The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default @#$%! Just when you get settled...

Mostly just a vent, here. Nothing to see.

Today, I learn of two animals of mine that I've previously sold that are in need of new homes. A cat, and a horse.

The kitty I rehomed when I lost my job last year - I had to leave my apartment, and was moving in with non-kitty-friendly relatives. He looks to be in good shape, just needs a new home since the owners LEFT HIM when they moved, neighbors are trying to find him a good home now.

The horse, well... I knew it was too good to be true. If ever there was a horse I had to take back, I'm glad it is this one. This is the paint mare I picked up out of the feedlot truck in April. I fixed her up, put a couple months' tuneup on her, and ultimately sold her to a friend of mine's mom who was looking for a husband horse. She's a dead broke solid citizen ranch horse, no nonsense, not marish. She can be a little dead to the leg, which was GREAT since the guy is a intermediate beginner. Apparently she's started bucking with the novice husband, so they want to sell her. Friend texted me last night to say they don't want her anymore and were going to sell her, until she offered to trade them for her old rideable broodmare. I'm trying to work with them, and I've offered to buy her back, even though I don't have the cash in the bank right now.

I just can't let her go off down the road, and I obviously can't control who they sell her to. I'm lucky enough that my friend even thought to mention that they want to get rid of her, and I think I owe it to this mare to keep her from going into the auction circuit a third/fourth/fifth time. She's already been through at least twice and had I not taken her home with me (long story, which there is a whole separate thread) she was going to meat.

Agh. Fortunately, she's an easy keeper and I can throw her out with my gelding, but really? I was finally down to ONE horse, clearing out all my un-needed tack, consolidating bills and generally just getting life squared away. I was even going to have a little extra to put towards Christmas this year. I've got hay, but now will need to buy more to get us through winter.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Take the kitty too...
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Take the kitty too...
    Then send her some money.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

I'm working on it. Gotta check with the landlord-friend though, not sure they will want me adding a kitty to the herd since they are trying to sell the place and I already have Tug the wonder pup/Border Collie.

If everyone could just wait til the first of the year, I had intended to buy the farm (literally, not figuratively!) and then adding to the herd isn't such a big deal. I may as well just keep the mare, if this isn't a sign I don't know what is!

The timing is just...less than ideal. Sounds like the mare is coming back for sure now, just gotta work out the details as far as payment and delivery. Do you think it is unfair of me to offer a partial refund, considering the economy and the fact that the horse now has a bucking problem?

Good things happen to good people, and good karma is a reward in itself. And, sometimes, they are meant to come back home to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post

Rest easy, no one is starving here. I'm sure we've all had one too many horses (or cats) a time or two, just gotta cut down and maybe eat Ramen instead of Mac n' cheese for a while.
    Last edited by Heinz 57; Oct. 18, 2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: don't forget the kitties!

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I was even going to have a little extra to put towards Christmas this year.
    Isn't that always the way though? Just when you think you may have a bit 'left-over', something happens. It's the way of the universe. At least, it's a horse coming home, not a car repair or a vet bill. All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    She's in the next state over (down?) from me, heck I'll take the kitty.

Seriously, I don't think we need to subject a light-hearted "enabler" post to such scrutiny... do you? Is this the backlash we are left with after recent events on this board? PERSONAL responsibility... if someone takes a cat they can't/shouldn't have because of a BB post... well, I'm sure not going to consider that MY fault or responsibility.

Or I'll rephrase -- "if circumstances are such that you can afford another cat and can house and care for that cat up to the standards of the strangers on COTH, it would make me very happy if you would consider giving your former kitty a forever home".
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Oy.

IF anyone would like to scrutinize any part of my animal keeping practices, feel free. My gelding is out on about three acres, alone, with a couple HUGE old trees for shelter (horrors!), free choice alfalfa, and a medium weight waterproof turnout blankie (its a Joules polka dot, in case you wanna do a drive by). Two strands of hotwire with no-climb up to about 3' on two sides, front side has white PVC post and rail with the hotwire strung on the inside and the fourth, back-side has just the two strands of wire. Not ideal, but three acres of grass plus free alf and you'd have to pry that pasture out of his cold, dead teeth.

As for the pup, he's well fed (Blue Buffalo lamb and brown rice, about 3 cups a day), as obedience trained as a four month old can be, and is crated while I'm at work. I'm thinking I ought to start herding lessons with him once his down is more reliable, he seems to have a good bit of sense with the stock and is smarter (and quicker) than I am.

Oh, and he sleeps on the bed sometimes, too.

Like I said, +1 horse and +1 kitty just means if you're on my Christmas list, you're only getting home made baked goods this year (ETA: except my COTH SS giftee!). And I'm eating Ramen instead of Mac n Cheese (cuz you need milk and butter for Mac - Ramen only requires water!). I think if I quit drinking, I could probably afford a couple more animals!

*disclaimer: all abbreviations, slang and deviations from proper grammar and/or spelling were intentional and used for effect only.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    She's in the next state over (down?) from me, heck I'll take the kitty.

Seriously, I don't think we need to subject a light-hearted "enabler" post to such scrutiny... do you? Is this the backlash we are left with after recent events on this board? PERSONAL responsibility... if someone takes a cat they can't/shouldn't have because of a BB post... well, I'm sure not going to consider that MY fault or responsibility.

Or I'll rephrase -- "if circumstances are such that you can afford another cat and can house and care for that cat up to the standards of the strangers on COTH, it would make me very happy if you would consider giving your former kitty a forever home".
    Hehehehehehe...

Pet the kitty for me! =)
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Nothing could be easy, of course.

Now they've decided they want to keep her, but are going to trade her for the rideable broodmare for a while so she can be 'fixed' by this friend of mine.

I've given them my opinion. The mare WOULD NOT buck to save her life when she was with me - at worst, she sucks back, slams on the brakes and refuses to move. I had little 8 year old girls riding her, I rode her myself and worked on her canter for a couple months without a buck - and I was wearing SPURS, big jangly rowel-y western spurs. For her to be bucking, there is a physical issue going on and she doesn't just 'need someone to get after her' as they told me.

I've got an acquaintance trying to find a decent semi-retirement home for an old lesson horse that I'm trying to connect them with, who I think would be much better suited to what they want.

I need this horse like a hole in the head but I'll be damned if I'm going to watch them RUIN her, either. I've offered to give a full refund, and they just don't want to sell yet. I thought I was safe since this is a relative of a friend of mine, but apparently not!

People are strange. They want to sell, til they think someone else may want her, now they want her to get a tune up!
    Maybe they think that you, or someone else, will pay more afterwards??

Good luck to you, pony and kitty!

LBR

PS- Raman tastes better with butter!!!