know that I am or not?

Its not just the employees either, its the owner(s).

So this is a small vent. But, I like to keep local dollars in the area, and would hate to just switch over to catalogs only. But I am getting more and more willing to do so everytime I go in those two stores.

I find myself always leaving there asking "why do they have to be sooo rude?"
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

We have a really nice tack store. But before it opened I always ordered most of my english stuff b/c I refused to give my money to a rude tack shop staff. I went to the "western" tack shops for the basic needs (shampoos, flysprays, treats etc.). And there was always Dover for my english needs (yes it cost more in shipping but at least I was treated courteously). I do believe in supporting local tack shops, but when they are unhelpful, unknowledgable, or rude; I don't believe in spending my money there. But that goes for any shop. I actually live in a small town and I have never shopped locally for clothes b/c all of the clothing stores stocked things that weren't good quality and were extremely expensive. So I drove an extra 30 miles into "town". Fifteen years later this small town is devoid of any type of clothing stores for that reason (I heard neighbors and friends complain about the same problem w/ the quality and price of the products). I think it's a personal thing for everyone. I, though, refuse to be treated badly and shop w/ that in mind.

I got tired of dealing with that kinda crap at my local tack shop. I'd spent thousands in there, over the years, bought saddles, bridles, x-country vests for me and my 2 daughters, the list goes on. Went in to use a gift certificate I'd received for my birthday and had in my wallet for ages. Turns out it had expired the day before, they weren't going to honour it. I pointed out how many years I've been shopping there, the tons of money I've spent, and talked them into letting me use it. I made my purchase, walked out of the store and never set foot in there again. This is a NICE tack store, with quality stock and very close to home. I now drive out of my way to the next closest store, or buy online. I've also made a point of spreading this story to everyone I know encouraging them not to shop there. You shouldn't have to deal with that. Shop online if you have no other choice, besides you can often get better deals on the net.
    \"Throw your heart over the fence and your horse will follow\"

That is what I was thinking.

I mean, I called smartpak and dover yesterday just to inquire about some of their products before I decided to order, and they were MOST helpful and NICE.

NICE. Can you imagine??? I have almost forgotten what that was like!

There is a tack shop near where I lived (and will be living) in Maryland that I go to ONLY if I NEED something NOW! Now, these are the employees, not the owners, but they are always so snotty. I HATE going in there, and I CERTAINLY wouldn't ask for any advice. I remember when I was young, my parents, who are not horsey, would go in the tack store (not the same one) with me and ask the people who worked there questions about something I needed. I remember them being very helpful, and they knew what they were doing. The place where I go in Maryland is NOT that way at all. They are nice (on the surface, if you know what I mean) and always ask if you need help, but I always get this feeling that they think of me as inferior when I check out, and God forbid I say "Yes" when they asked me if I needed help. Other than immediate necessities, I always shop online.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Glad I am not the only one.

Unfortunately this place is my closest access for Nutrena feed, so I had to go there yesterday.

I ALWAYS leave with this really down, worthless feeling.

