The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default yays and nays on no slip/grip pads

I'm hoping to get some feedback from you on pads to minimize saddle slip. Has anyone tried the Nunn Finer no slip pad or the Barnsby Numnah Grip? Any other recommendations pro or con? Thanks in advance!
    The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
    www.reflectionsonriding.com

Someone gave me the suggestion to use shelf liner... bought that, cut it to size and it worked pretty well! Seemed more breathable than the regular no-slip pad I had (black rubbery type).

Not a fan. For me, personally, anytime a saddle has slipped, it's been a saddle fit issue. When I used a no slip pad, it created a saddle sore by allowing an ill fitting saddle to sit in the wrong place for too long. I know lots of people who use them with luck, I would just be very, very careful.

love the barnsby grip pads

They are apparently yummy and shouldn't be left out to dry over a fence, where a dog can get them....

NeedsAdvil, I used mine on a witherless, round as a barrel draft mare with the XXXWide saddle... Until it got eaten that is . Otherwise, on a normal withered horse, I agree with you!

I really like the breathable mesh pads like the Dixie Midnight- pricey yes, but worth every penny!
    In my case, sometimes even the best fitted saddle might move on a round barrel no withers kinda guy as you're do big drops or climbs. Plus the mesh pads have the added bonus of air flow for the back and keeping your saddle pad clean
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I love the Barnsby Grip Pad, but the numnah was cut much too far forward for my saddle - it's cut for a close contact saddle, not an AP. But it definitely kept my saddle in place, and the quality is very nice.
    Last edited by BigHorseLittleHorse; Oct. 19, 2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: oops, no advertising
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Quote Originally Posted by We Ride View Post
    They are apparently yummy and shouldn't be left out to dry over a fence, where a dog can get them....

NeedsAdvil, I used mine on a witherless, round as a barrel draft mare with the XXXWide saddle... Until it got eaten that is . Otherwise, on a normal withered horse, I agree with you!
    Yup, agreed. I use no-slip pads on my mare, that's all I use (or a no slip liner with a standard pad). They're great, and my mare appreciates me not adjusting the saddle from her back constantly!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

for me, the blue gel eze (actually a leg wrap) works better than the nunn finer no slip pad ever did.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

BigHorseLittleHorse, you have a PM.