The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Holy sales pitch batman!!

I called a local tack store with some questions about one of those new memory foam saddle pads and wow did I ever get the run around. They specialize in saddle fitting so I guess it's not too much of a suprise but the lady got asking me why I wanted one (the answer, it sounds comfy for my horse, not to fix saddle problems) and how she thought I should book ($) a saddle fitting to make sure my saddle fit (have already had it fitted, fits fine) and if I didn't need a new saddle perhaps they could reflock the one I've got.

Umm no? I just want a saddle pad! Shesh! I'm not booking a saddle fitting, most certainly NOT buying a new saddle and don't need the one I have to be reflocked.

I thought that type of thing only happened at furniture stores or car dealerships! LOL
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

I hate that.

I don't know if it's that I'm getting bolder as I grow up or what, but the last time someone tried to push a sale on me, I told them nicely first that I was "just looking, thank you". The second time, I said the same, but used body language to show that I really was not interested in speaking with her, and walked away. The THIRD time was the last straw! I looked her in the eye and said "I actually like this, however I am going to purchase it elsewhere because you are pushing this sale after I have made it clear I do not want to be bothered." She started to say something, then walked away.

In another situation, a sales girl (like, maybe 15 years old?) was following me like a puppy in a GAP store. I was so tired of her telling me all the sales after saying "I'm just browsing" multiple times. Finally, I said to her "come here - I want to show you something" - I opened my purse and said "LOOK! NO WALLET!" she left me alone!

Wow you guys, people are just trying to do their jobs.

Maybe it's because I was one of those people who had to walk around and harass people in the store for a teeny tiny commission, but seriously. How can you treat people like that?

Oh geeze. My sister is, unfortunately, one of the annoying people who follow you around the gym trying to sell you vitamins and personal training sessions. Don't listen to her! You're just fine!!!!!!
    .Lauren.
    .Viewpoint Stables.

Look! I can say whatever I like since I used to work retail years ago! There is a difference in making a sale and being annoying! Can you honestly not tell the difference? I used to make more sales in one night by simply listening to the customers - we were a small store, but we beat out the large department stores on a regular basis due to OUR sales technique which involved courtesy and respect. The saddle lady was PRESSURING the woman that wanted a saddle pad - and by doing so, she may have lost a sale.

You worked retail years ago? Sales, and not just piddling around in the store, is all I have ever done. I completely agree that the people on this thread didn't follow even the simplest sales pitch. But I really doubt that a little girl at the GAP had any sales training, and neither did the woman in the tack store. Being irritated with them just because they don't know better is just as pointless as getting mad at a young horse.

Most of all though, I don't understand the "I can say what I want because I worked retail" idea. You, of all people, should understand what a-holes people can be, and I think that it's sad that now, you think it's FUNNY that you're being that a-hole to people, especially some little teen at the GAP.

If you had been there, you might have been the first to lecture her - she had NO boundaries and it was very uncomfortable.

I was actually very good at sales because of how I handled them. It was when the store I had worked for decided we should change our sales model that I decided to quit. They went from a very personalized touch to volume sales - something I abhor.

I do not value pressure sales at all, and I can smell one a mile away. I also know that any logical/reasonable sales person will relax/back off when a customer states "I'm just looking" or "no thanks". It gets very annoying when you try to be polite two or three times and then you are either stuck with leaving OR confronting the problem. Maybe I was more bitchy than I should have been with the 15 yr old, but I was at my wit's end and she was NOT GETTING IT. No matter how polite I had been. I had money, it just happened to be in my pocket and I really was looking for something, I just wanted to LOOK!!

A good product sells itself. I prefer not to be pressured and the OP should not have been pressured. She called about an item she wanted - she was informed about a service, turned it down, but instead of the sales person gracefully accepting, she turned up the "crazy" and it thus turned off the customer. That was not a good sales pitch. If she had just said "if you change your mind, let us know", the OP may have decided to try them this spring, OR even referred others who were looking for a saddle fitter.

