The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How often does your farrier...

...increase his rates?

Every year? Every 5 years? Every other visit?
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

My farrier hasn't increased his rates in the last 5 years. At least for me.

I was one of his first customers in the area, and he says that loyalty is important to him, so he charges me the same.

I never ask him what he charges new customers, but I know it's more than what he gets from me.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

What I've read on the farrier discussion boards : Badly behaved horse- raise the rate, badly behaved client- raise the rate. sometimes farriers keep raising the rate and they HOPE you stop calling them. Why don't you ask your farrier directly why he/she is raising the fee.

Mine hasn't raised his rates either, but I gave him a raise. He's ALWAYS on time, never does a no-show, has the patience of a saint, and does a great job to boot.

My farrier has only raised his rates a couple times in the last 10 years. He always tells me months before he actually does it, and the raises haven't been all that much.

Mine has only raised rates once, and that was a couple of years ago. He let everyone know in November that he would be raising his rates after the first of the year. It was a flat $5 increase across the board.

If he has to come out due to a pulled or lost shoe, he does not charge for that, but I always give him a little extra on his next regular appointment because it seems like the right thing to do.

He is a great farrier and a professional in every sense of the word!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

once (last year) in the 4 years that we have had the current farrier
    we lost our previous farrier because he moved out of state
    we "lost" the one before that because while he did and excellent job he was unreliable about showing up when scheduled and never returned phone calls.
    we "lost" the one before that because he jacked our rates way up. This one goes to Marla100's comments above. When asked why so expensive: we lived too far away/wanted us to go away. I was PO'd about that. We used to live close to each other but both moved: He moved North and we moved South. We were this guy's first clients when he was getting started. I thought he owed us the courtesy of saying he simply didn't want to drive this far instead of making us quit with his price hike.
    Our current farrier is a little TOO nice. I have heard some horror stories about some of the horses he does. Really awful. He does not charge them more. I told him he should for hazzard pay....especailly since his rates are very reasonable to start with/does not charge to replace lost shoes.

Our last farrier raised his rates to new clients when fuel prices went up; he kept his same rate for his existing clients that treated him well.

Our new farrier charges more than our old one, but I think his rates are fair, and have been the same for a while now (from talking to previous clients).

A farrier a client uses for her horses at home greatly raised her rates a few years ago. I noticed she really stepped up her advertising after that, and I know of a few barns that switched to a new farrier due to the rate change.

The dumb part about her increase was how she did it; travel fee and the rate would change depending on how many horses she did that day...that would drive me crazy when trying to bill back my clients, as the cost of the same trim would be different each time depending on how many horses were done, and how far she had to come to get here from her last appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Our last farrier raised his rates to new clients when fuel prices went up; he kept his same rate for his existing clients that treated him well.
    That is what mine did too.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Ours kind of did this. He raised rates when fuel was crazy high there for awhile, and this applied to everyone across the board. Then when fuel went back down, he dropped his prices for some people. But not all.

I'm trying to think how often he has gone up -- I think his prices have nearly doubled since I started using him, but that was almost 15 years ago. He always tells me he's thinking of increasing way ahead of time and when he finally does do it, I never think, geez, you just raised them. So it must not be that frequent. Maybe every couple of years?