The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Canadian Sporthorse Registry?

Would a mare with Canadian Sport Horse papers be eligible for approval as breeding stock in any registries in the U.S.? (Or would it depend on her pedigree as much as the registration?)

I don't know much about the registry at all.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

I have a Canadian Sport Horse mare who is in the Main Mare Book for Oldenburg NA and Oldenburg GOV. This was all done before I got her. I believe that as long as a mare is papered (Jockey Club, Canadian Sport Horse, etc), she can be presented to various warmblood registries for approval and entry into their studbook.
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

If the mare has a pedigree that qualifies her for MMB of the registry you are looking at, well, she will be eligible for it. Canadian sport horse papers doesnt matter. I have a mare wich is Weinstein x Graphit x Gotthard. She is of 100% hanoverian bloodlines, both parents hanoverian registered, imported and fully approved in Germany. Breeders back then tought it was easier to register with CSH, and so they did. Now, she is a broodmare, and because of her pedigree, despite being registered with CSH, she has been approved with GOV and entered into their main marebook and she would be eligible to be approved with the Hanoverian Verband if she was to be presented at an inspection and score enough high (as a non-hanoverian mare.. funny isnt it).

Hope my example helps.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

To echo Jen Rose, yes, a mare with Canadian Sport Horse papers can be inspected/approved ISR/OldNA.
    There is a difference though between being an CSHA approved mare and one that is registered Canadian Sport Horse. (They don't call it registered anymore though).
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

So if she is being sold as "Canadian Sporthorse with papers" . . . I guess if I'm not breeding FOR the Canadian Sporthorse Assn., I don't really have reason to care if she is approved by that registery . . . I just need to make sure her pedigree is such that she is approvable on paper (and, of course, make sure I think she is also approvable in person).

Does that sound right?

I don't know enough about the Canadian Assn. to know what to make of the papers!
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Make sure and get them to send you a copy of the "papers" before you do anything. The mare i sold to the States, for example, had been presented to and approved by the CSHA, but she was unregistered. The "papers" she received were a certificate of studbook entry, NOT registration papers. For a horse to have actual CSHA registration papers, both of its parents need to have been inspected and approved.

You can always contact the CSHA if you want to know if the horse is actually registered or not.

And as Spike said, whether the horse could be entered into the books of a WB registry depends on pedigree. A Canadian Sport Horse could be a full Warmblood, or a Belgian/TB. You have to do your research. Basically all the papers mean is that the parents were both inspected and approved as breeding stock (i.e. deemed of sufficient quality to be entered into the breeding books) and that the breeder then made the effort of getting the foal registered.

If she is registered CSHA, you should be able to find her in this database.
    http://www.clrc.ca/cgi-bin/query.cgi?_association=86
    Alison/Mikali Farms
    www.mikalifarms.com

Ah . . . I couldn't find her.

If they gave me a number that starts: CSHA #HB

Does that mean she is approved for breeding but not registered? I've contacted the organization. I'm trying to figure out what her dam's side is (her sire is easy).

I've contacted the CSHA, too. Thanks for all the help.

Ah . . . never mind. I was looking at TB pedigrees . . . there's a QH back there a couple generations - that answered my question.

Quote Originally Posted by KBEquine View Post
    Ah . . . I couldn't find her.

If they gave me a number that starts: CSHA #HB

Does that mean she is approved for breeding but not registered? I've contacted the organization. I'm trying to figure out what her dam's side is (her sire is easy).

I've contacted the CSHA, too. Thanks for all the help.

HB= Half Bred Papers. No breeding approvals, just a certificate of pedigree.

Ah, good to know - I'll have a better idea what I'm looking at, next time, now.

Kim