I worked retail for years (plus bartending and waitressing) and it's important to learn how to read a customer. When I was working retail, I always greeted the customer with a hello and a smile, gave them a few seconds, asked if there was anything I could help them find, and if they said, "No, just browsing," left them alone... but was nearby to answer any questions that came up. Some customers want a salesperson to be their personal assistant; some want as little contact as possible, and it's important to be able to figure out which kind of person you're dealing with.

A lot of big corporate stores like Gap are going to tell new employees on the floor to be pushy in the name of being "helpful"--but one way or another they've got to learn that you can actually be helpful and present without being pushy. I'm pretty sure I figured out those boundaries with the help of "rude" customers who told me to back off. Sure, I griped about them later... but it teaches you to pay attention to non-verbal cues. It's like horses... you have to remind them to respect your space. d; If the lady at the tack store learned that overselling something can lose you sales, then it helps the tack store in the long run if she adjusts her methods. And the "no wallet" is nicer than getting reamed out by a customer!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I worked retail for years (plus bartending and waitressing) and it's important to learn how to read a customer. When I was working retail, I always greeted the customer with a hello and a smile, gave them a few seconds, asked if there was anything I could help them find, and if they said, "No, just browsing," left them alone... but was nearby to answer any questions that came up. Some customers want a salesperson to be their personal assistant; some want as little contact as possible, and it's important to be able to figure out which kind of person you're dealing with.
    Exactly. I'm shy and hate it when a sales person gets all up in my business and tries to push a sale or items I don't want on me. If she offers a friendly greeting but immediately leaves me alone when I say I'm "just looking" I am 3x as likely to buy something. Chances are good that I'll talk to her and ask her questions later, but on my own terms. If she offers suggestions on what items I should buy before I've even looked, chances are her taste is not the same as mine and I'll be walking right back out that store without buying anything.

I don't think that was rude to show the young girl at gap "no wallet". It does the girl a favor and lets her focus her time on someone who has their wallet. I on the other hand would have been totally put off by the sales pitch from the tack store and would have taken my business some where else.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by SkipChange View Post
    Exactly. I'm shy and hate it when a sales person gets all up in my business and tries to push a sale or items I don't want on me. If she offers a friendly greeting but immediately leaves me alone when I say I'm "just looking" I am 3x as likely to buy something. Chances are good that I'll talk to her and ask her questions later, but on my own terms. If she offers suggestions on what items I should buy before I've even looked, chances are her taste is not the same as mine and I'll be walking right back out that store without buying anything.
    I agree. After initial contact I'd much rather be left alone to browse at my own pace, if I have a question I'll certainly ask but I don't need someone following me around.

I was in a furniture store the other day taking a quick look around while I was waiting for DH who was next door. I was on the phone when I came in, and for most of the time I was in there. A salesman came up and began talking to me - while I was obviously on the phone - and I acknowledged him with a nod and a smile and continued looking around. I got 10 feet away and heard him talking about me! Saying he should get my number so he could have my attention. He then followed me around the store. I had to tell the person I was on the phone with that I'd have to call them back, got of the phone, told him I was just looking around and he proceeded to try to talk my ear off for 5-10 minutes. I had to leave the store to get away from him. Not good for business!

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    There is a difference in making a sale and being annoying! Can you honestly not tell the difference?
    You can spot a well trained sales staff a mile away. I went into one Coach store and was so impressed. I was greeted pleasantly, allowed to shop at my leisure, unmolested, and when I had a question there was an unobtrusive sales person immediately there with the answers and help. You had better believe that when I got to the register I told the clerk the name of the person who helped me. It was flawless execution of good salesmanship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    So much stupid, so little time.

Wink This!

