The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Living and riding around London?

I know there are a few people that live in the UK who post on here so I thought I would ask.

I am tossing around the idea of moving to London and am trying to figure out how difficult it would be for me to continue to ride. I would likely not have a car and would be living around the Spitalfields area. I have experience with green horses, hunters and jumper so am pretty flexible in that sense. I know I likely won't be able to ride as much as I do now (6 days a week) but I would want to ride more then once a week. The option to lease down the road would be ideal. This wouldn't be until next fall so I have plenty of time to do research etc and would be making a trip over before to check things out.

Any insight and/or links would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

I don't know about London as I live 100 miles north of it but in the UK, it's common for people to loan horses if they can't afford to buy. Leasing ins't really common here (except maybe for top level horses) but ironically, loaning is. My horse, a lovely TB is on loan to me but some people part loan, have sharers, etc. There are all kinds of variations.

London is VERY expensive to live and keep a horse but it is doable if you are willing to travel to outer London area (but a car will be useful) or have a really well paid job!

Your best bet would be to go on the Horse and Hound forum as there are many Londoners on there!
    http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/

Thanks for the reply I will do a post on H & H also and see what people say. I am trying to figure out approx. monthly costs to get an idea as to whether or not I would even be able to do it. Unfortunately there is not a huge amount of flexibility as to where I can live as my boyfriend needs to be in that area.