The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Equestrians - we are -oh-so-chic-...

On MWF, I have class from 10:30-11:30 and I immediately go to the barn after. Since it's only one class and it's in the morning, I wear my breeches and wellies to class to save time changing later.

Now, I wear my wellies all the time just because they are easy to slip on and off and since it's snowing or raining 90% of the time in Rochester, they're useful. I've gotten LOTS of compliments on my plain black Hunter boots from well-put together women and just chuckled to myself at what they would say if they knew what the bottoms of my "darling" boots were caked with.

But this - this was too much. I'm walking to class last Friday morning and two girls come up to me, stop me, and say:

OHHMYYGODD, WHERE DID YOU GET THE RIDING PANTS WITH THE ACTUAL KNEE PATCHES!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

LOL...that is too funny!

I love wearing my breeches everywhere, they are comfy along with my boots. and mostly I get good compliments but on those rare occasions I get some classic comments as well

Quote Originally Posted by victorian24 View Post
    LOL...that is too funny!

I love wearing my breeches everywhere, they are comfy along with my boots. and mostly I get good compliments but on those rare occasions I get some classic comments as well
    I wear mine everywhere as well I especially love the looks I get when I drive to the barn in the summer with the top and doors off of my Wrangler wearing breeches and tall boots! A lot of double takes - I think some people might think I don't have any pants on

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by ake987 View Post

OHHMYYGODD, WHERE DID YOU GET THE RIDING PANTS WITH THE ACTUAL KNEE PATCHES!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

The Equestrian Club at my uni does a themed pub crawl a few times a year...the theme is either "Pub Hunt" or "Pub Show-jumping". Basically, everyone goes dressed as horses or riders...or occasionally hounds. This semesters Pub Hunt was last weds, and a group of us went clubbing after. It was surprising the lack of strange looks we got, in fact, some people even complimented us on our outfits! I definitely saw a girl in the library the other day wearing breech type things "with the knee patches" with a cashmere top and very expensive looking "tall boots". I giggled to myself.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I'm really contemplating wearing my rust breeches today with the faux-equestrian-style boots I have... hmm.

I have noticed a recent change in sideways glances I get when coming from or going to the barn- I used to get them from older women who were dressed to the nines and well kept young men. Now I get them from young, fashionable women, and they have a distinct air of befuddled "But why is she so DIRTY?" to them.

Whatever. This too shall pass, and we'll be right back to being fashion untouchables, folks.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

After I ride, I immediately take my boots or paddocks boots off. They are too uncomfortable and too expensive (to me) to walk around in otherwise, I couldn't imagine it!

I have these ratty sneakers with holes blowing out the insides. My husband says it's because of my bunions (nice!!) and my breeches are old and stained so I look like a homeless person if I stop in a store. Trust me, NOBODY thinks I look fashionable! In fact, they keep their distance. Suits me.

Oh but I have a memory of when I was a kid and my friend and I rode our bikes to the Baskin Robbins in our breeches and boots!! "look at us, we're RIDERS". WE thought we were impressing everyone. Little did we know people were probably laughing their a$$es off "look at those morons riding around in those weird outfits". Too funny.

Now, I wear my wellies all the time just because they are easy to slip on and off and since it's snowing or raining 90% of the time in Rochester, they're useful.
    Wellies are an indispensable part of my wardrobe. I love love love them. I have a still shiney "dress" pair (OK, more than one pair ) that rarely see the barn. I pretty much wear them November through April. I just love slopping through 3 inches of slush in the parking lot. It's actually fun.

Haha, people think we are chic until they get close enough to smell us....
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

May this current fashion trend of the "Equestrian Look" please to stay in vogue for years to come.

Oh I don't know if I agree...mostly for the children's sake... I remember when this was en vogue years back, and my mother absolutely REFUSED to buy me real (read: $) functional breeches, because she could get the faux $10 spandex w/ self patches at Kmart. That was a sad few years, but i did end up with a pretty strong seat as a result!

I think I'm the only person who doesn't really want to be mistaken for a fashion plate when out running errands after riding. I've taken to changing to avoid the looks. When people looked b/c I was covered in horse goo, hay, and smelled, no problem. When people appear to be studying my "ensemble"...I start taking the time to change!

Not sure why the difference bothers me. ??

City of delusion in the state of total denial

A story from my high-school aged sister. There is one girl in her grade whom she cannot get along with, primarily because the one girl is not a very nice person. Well, That One Girl came into school the other day in field boots and leggings, and apparently was feeling very proud of them as she was talking about them very loudly to a large crowd. "They're some brand called A-ree-it and they're from France, they cost me like $1000," said TOG. My sister walked by, in identical field boots and breeches as she'd just changed before going to the barn, and said, "It's Ariat, they're a U.S. brand, and if you paid that you got ripped off."

Sometimes you really can't get after your sister for being snippy in public because you are laughing too hard.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    The Equestrian Club at my uni does a themed pub crawl a few times a year...the theme is either "Pub Hunt" or "Pub Show-jumping".
    I almost wish I was on the equestrian team because this sounds like so much fun!

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Haha, people think we are chic until they get close enough to smell us....
    Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Not everyone adores the smell of leather, sweet feed, and manure?

...WHAT?!

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    A story from my high-school aged sister. There is one girl in her grade whom she cannot get along with, primarily because the one girl is not a very nice person. Well, That One Girl came into school the other day in field boots and leggings, and apparently was feeling very proud of them as she was talking about them very loudly to a large crowd. "They're some brand called A-ree-it and they're from France, they cost me like $1000," said TOG. My sister walked by, in identical field boots and breeches as she'd just changed before going to the barn, and said, "It's Ariat, they're a U.S. brand, and if you paid that you got ripped off."

Sometimes you really can't get after your sister for being snippy in public because you are laughing too hard.
    Good for your sister! I would have had to resist the urge to punch that girl in the face, myself. Taking an obnoxious brat down a peg is never wrong.

Amy

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I almost wish I was on the equestrian team because this sounds like so much fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    The Equestrian Club at my uni does a themed pub crawl a few times a year...the theme is either "Pub Hunt" or "Pub Show-jumping". Basically, everyone goes dressed as horses or riders...or occasionally hounds. This semesters Pub Hunt was last weds, and a group of us went clubbing after. It was surprising the lack of strange looks we got, in fact, some people even complimented us on our outfits! I definitely saw a girl in the library the other day wearing breech type things "with the knee patches" with a cashmere top and very expensive looking "tall boots". I giggled to myself.
    Haha! Thats the great thing about the Club at Edinburgh - non team people are more than welcome :-)....hasn't always been this way, but the current President doesn't compete/doesn't want to compete, so she has always campaigned hard for the non team members, and it's really working - the club has grown significantly over the past few years mainly because the lesson program has improved/increased dramatically.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Does this mean that I can actually wear some of my barn clothes to work and not have to change? I can claim it's fashion!

I frequently get caught in my breeches and boots, as I change at the office before going to my lessons during the weeks, and since I'm still clean, I get lots of questions from women on where I got my 'outfit'.

I've actually sent a few non-riding friends to the local tack store to get better fitting boots, and they're thrilled with their lower end off the shelf field boots that most riders despise, LOL.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/