The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Southern Pines I?

Tess and I are going to the Adult Rider camp in NC, then doing our first event of the year at Southern Pines I.

Who is going? Would you mind telling me about the BN cross country course?

We have worked up to 4 minute trot sets, two minutes of walk between them and one minute hand gallop sets. It has been so wet here that I have not been able to do consistent hill work, so all conditioning has been in the outdoor sand arena. I am hoping that Tess will be fit enough. The conditioning sets are done 2 or 3 times per week, with dressage and jumping scattered on other days.

I got Tessie's feet trimmed today by Dr. Bras at Rood and Riddle (so far, he is the only farrier in KY, who does them they way that I like them done). Tess has had a thyroid issue and been quite plump (mirroring me again, I guess ). Today, Dr. Bras said that she looks really good. He could tell that she had been using her abdominal muscles correctly. Yay! I have been working so hard to get her weight back down to a 6. The Thyro-L seems to work much better than the substitute product that the Vet gave me when nobody could get Thyro-L. The hard workouts have helped both of us.

Back to why I originally posted, before I got off track. Any words of wisdom for Southern Pines would greatly be appreciated!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Southern Pines I is typically a nice, easy way to start the season. The course will likely be inviting log and rolltop type fences. There are 2 water complexes but at BN usually you just pass through. There is some mild terrain with only a couple bigger hills on course. The footing is sandy turf and is almost always quite good, even at training there I use hardly more than grass studs. If it rains, the dressage and SJ arenas can get sloppy.

Good luck and have fun!

Thank you! Action42,

There are 132 views and you are the only person to respond.

My mare is barefoot. She goes well in sloppy or dry footing. I am lucky that I do not have to worry about which studs to use.

I have a friend who will be riding Novice. She was riding Training when I met her, so I doubt that she has ridden the BN course.

Keep in mind that with many of the courses around, CHP included, course designers make use of portables. The course can (and should) change from year to year.

No real words of wisdom, but welcome to NC!

The footing is really good xc, and the stadium has a new surface that seems to reduce slippage in wet weather. Sounds like your fitness routine should be plenty for BN, the terrain is mild except for one moderate hill and at BN speed is not a priority

Are you keeping your horse in the CHP stabling? I was planning on starting a SP roll call thread and deliver some COTH refreshments Friday evening. A little pre-show liquid courage
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Buildingthegrove.blogspot
    The Grove at Five Points

Well this is making me feel better . It's my little red racehorse's first EVER BN.
    I am stabling on grounds ACME and could use some liquid courage
    There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse-Robert Smith Surtees
    Breeding TBs, Connemaras and TB/Conn crosses for eventing
    www.twistoffateeventing.com

We will be around - Mr. PM competing at Novice and I am trying to squeeze in a slot in an Olaf Larson clinic and a schooling HDT that weekend as well. I suspect the HDT ain't gonna happen, but so it goes. . .

I'm stewarding in the dressage.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

We are staying at the B&B's, which include stabling, in Vass, so will be trailering over. All of the folks in the camp, who are riding in the event, are planning to come over on Friday to pick up packets and walk the courses.

ACMEventing,
    If you let us know where you might be giving out some "liquid courage", my DH and I will definitely be there!

jen-s,
    I will be on a bay mare. I plan on wearing a navy coat and canary breeches. If the weather is very cold, I may switch to my FITS polartec breeches. They are tan. My mare is "Tessie's Brite Star". Hopefully, I will have a chance to meet you.

twistoffate,
    I will look for your stall number. Maybe we can walk the BN course together? It is nice to see you that you are showing again.

Sounds like fun for all!

When it gets closer I'll send out a shout and plan on a stabling area walk-through with the rolling cooler. We can have a pre show (or maybe post XC) toast. I'll make sure to mark the cooler with a big sign that says ACME so you know it's me

Pegasusmom, just go to Sam's Club and get the extra large box of Calgon
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    The Grove at Five Points

Auburn--Canary Breeches! Love! But regardless, I'll be keeping an eye out for you and your mare. I'll be the gimptastic steward with an awkward left hand/wrist splint.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

Auburn- I'd love to walk the course with you. I'll let ya know where I'm stabled as soon as I know. I'm glad to be back out and about too . Look forward to seeing everyone! I'll be on the little Chestnut rock star AKA Skipping Class
    There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse-Robert Smith Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    Sounds like fun for all!

Pegasusmom, just go to Sam's Club and get the extra large box of Calgon
    Ummm, yeah. However, things be changin'. . . and that's all I am sayin'

Bumping to check in! Anyone else driving down (sans trailer) on Saturday from the Triangle area?

Is there electric in the barns?

Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by twistoffate View Post
    Is there electric in the barns?
    The barns, quite frankly, are some of the best competition barns in the country. Large stalls, stall mats, electric at every stall, nice large overhang, and easy load and unload. Eye hooks already installed to hang buckets and an ingenious system, suggested by David O'Brien, to hand your stall guards on.

1 members found this post helpful.

I will be driving one of the hospitality carts this weekend! Say hi!

Quote Originally Posted by piaffequeen View Post
    I will be driving one of the hospitality carts this weekend! Say hi!
    Then the COTH cooler will be a welcome sight at the end of the day!
    The Grove at Five Points

Now's the time I wish I had a "I'm a COTHer" name badge...