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    You can spot a well trained sales staff a mile away. I went into one Coach store and was so impressed. I was greeted pleasantly, allowed to shop at my leisure, unmolested, and when I had a question there was an unobtrusive sales person immediately there with the answers and help. You had better believe that when I got to the register I told the clerk the name of the person who helped me. It was flawless execution of good salesmanship.
    I LOVE our local Charlotte's Saddlery. Well trained staff that stays out from under your feet. When DD was getting started they were all hands on deck to get her shod, haltered and blanketed. We are not frequent visitors but when we do come in they know what they have, when it might come in, and awesome sales. They pitch mostly English tack but I was impressed with the knowledge of western as well.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigit View Post
    I called a local tack store with some questions about one of those new memory foam saddle pads and wow did I ever get the run around. They specialize in saddle fitting so I guess it's not too much of a suprise but the lady got asking me why I wanted one (the answer, it sounds comfy for my horse, not to fix saddle problems) and how she thought I should book ($) a saddle fitting to make sure my saddle fit (have already had it fitted, fits fine) and if I didn't need a new saddle perhaps they could reflock the one I've got.

Umm no? I just want a saddle pad! Shesh! I'm not booking a saddle fitting, most certainly NOT buying a new saddle and don't need the one I have to be reflocked.

I thought that type of thing only happened at furniture stores or car dealerships! LOL
    I TRAIN sales and this is not acceptable. first and foremost, a sales person's job is to meet the need of the customer, and then to discover any other needs they may not be aware of. Once you mentioned you wanted it to be comfy she should have quoted you a price on the pad, and mentioned that they offer stellar saddle fitting as well.
    Ladies and Gentleman, annoying harassment is never something you should tolerate, and if with ANY salesperson if you ever feel pressured, uncomfortable, or that they are not meeting your needs you need to let management know. A sales person's job is what again? To meet YOUR needs with the products they sell A manager wants you to leave happy with an armful of stuff, ready to come back the next week and buy more. its the difference between selling an item and making a customer. the more you alert them to this crap the less there will be in this world.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    I hate that.

I don't know if it's that I'm getting bolder as I grow up or what, but the last time someone tried to push a sale on me, I told them nicely first that I was "just looking, thank you". The second time, I said the same, but used body language to show that I really was not interested in speaking with her, and walked away. The THIRD time was the last straw! I looked her in the eye and said "I actually like this, however I am going to purchase it elsewhere because you are pushing this sale after I have made it clear I do not want to be bothered." She started to say something, then walked away.

That's definitely something I would say.. I think I've gotten bolder (and possibly more brazen at times) as I get older. Sometimes, enough is enough!

Every now and then, I lose the inner poise and a snippy remark flies out before I can stop it!

I think though, that the sales people are often just the products of obnoxious marketing tactics trickled down from corporate. They're only following the rules. If they don't follow the corporate rules, (repeatedly mentioning sales, following customers around the store in attempts to up-sell them), they risk losing their jobs. Companies have gotten more and more desperate in this economy, and tack stores are included too!

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    That is truly a talent some people have, some people don't. Some people are so obvious in their desperate attempts to make a sale that it is a turn off to the customer. I would make a HORRIBLE sales person, personally. I don't believe in pushing someone to spend money they might not need to be spending just to make a sale. I give credit to those who can be successful in sales tactfully. It's definitely an art form I don't have!

This is actually a topic that hits close to home. I am a hands off type of shopper and I also hate it when I get followed and pressured by salespeople. I was dress shopping recently and there were a number of stores that I just walked out of after having numerous sales people "harass" me. If I tell someone I am just browsing, then have to tell them it again and again, I get quite annoyed. The place that ended up getting my sale was where the woman said hello, can I help you find anything today? I think I have some dresses that would look great with your body type, let me know if you want me to show them to you. It was rather personalized and she actually knew her product in relation to how it would look on me. She also gave me the choice to have her show it to me since she backed off and waited for me to come back and say, 'sure, I think I like the look of this, do you have anything else like it'.

I have had similar issues with furniture sales (something I am also looking for right now) and with pushy sales people. How on earth am I going to have any questions about your product if you don't give me a chance to look at it first? I am the type of person that will give repeat business to the places that have good service and I give my comission to the person that has a clue. Its unfortunate that in most furniture places that I went into that there are way more salespeople than customers, they just pounce on you to nab the commission from someone else.. which doesn't help them focus on the customers needs, only their bottom line.