Bugs - "but I always get this feeling that they think of me as inferior when I check out" Yep, me too. And I KNOW I am making more money than they are, but they still treat you like nothing..... I don't get it.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Go where you're comfortable. Personally, if I felt I was being treated rudely, I likely would not go back. I have no problem giving my money to the nicest person. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    Then again, it is nice to have local stores if you need something ASAP ...
    Naters, I'm curious which tack store you worked at. There was one I never felt too comfortable in for the same reasons you're describing. I apparently wasn't spending enough there to make common pleasantries worth their time. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I had a bad experience with a very large, well known tack store in the NE (and no it's not one of the big catalog places). I drove over an hour to get there and arrived just as they openend. They were still sorting out registers and such so I just browsed the stuff near the checkout since I knew I had questions. After they apparently got settled, I watched the staff walk up to people who obviously had more money (based on jewelry and dress) and ignore me. I finally wandered the store and found what I wanted but, as expected, I had questions so I went up and stood in line at checkout. When I got up to the counter, I was told everyone was busy and someone would be with me. So, I stood around and waited and waited and waited near the counter. Finally I grabbed someone as she was walking by. By this time I was furious and started to tell her what had happened to me. She cut me off saying it wasn't HER fault in a nasty tone. I well, kind of lost it. Didn't raise my voice but I returned her tone and told her not to get "snitty" with me! Told her that wasn't the way to appease an angry customer (I've done customer service in one form or another my entire adult life). Boy did her demeanor change! She answered my questions. Is thanked her and I bought the item. Needless to say though, I never went back. I was the first person in the store, wanted one item, and it took me over an hour.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Don't dwell on it..go in, get what you want/need,go to the counter and politely ask if someone would like to take your money..professional, calm , businesslike..and out. If you want to browse, ignore the help until they speak to you directly...don't feed the Trolls...
    As Patrick Swayze said in Roadhouse..."BE NICE!!!"

Pie..That's not my definition of a NICE tack shop...they're well-stocked and attractive/clean, but definitely not nice....
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

I went to a nearby tack store a few months ago and inquired about an inexpensive schooling helmet helmet for my daughter. After waiting while this uppity woman got done brown-nosing some obviously well-off riders, she got around to me. After I explained to her my needs, I caught her rolling her eyes to another employee. Then she juts her left hip out and asks, "Well who do you RIDE with?" I replied, "Well, I'll pretty much ride with anyone who wants to ride with me, but I only have a two-horse trailer so it would be only one other person but if I had a four horse trailer it would allow three other people and that would be more fun."
    It went downhill from there. I eventually told her I'd go elsewhere and she absolutely didn't care. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif
    SouvenirFarm.com: Rustic Wall Decor & Garden Accents | Gifts for Nature, Garden & Horse Lovers | MerryLegs Horse Christmas Stockings

one lane road - I worked at horse cents (capital blvd) from 1997 to 2001.

I worked the afternoons after I was done with classes (usually 3 to 630pm or so).

The manager @ Horse Cents (Julia - not sure who it is now)
    was exceptionally nice, and funny to everyone that walked in, and she expected nothing less of me.

We specialized in mostly beginners to advanced intermediate riders, dealt with lots of families and even had a really great consigment selection (b/c kids grow so fast).

Also, I know the tack store you are talking about, I went in there ONE time when I first moved to Raleigh, and never went back, once I found Horse Cents.

there is a local shop near where i live that used to be great. then new people bought it, and the people working there are terrible! some of them are downright RUDE, others are just uninformed about horses and don't really know what they are selling. after they really messed up an order, and were EXTREMELY rude, and although THEY made the error they would only issue store credit (not a refund) i haven't been back. i'll drive further or order online. it's not ideal, but they won't be getting my money.

Now, when you take away your business from them, do you tell them why?

Or not?

Our local tack shop is actually staffed with nice people. I send new students there all the time (instead of the clueless Petsmart with the State Line Tack) to buy boots, helmets, etc. Students are always telling me how helpful and kind the people at the tack shop are... even if they sell them cheap boots and hideously colored helmets (bright pink?!).

I really can't think of any tack shops I've been to that the employees/owners have been snotty and rude. Usually they are extremely helpful... although ocassionally pushy. I must be lucky...

