The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Stallion Fest" - Question for Stallion Owners

For those of you who own and market stallions, do you think that there is a market for a "stallion fest" (for lack of a better description)? This would look something like this:

* Bring your stallion to a central location
    * Make him available to market to potential mare owners
    * Bring offspring to sell or market

"Fest" would be well advertised and possibly supported by related vendors:

* Breed Associations
    * Vets
    * Stallion reproduction vendors selling products used by stallion owners

Could possibly have clinics associated with the event by well known vets, professors from vet schools, well known stallion owners, etc.

When is the best time of year for the event?

How would you market this? How to reach the actual stallion owners? Would be East Coast-based.

Thanks for your input.

Contact me at marydellfarms@aol.com
    I ran a n stallion "expo" three years ago and have alot of experience with th is subject!
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

Contact me at marydellfarms@aol.com
    I ran a stallion "expo" three years ago and have alot of experience with this subject!
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

I enjoyed attending Marydell's expo. I wish it would happen again.

I enjoyed Marydell's stallion thing too except I was very cold. I would love this kind of thing.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

Quote Originally Posted by apachepony View Post
    I enjoyed attending Marydell's expo. I wish it would happen again.
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug Hill View Post
    I enjoyed Marydell's stallion thing too except I was very cold. I would love this kind of thing.
    We did too, and YES it was COLD!

I would definitely bring Amazing if it were logistically feasible. Late Summer/Fall is best since most breeding seasons are winding down, as are the testosterone levels If you could sandwich it somewhere in between Capital Challenge, Harrisburg, etc. you may even get some interest from people travelling east to do indoors. Of course, that's just my Hunter/Jumper opinion, FWIW!
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Wonderful idea!
    My vote would be in the late fall when people are finalizing breeding plans and stallions who compete are taking a breather before the winter season ramps up.
    We are based in Eastern Canada and would relish the chance for more US breeders to personally meet our friendly guys. What about offering demo clinics with offspring of the stallions presented under saddle? I think it would be a great way for breeders to get a real sense of what a stallion has to offer their mares.
    As for marketing I think social media is possibly the most effective. Forums such as this, a face book page for the event, a informative webpage and select advertising should help draw an educated crowd.

We were at Maryanna's Stallion Show as well. And while we were all disappointed in the turnout, it was a great experience and went off well, especially for a first time event.

It would be great if a Fest could held in a more central location...maybe KY, St. Louis, Nashville.

We were able to go because Cyriz was competing/training in NC. I would not have hauled him 1200 miles just for the Show.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

I think it would be great. Not sure how you could ever get SO's to hop on-board, as most have farms or shows they must tend to. If I could see 20 of my favorite stallions in one location, and their offspring if they were younger stallions, I would go. Hey, lets have a foal/horse auction while we're at it! That might attract SO's, if they thought they could actually sell their foals in such a manner

We tried that when we lived in NC. Those who came, LOVED IT, but it was not as well attended as we would have expected in such a major horse country (Southern Pines, NC) and was a ton of fun, but financially a bust!! We did it very professionally with a lovely program, venders and private (no fee) sales optional for any of the stock. Horses for sale (wearing hip numbers corresponding to their catalogue number) were allowed to go to our huge arena (indoor or outdoor) where an announcer who identify the horse and give a full description as the horse was ridden or just lead around. They didn't have to go by number order, but when ever someone wanted to view them. It was a great concept, but only to a limited audience. I would not do it again!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

With the size of the US, there's no feasible way to get all the top stallions in one place at one time. I'm sorry, it just can't happen. It's quite easy in a place like Germany where the whole country is smaller than the state of Texas, and most of the stallions are state-owned, but here, it's just not realistic. The best I think you could hope for would be to get some together at something like Dressage at Devon or something like that.

I would LOVE to bring my boys, if there could be a pony portion?
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Thanks for your comments. The idea is not to get every stallion owner out there to attend. That would be impossible. But if you could attract a good cross section of stallions from multiple disciplines, bring horses and ponies to sell (offspring), have vendors, educational seminars, make this an annual event that would hopefully catch on over time, it may be worth it.

Sounds like Sept/Oct would be a good time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
    Sounds like Sept/Oct would be a good time to do it.
    On the East Coast, make sure you avoid Devon dates. Early Sept, or Mid October would be lovely.

I brought one of my stallions to the Expo in NC in 2008 and ended up selling a youngster to a person new to our breed and then another to her sister. They became a repeat buyers as well. I'd support something like this if I could.

I remember that I sent my little stallion through the jumping grid set a full horse size and he aced it...I think that is what got me my sale actually. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    On the East Coast, make sure you avoid Devon dates. Early Sept, or Mid October would be lovely.
    If you don't want to limit yourselves to Dressage or DHSB then early Sept is NG for H/J people and for some H/J people mid October is Zone Finals. Also NG.

I have to question whether broad represention of breeds anbd disciplines is the way to go. If I were inclined to make a trip to go to a stallion expo, I'd want to see a number of suitable stallions for my area of emphasis.

I also think it will take 4-5 years of losing your shirt before it caught on.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    I have to question whether broad represention of breeds anbd disciplines is the way to go. If I were inclined to make a trip to go to a stallion expo, I'd want to see a number of suitable stallions for my area of emphasis.

Sure. It's just that if I was going to go to something like this I'd like it to be at a convenient time for my discipline as I'm sure would those involved with Dressage.

And certainly I'd like to see a group of H/J stallions. You might want to see Dressage stallions.

I suspect it would end up being Dressage oriented anyway for a number of reasons