The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horses, Clearing Your Head, Road Work Irish Style

Lately, I have been in not such a good place. Won't go into details, but lets just say some things that have been staring me blind in the face are only now being delt with. No don't worry this has nothing to do with letting my animals down or taking on too much or going crazy. Just some changes that have to be made. So needless to say, I've been a little depressed. I hide it well but for the last week, it's all been catching up.

My trainer rings me on Sunday night to tell me Abba needs food. No he's not chincey, it's just she's on that special non soy diet blah de blah de blah and he at least puts up with my non soy rule. Anywho, he tells me he's hacking out the 2 hunters and do I want to do a bit of road work in the morning. No thanks I say, just really not in a good place to be riding at the moment. That's all that was said.

So yesterday, I head over with the food and trainer says, "come on we've got 8 miles of road work to do." I'm like no way, didn't bring my gear and I told you I'm not really in a riding place. But of course he would have a helmet that fits my tiny head and I get pretty much a cop on retort. Fine fair enough, we set off. My hunter is 17 hands of pure ISH or something akin to a percheron in my book. He was absolutely a doll and trainer got me talking about all sorts of things to do with horses and by the end of 8 miles, I felt pretty darn good and have to admit the rest of my day was quite nice. OK, I did have a sore arse! But before CoTHer's put 4 and 4 together and get 10, this is nothing more than a friendship and it is nice to have friends such as these at the moment.

So today I went back over with my gear as I did feel a bit nekid without my chaps yesterday. Think we went further today. But it's amazing the scenery from the back of a horse. You see so much more than driving in a car. The little things you never take notice of suddenly come into focus. It was a mostly sunny gorgeous fall day with that wonderful crisp air. So I snapped a picture of us going over the overpass.

http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=004.jpg

OK not the greatest of pics, but you can see we are going over an overpass and there's a rainbow for added effect! Very hard for me to ride and snap pics so sorry I didn't get more. And you do also have to mind the traffic so not an easy task.

But have to admit, I am loving the hacking out on the roads. OK big grey wasn't too happy about it being trash day - hates the big plastic wheelie bins. And school letting out for recess was interesting but wow, it's just really fun. Also I never knew how many people in Ireland have donkeys. Really, you just miss that in the car.

So yeah, the outside of a horse is really good for the inside of the soul, or however that saying goes.

Terri

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

As the Irish would say: Grand!

good to hear you have sensible friends that know how to make you feel better!

Glad you put the world to rights. Whatever crap is being thrown your way, keep riding and you'll keep sane.

Oh, and the saying is: There's nothing so good for the inside of a man as the outside of a horse... not sure who said it mind.

I hope all resolves well for you!

And yes. Sometimes I get to the barn, and I see my boy waiting at the gate, and he gives me that whicker...and then nothing seems quite that bad.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Things will be fine. I am so very lucky on so many different levels. Just sometimes you have to do what you know in your heart is right, even if it's a difficult decision.

Terri

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Your trainer is a genius. Just hanging around horses keeps the world right-side-up sometimes.

I swear that saying is always attributed to Churchill, but it's recapitulated in the film Marnie as "Best thing in the world for the inside of a man or woman is the outside of a horse."
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Glad you have a trainer/friend who, without belabouring the pain of your sorrows and harping on them, can just quietly insist that you get you up and on your horse and hack out. Nothing better.

Smile Fair Play!

Fair Play to your trainer! It is truly a gift to have trainers who know us so well. My trainers are much the same, knowing just when to push and always knowing me better than I know myself. We ar every luck to have these fantastic people in our lives.....and my trainer is an Irish man aswell....you are very wise men
    ~Ride the horse you have today. Not yesterday, not what he should be, nor what you thought he was.

Yeah, he is quite a good guy and his other clients are just super people too. So really you can't help but be in a good mood around that barn! Should clarify, the hunter isn't actually mine, he's just mine this week for riding until he goes off to the sales next week. Really great timing that he's around now!

Terri

OMG, I miss Ireland...

I always want to skip the barn when I'm feeling crappy and sorry for myself and stressed, and if I make myself go out and see my horse or ride, it really does always make me feel so much better. In fact, I should probably get off the computer and go to the barn now...

