The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB mares

I have asked for help before from you guys before and you were wonderful, but at the time of my previous search a lot of crap came up and it took over my time of looking for a broodmare. Well know all that has been settled and I am in pursuit again. I am hoping to find something in North Florida and for not a lot of money. So how do I go about finding me a nice TB broodmare, I'm within about a 2 hour drive from Ocala so that would be perfect and then there would be plenty to look at, So please point me in the right direction. TIA

Well, you missed the 1st day of the Ocala Mixed sale (today) but there's always tomorrow . . .

http://www.obssales.com/

And there's a winter mixed sale in January.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Darn that stinks, oh well. Maybe we will hit the one in January if we haven't found anything by then. Does any one know of some large farms close by that would have several to look at?

You are so much better off going to the sale! A huge variety and a lot of no or low reserves. Farms will probably price them higher to a private buyer and you won't get to see nearly as many.

Yes, OBS is the place for you--if you can make it there tomorrow. Any farm that has several mare to sell would have entered them in the sale.

Well even at the sale the good ones still make a good price.
    One of my picks a young mare with ok bloodlines, in-foal with her 1st foal made $21,000, She was a nice big mare that I would consider a sport horse type my other pick, not neccessarily Sport Horse but a nicely bred mare was 95k

There's lots out there right now. If you want to pm me I have a few that I know of that are nicely bred that are going for a song. Just let me know exactly what you are wanting.

Are you looking for racing or sport?
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

If you go to the sale, see something you like (but who the folks breeding for the racetrack don't like) and she doesn't get a bid . . . if you follow the handler back to the stall, you might be able to make a heck of a deal - better than at a farm close by with a number to look at. There are a number of mares who might be exactly what you want AT the sale & many of the sellers are VERY motivated.

Example: I looked at a mare at a private farm several years ago. Her asking price (open) was $8,500 a year earlier & when I saw her at the farm, in foal to a new regional sire - they wouldn't even put a price on her (unless you were willing to give the foal back). We crossed her off the list, then she went to sale (still in foal to said new regional sire) & we figured "above our budget" & didn't plan to bid.

But there were precious few buyers at that sale & she had no reserve. She sold for less than $2,000. We got a great mare AND the foal & she stood in our barn until the day she died.

At these sales, business needs often over-ride sentimentality & the horses GO, no matter how low the price. And the beauty of it is that what YOU value in a mare isn't necessarily what the racetrack buyers will value - so you might get one heck of a deal.

If you REALLY are ready to buy - and can get to the sale - this is where you should be.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Thanks KBEquine, that is wonderful and helpful advice. Unfortunately I can't make it tomorrow, if I knew about it sooner and had time to arrange I could do it. So maybe the January sale if I haven't found anything by then.

Just information about the kind of horses at the sale - and prices. These folks were concentrating on geldings & show horses, but there are some sale results. They also post the results on the OBS website.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=272646