On the horse related theme, our local tack store is great! You get your mix of salespeople, but in general they are super knowledgable about a niche product and they can help me fit to items that I don't know as much about. They have enough staff that you can always find someone to ask, but they let you browse after asking if they can help you with something. Its something that I don't get with the pushy places, don't they think that you might find things you weren't even looking for if you have the chance to browse first? I know I ALWAYS walk out of the tack store with more than I intended to purchase and I frequent this particular place more than the others because of the service.

Yes, I'm in sales (not retail) and hate to say, in general, I hate sales reps.and I don't like the pushy approach..the most blatant being the Dead Sea body lotion reps in the malls argh....

I have to say, the handful of times I've been there, Italians do it right..either hi-end or tourist trap...a hello at the door..can I help..no? ok, call if you need anything...and not another word so one could browse....but as soon as you ask a question, they bend over backwards to be helpful without being pushy.

I don't have alot of contries to compare besides the US, but the french crack me up...they look at you with distain...don't want you to touch anything unless you are picking it up to carry it to the cash register...made clothing shopping tough LOL.
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

I tell you where I LOVE shopping, is Nordstrom. They can either be quiet or a fountain of knowledge! I also like the personalized service, especially being "escorted" from department to department, and THEN the "Thank You" notes I received a few days later from each department! I was floored!

There's a tack shop near Hilltop that I really enjoyed - the lady let me browse, and I would pick something up, and I could either ask a question and get wonderful information, or I could simply look at it and put it down at my leisure. When I wanted information, she was FULL of knowledge and had wonderfully interesting stories about various appointment antiques in the store. In was a well-spent rainy afternoon.

I do try very hard to be the polite Southern lady I was raised to be, but even we have our limits. Honestly, if it were not for people smacking ME down for the ridiculous things I have said and/or done IRL, as well as on BB's, I would not have had the opportunity to grow. I am not saying this excuses any excessive use of my inner bitch, however, I do think she has perhaps aided in some much-needed self-reflection by certain sales people.

Oh, and as an aside, I always make it a point to learn a good sales person's name so that I can compliment him or her to their manager. I think it is very important to take the time to tell a manager about a positive experience.

Just to be clear, I wasn't rude to this woman. She was doing her job and sure she had legitimate concerns. I'm sure tons of people try to make their saddles "fit" by purchasing saddle pads. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. As I explained to her, I bought the saddle for the horse, had it fitted and was given the thumbs up. My horse isn't back sore or having any weird behavioral problems. I didn't mind the conversation and it's great to know that they offer saddle reflocking if needed but that's kind of as far as it should have gone IMHO. She WAS very helpful & knowledgeable but just took it a bit too far and had me doing some eye rolling. *ETA I was starting to feel like they weren't going to sell me the saddle pad if I didn't set up a saddle fitting appointment.* I guess there is where my slight miffted-ness came from. lol
    I just figured, hey I like my memory foam mattress pad, so why wouldn't my pony enjoy a nice cushy memory foam saddle pad too!

I'm not going to lie, I HATE pressure sales. There's a way to do commission sales and a way not to. We have a chain of tack/clothing stores up here and they are HORRIBLE to go in to. As soon as you walk in the door, there are people all over you and then they follow you around the store. When I want to buy some jeans or something I DO need help with, then sure, I'll go in there because I know I'll have people falling all over themselves to help me. Sometimes it's nice when I need the help.

But when I'm just browsing? Leave me alone. Same store as above, I was looking for a specific pair of gloves and just wanted to look but the sales person kept bugging me, so I asked her if she had the gloves. She had NO CLUE. So next on my list was something else horse related, again, NO CLUE. If you're going to pester me, then you'd better be able to answer my questions when I've got some.

I HATED shopping for furniture when we bought our new house. I always felt like I went into "avoidance mode" when I was in the store, trying to deek here and there to avoid the clusters of salespeople waiting to descend.

Love helpful, knowledeable people but once it crosses the pushy, trying to sell me something I don't need & can't afford.... See ya!
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!