Amen sisters/brothers! I am there, doing that. I actually used to drive an hour and a half completely out of my way just because the tack store staff were SO helpful. And nice. And did I say helpful? Now that I live on The Mountain, I drive over two hours to get there even though there are tons of tack stores in the Portland area, simply because I am tired of rude employees, people who look at the farm truck I drive and assume that because it's an older truck that I don't have any $$$ and am not worth helping (aside: One day I stopped at a previously rude store with the new truck and the six horse on the way to a horse show in a "oh crap, forgot the XXX" moment-you should have seen the jaws drop when I walked in. It was a totally different experience.) It's not that I don't have any $$$, it's that I value it and I value my time and I enjoy wasting neither. Anyway, I just love "my" tack store-Double H in Salem, OR. The manager and her staff have gone totally above and beyond to help me-even on inexpensive purchases. One experience I am reminded of every time I halter one of my horses: I had stopped in one day and seen some big D halters in our farm colors-with overlay on the cheeks, nose, and crown pieces. I bought it. I liked it so much that I went in a few weeks later to purchase several more, but couldn't find any with overlay on the crown-The manager acutally called big D to see if they could ship some more when she found out the only reason the one I had had overlay where it did was because they'd just hired a new person who accidentally put the overlay on. Manager then convinced big D manager to make me some special order halters with overlay on crown-when I asked additional cost, she said oh, how about $5? Now I just call up and say "hi, it's me, I'd like 4 big D halters in the 104A size, marroon with navy overlay and overlay on the crown too please" and she says, ok we'll call you when they're in.

Sorry about the long post, but I've really had it with rude tack stores. I don't even bother going to a new one anymore since I usually get treated like dirt or ignored.
    "And remember-if it gets really bad, there's always tequila..." J.P.

No horse should be Peepless

If I remember correctly (as it was a few years ago). After I convinced them to let me use the expired gift certificate, and made my purchase, I politely told them I wouldn't be back. (this was one of the store owners I was dealing with). I'm sure I also told them, I'd be repeating what they did, to all my horse friends. I don't think they cared - they're huge, and pretty well known in Ontario, so probably didn't think it would hurt them. But as I said that was several years ago, and I still refuse to go in there - when I see they're booth at the Royal Winter Fair, I refuse to in. (I'm such a bad ass) http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

Edited to add - I was recently in Kentucky and went to Wise Choice Tack store in Lexington - on the advice of fellow BBers, and they were the NICEST NICEST people in there. So helpful, I came back the next day and they remembered me, asked where we were staying, recommended some places for us to go see. AND, when I couldn't decide if I needed the britches I had tried on (I collect britches), they happily wrote out the name/size etc for me, told me if I changed my mind when I got home, they'd ship to me. That's my kind of tack store!!!
    \"Throw your heart over the fence and your horse will follow\"

Under the unsympathetic glare of law professors and the socratic method...

Equinetech...

Have you tried Gallops in Tigard? I have had good experiences with them everytime I go in; I took my fiance in to get paddock boots (he had never bought a pair before, and is just catching the horsey bug at age 25), and they were very nice and patient while he tried on different styles, etc. Also, they didn't have plain baby pads once when I was in there, and instead of suggesting something innappropriate that they did have, the girl mentioned e-bay.

Most of the employees seem pretty knowledgeable, and they've always been very nice to us when we go in; when they didn't have a pair of Dansko paddocks in my size, and I needed them the next day, they gave me names of a few other shops in the area that might have some.
    \"Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?\" RIP Hunter S. Thompson 1937-2005

Member of the Ebay addicts, warmblood, child of

Pie, I bet I know what chain you are talking about. I have also had some not so nice dealings with them. It is true, they just don't care if you spend your $ there or not... I have been particularly set on avoiding them since they ran a very nice, family run tack store out of buisness back home.

CB
    Freedom is the ability not to care what the other person thinks...

Got air?! Member of the Asthmatic Riders Clique

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There are two tack stores, and the tack stores in this particular city are most unhelpful. No "hello". No "can we help you". I can pick out my products and then stand at the counter for a few minutes waiting for them to acknowledge me to check out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Actually, I much prefer this to the employees that follow me around the store.
    If you want more service though, ask for it. Walk in the door, get within hearing distance of the closest and least occupied employee, and say something along the lines of "Hi, I need items X, Y, and Z. Can you locate those for me?" Then follow THEM around to the items so you can okay them as they pick them up. When they've got everything together, thank them and follow them to the checkout.