That's the best thing I've read in weeks (well, read on COTH anyway.)

Good on you Terri. Horses rock.

Glad you've got something to keep your spirits up while you are having a hard time. Sometimes it is really difficult when you are feeling down about things to go and do the very thing that will make you feel better. It seems like a monumental task just to get up off the couch. But once we do it and get out to the barn, smell the smells, hear that soft nicker, whatever it is is not quite as bad as it was before. Perhaps the rainbow was a sign that all will be better soon.

more reinforcement that you don't need a therapist when you have a horse (or other animals, they all always make me feel better).

[QUOTE=SarahandSam;5167366]OMG, I miss Ireland...
    QUOTE]

amen. Amen.
    I could stare at that overpass pic for an hour. and i know, it's just an overpass. but, horseback! and ireland! and ISH'es!

le sigh.

Well at one stage my trainer looked back and said, "what are you taking pictures of and for?" Well I'm taking pictures for CoTH of course. We don't get to much of this kind of thing back home! Oh yeah, he says, forgot you were a yank.

Gotta say, that was the only useable on out of 10! Some great ones of Rico's mane, the road, my hand, ect, ect.

Terri

Good on ya, Terri.
    I've been going through a lot of tough personal stuff for the past year, and it never seems to let me go. Being around my boys helps me so much and helps me get perspective back.
    I went for a short hack two evenings ago, and it made me feel so much more myself- my DSO said to me "This is what you look like after your rides" and plastered a big silly grin on his face that made me laugh! I bet you looked exactly the same way - kind of like the muddy t-shirt in Forrest Gump.
    Glad you feel better too...I'm learning to deal with stuff in baby steps instead of trying to take everything on at once.
    Happy riding!
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I have to say I know exactly what you're saying. I am apt to let my riding slide because there's just so much other work to be done. As I work at the barn where I keep my horse I don't even have the excuse of travel time. We have just gone through some staffing changes so we have a new guy who needs supervision, I am trying to learn a new job and I have to leave the farm at a certain time (need to get daughter off bus, family committments, etc). Many days I get to the farm and feel overwhelmed at 8:00 in the morning and choose not to ride. After a few days of this, I start to question everything (why am I doing this? why am I killing myself to work if I'm not riding? what is the point of being dirty and cold/hot all the time?). However, one decent ride on my big teddy bear of an ISH and things are good again. The sad part is that I repeat this cycle regularly. One would think that I would learn by now!

A few horrible falls and wrecks notwithstanding, there has seldom been a bad day in my life that wasnt improved by a ride.

Last spring when Mr jeano was hospitalized (on life support, outcome doubtful) there were several weeks when I couldnt ride--not because I couldnt make time for it or didnt want to, but because I knew that if I got myself killed there wouldnt be anyone handy to look after Mr jeano's or my ancient mother's interests. I was suddenly indispensable and had to keep myself as safe as I could for the sake of those who depend on me.

At one point, though, I begged a coworker to come ride with me when she foolishly asked me if there was anything she could do. I said, yeah, babysit me, call 911 if there's a wreck, and promise me that if you let the horse kill me that you'll take care of my loved ones. And durn if she didnt go for a very short pony ride at a walk around the pond with me (all she was up for, not having ridden in years). Saved my sanity, it did.

After mr jeano was home and doing well I continued to (mostly) not ride until he was cleared to drive again. At that point I was able to stop worrying about what might happen if I got hurt.

Equilibrium, my horses have gotten me through the breakup of my first marriage, deaths of family members and beloved pets, and on and on. Keep ridin' girl.

I should send this thread to some 'friends.'

I found myself getting somewhat 'ring sour' this spring and decided all the beasties were going 'out' whether they liked it or not. We do not hack on overpasses in NJ !!! But there are several very nice parks and trail systems within 15-25 minute trailer ride from my farm.

If I could only persuade my 'friends' to leave the arena and just go in a straight line for several miles I'm ohh so sure they'd be happier right now...

OP I'm glad you enjoy the 'roading.' I agree that there are times when I have found I just have to force myself to get on and go in a straight line. Yet another reason why being a 'well rounded' horseman is so essential.