The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My very first hunt is on Sunday!!!

Hi Everyone! I am hilltopping in my first hunt on Sunday (provided that my horse decides to get on the trailer )! I am so excited, and would be lying, if I didn't say a little nervous!

I believe its with the Bear Creek Hounds. My horse is a been-there-done-that kinda guy, who I have shown and trail ridden extensively, so I have complete confidence in him. He is also pastured next to someone who has a kennel of about 20 beagles, so he used to the sounds of barking dogs!

Are there any tips or advice that anyone can give me? I believe the attire for the day is polos, breeches, and tall boots/half chaps (although I am still waiting on final confirmation). I wonder if it would be considered bad form if instead of a fleece pad, I just used a clean, plain, white baby pad under my saddle???

ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

No ideas but I have foxhunting 101 next Saturday. I am so excited too. It looks like so much fun. ENJOY and BE SAFE!
    Pamela Ellis

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Wee Willy View Post
    Are there any tips or advice that anyone can give me? I believe the attire for the day is polos, breeches, and tall boots/half chaps (although I am still waiting on final confirmation). I wonder if it would be considered bad form if instead of a fleece pad, I just used a clean, plain, white baby pad under my saddle???
    I'm sure your baby pad will be fine. This is cubbing season, so turnout is more relaxed. Just remember -- polo shirt can be any color except red. Sparkling clean tack, clothing, horse still remains the key.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys! Belleellis, good luck to you too! This is something that I have been wanting to do, for as long as I can remember. I have read, "Riding to Hounds in America" about 50 times. lol.

gothedistance, I have a navy polo picked out, so I'm good! I'm glad I can use my baby pad... but I'll be sure to order a fleece pad. When I quit showing, I sold all my fleece pads... thinking I didn't need them anymore... =P

So if you all would, just please, please pray that he decides to get on the trailer on Sunday (if he doesn't, I'm gonna cry!!)

So if you all would, just please, please pray that he decides to get on the trailer on Sunday (if he doesn't, I'm gonna cry!!)
    EVERY time I head out of the stall, toward the trailer, I hear my Huntsman's voice in my head saying "act like you've got 15 minutes and it'll take all day. Act like you've got all day and it'll take 15 minutes."

Breathe, and give yourself a few extra minutes. Look straight ahead, carry a whip and MARCH into the trailer.

Good luck! Our first Hunt is Sunday and I am so very excited.
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

Talking Do tell!!

We wanna hear how it went...please give all the juicy details! Both of you!
    Are you now hunting princesses?!!

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    We wanna hear how it went...please give all the juicy details! Both of you!
    Are you now hunting princesses?!!
    I didn't get to go... I got stood up by the person that invited me.
    I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, the same thing happened about two weeks ago. I don't guess I'm ever going to get to go! My friend that I was going with is not a member of the hunt, but was invited by a member, and the member told her that she could bring a friend (me). So I didn't have directions to, or know where exactly everyone was meeting. My pony was clean and shiny, my tack was clean and shiny, I was clean and shiny... but all dressed up and nowhere to go...
    Would it be improper of me to email the Hunt Secretary and introduce myself, and ask if I could come to the next hunt? Or do I need to be invited? I am a lovely person with a super wonderful horse. I JUST WANT TO HUNT SO BAD!

ARGH! I am sorry that sucks...........
    Since I have yet to go I can tell you what is improper or not...LOL from hunter pacing and just talking to the two area hunt clubs here everyone is SO NICE!
    Pamela Ellis

Would it be improper of me to email the Hunt Secretary and introduce myself, and ask if I could come to the next hunt? Or do I need to be invited? I am a lovely person with a super wonderful horse. I JUST WANT TO HUNT SO BAD!
    Why don't you just pick up the phone and have a nice chat with the Secretary? I'm sure they'd be delighted to have you out as a guest.

Sorry you got stood up. That's not nice at all.

Best of luck to you.

So sorry!! Poor form on the "friends" part. I hope she had a really plausible excuse!!

Do call the Hunt Secretary. I'm sure they will have a day that will be good for you to come and hunt.

If you get another chance, please let us know how it goes!

SO SORRY!

Oh no it is so much fun hope you get to go soon

I didn't get to go... I got stood up by the person that invited me.
    Oh, that is so bad on so many levels. Shame on your "friend" for being so inconsiderate.

The hunt's website has a contact page. Email and ask when the next meet will be, and ask if you can watch them go off. Just on foot, not on horseback. You will be absolutely sure to get a resounding "Yes!". Arrive dressed in nice street clothes, and walk about, introducing yourself first to the Master, then to the staff. On foot you can get up close to the hounds (you will be mobbed in that wonderful hound way!), and you can chat with the huntsman about the hounds and their breeding.

This is the best way to introduce yourself. Once they see you, and chat with you, in this relaxed, informal way, I can pretty much guarantee you will receive a welcoming invite to come hunting with them.

Then you can come again with your horse, and already feel a part of the hunt.
    Last edited by gothedistance; Oct. 11, 2010 at 12:35 PM.

Default Go for it!

Gothedisance has a diplomatic plan that should work well. I suggest calling the hunt contact person, as then that person can hear the yearning in your voice. That's a powerful signal to a foxhunter! Plan on being at the meet about 30 minutes ahead of the appointed time. You may have only one trailer in the field when you get there. Use that 30 minutes to meet the master and secretary and other members. It will keep the time from rushing conversations.

They will want you!

Then tell us about it, OK?

always 10 minutes away from where I need to be at any time of the day/night

I agree with all the advice. A phone call to the secretary is much more personal than an email.

Good luck and good hunting.
    Own a legend...ride a Friesian

Thanks for all the advice! I am still broken-hearted! Does anyone have the name and contact number of the Bear Creek Secretary? On their website, they just have an email address. I don't know if I'll be able to go to all their hunts, but one of their places (where they were supposed to be hunting on Sunday) is in east Alabama, less than an hour away from me.

How long does cubbing season typically last? I'd like to be able to go at least once, before formal season starts.

What hurts the most, was that even though she got me all excited about it, I don't think she ever planned to go... she doesn't own a trailer, she always borrows her boss'... I talked to him about it on Sunday, and he said that she never asked him if she could borrow it. And I tried calling her a million times, and she never answered the phone.

How long does cubbing season typically last? I'd like to be able to go at least once, before formal season starts
    Cubbing season lasts about 2 - 2 1/2 months. Regular (formal) hunting season depends upon the hunt, but most are begun in late October, early November. Our Opening Meet is in two weeks.

So ... email the Secretary tonight (since that appears to be the hunt's preferred means of contact as the website offers no phone numbers whatsoever) if you want to get out before cubbing ends.
    Last edited by gothedistance; Oct. 12, 2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: clarification

Ok, email to the secretary is sent, fingers are crossed!!!

Wow... Things have happened so fast! No sooner than I sent off the email, I got a reply back inviting me to hunt! So guess what?!?!?!... I GOT TO GO THIS MORNING! IT WAS... AWESOME!!!! I did not take my horse, but I came and met everyone, and then rode with the road whips, following the hunt.... It was nothing short of amazing... And I got invited back, to come to the next hunt on Saturday!! I am still floating on cloud nine! Everyone was so nice to me. I have been bitten by the bug, big time. So again, thanks to everyone for the advice, and *please pray* that he walks onto the trailer saturday morning!!

Yeah!!!

So glad things are working out for you. I hope all goes as planned on Sat morning.