The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default farms in Montgomery or Howard Co's, MD?

I posted in Off Course, but it seems there are more local riders in the Eventing forum than most anywhere, so here goes again..

Can anyone think of any farms within 20-30 miles of Boyds, MD that offer field board? I'm doing the usual internet/word of mouth/Equiery searches but hoping someone can help turn up a place I wouldn't otherwise come across.

Big, small, private, public, busy, empty, I have no preference.. just need good care, safe facilities, a ring and the ability to ride in the evenings after work. No need for a trainer or training program as I'm not a competitive rider, though affordable lessons would be a bonus. Would like to think I'm a respectful boarder and competent owner, appreciate the same in fellow boarders but am aware that's probably dreaming a little too big

Any direction would be appreciated. I seem to keep coming across the same 10-15 farms and would be psyched to see some other options. Thanks!!

Default Good News Farm

Has field board, indoor and great care.

Playland Farm is in Union Bridge, but I think within 30 miles of Boyds.

Very affordable, lovely facility. www.playlandequestriancenter.com
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

Which ones are you aware of? I wouldn't want to give the same ones you already know .

Mountain View Farm in Barnesville, MD
    My mom boards her horse there and it's just been completely renovated. Beautiful property & facility. Only a few boarders so far.
    240-367-5414 Belt

We have field board available in Montgomery Co. (Silver Spring area). Large outdoor w/ lights and jumps, 10 acre hacking field, wash stall, individual tack lockers, round pen. Fields have heated troughs and run-ins. A stall is also available if horse needs stall rest. 2 trainers (but your not required to take lessons). We do not offer lessons to the public, so things stay pretty quiet. PM me if you are interested.
    Happy Hour-TB
    Cowboy Casanova - Brandenburg
    Isadora - Palomino TB

20 - 30 miles covers a pretty big distance. In Boyds/Dickerson there's Mountain View, Wyndam Oaks, Nothing Fancy, Canterbury (don't know if they do field board or not anymore though), Moon Rising, Bascule. Further out in Howard County - Waredaca , Pleasant Prospect. Some of your better choices might not have field board anymore though,

Shaq - does Good News have a website. A friend of mine might be looking to relocate here and Good News might be a good option for her.. can you PM w/ more info if you don't feel comfortable posting in the open.

Thanks

Yep, I picked a pretty big radius I don't mind driving and often find myself all over Mo county and Frederick county so lots of areas could work for me and I'm keeping my options open.

Buglet, I'll PM you shortly! Sounds lovely.

Most of the ones I'm familiar with are the ones that come up with websites on the internet searches.. Waredaca, A Bit Better, Bascule, Faircroft and some of the less discipline specific ones like Nothing Fancy, Potomac Riverside, etc.

Thanks for the leads! There are a few names in there I don't recognize so I'll definitely try to dig up some more info and contact a few folks Much appreciated!!

Another vote for Playland Farm. They have a website, so you can see pictures of the facility.

Just an FYI, in the most technical sense, Faircroft no longer exists. But, really, we just moved on to bigger and better things and we took on the name of our new farm because of it. www.bennettscreekfarm.com Unfortunately, our prime real estate for field boarders was taken up by the new indoor , so we can't really do field boarders. But, it's a cool place, and deserves a mention.

Moore Hebert Dressage at Alsikkan Farm offers field board for students (you have to take a lesson a week). It is newly renovated and the only private facility in Germantown, Maryland, which is a lot closer to anyone in the DC/Bethesda/Rockville area than most barns in the area - 3 miles off exit 16 on rte 270.

Grey Rock Ranch is in Boyds. I kept my horse there until I moved to VA and my horse got great care. I can't remember if the ring had lights but there was a grass ring and stone ring. It is a very informal barn with no lesson program. There are lots of great trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Moody Mare View Post
    Mountain View Farm in Barnesville, MD
    My mom boards her horse there and it's just been completely renovated. Beautiful property & facility. Only a few boarders so far.
    240-367-5414 Belt
    I'm not currently looking for a place to board, but in a year or two I might be. I couldn't find any info about field board there, but it looks like a very nice farm. Do they offer field board? Any idea about what it costs?

Camelot Farm near Columbia. I didn't board there as I don't have a horse, but I used to take lessons with the manager. It's not a fancy place but neat with a lit dressage arena and a jumping field.
    http://camelot-farm.webs.com/services.htm
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Destination Farm in Dickerson- not sure if they offer field board but its run by Natalie Hollis, Suz Cornue & Melissa Hunsberger. Awesome group.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."