The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Virginia Hunter & Sport Horse Fall Auction

Who's going? Are you buying or selling? What are your predictions? We're taking 6, so I'm getting pretty nervous!
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Which six?

I'm thinking about going. I got a great mare last time.

We're not selling & if we go, we're leaving the trailer at home (so might regret if I decide to buy something - last time at Morven, it was closer to home & STILL a long trip home for the trailer & back!
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

What are the prices like at this sale traditionally?

I hate to say it in front of sellers, but especially in this economy, the prices are more pleasing to buyers than to sellers.

BUT I also thought the prices last fall weren't as bad as I'd expected them to be. Some were very bad & for sure the market is not where sellers would like it to be. BUT I also saw a few going for more than I'd expected. And I think the market is just a teeny bit better this year than last.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

The "Featured Consignments of Daniel V. Flynn, Barracks Stud Farm" are ours. There's a typo, naturally the 2 geldings by Romantic Star, out of the same TB mare (full sibs) aren't Dutch. Romantic Star is a Hanoverian. And the Libero Star gelding (half sib to the Romantic Star boys) isn't Dutch either. Libero is an Oldenburg. I don't know who decided they're all Dutch, but whoever it was is all wrong.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen

Quote Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
    The "Featured Consignments of Daniel V. Flynn, Barracks Stud Farm" are ours. There's a typo, naturally the 2 geldings by Romantic Star, out of the same TB mare (full sibs) aren't Dutch. Romantic Star is a Hanoverian. And the Libero Star gelding (half sib to the Romantic Star boys) isn't Dutch either. Libero is an Oldenburg. I don't know who decided they're all Dutch, but whoever it was is all wrong.
    Boy, would I love to come home with one (or all) of those! I'm thinking about going to "spectate," but my inner-enabler keeps telling me to bring the horse trailer "just in case"
    Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground. - Author Unknown

My "inner enabler" is telling me to leave the trailer at home.

Wait.

"Leave the trailer at home."

That might not have been my inner enabler. That might have been my husband . . .

I know the mare "Sentimental" that is being sold in the sale. Let's just say that if I had a spare stall in the barn, she would be coming home with me.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider
    I know the mare "Sentimental" that is being sold in the sale. Let's just say that if I had a spare stall in the barn, she would be coming home with me.
    I know, right? She's so pretty and I'm very partial to her sire.......(Just The Best).
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

I'm still 99% sure I'm not adding any this year, but -

Anyone know anything about hips 53 (Bianchetta) or 109 (Ultra Violet)?

Oh. There's my husband's voice, again.

LEAVE THE TRAILER AT HOME!

Quote Originally Posted by KBEquine View Post
    I'm still 99% sure I'm not adding any this year, but -

Anyone know anything about hips 53 (Bianchetta) or 109 (Ultra Violet)?

You know, "leave the trailer at home" is open to interpretation. Let's say you leave the trailer at home, but then go back and get the trailer AFTER the sale to pick up the new horse. That can't possibly count

I'm hoping to stumble upon a nice hunter prospect and by the looks of the catalog, there are a few that may fit the bill
    Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground. - Author Unknown

Would anyone who's consigned at this sale in the past please send me a pm? I'm looking for some inside scoop on what we'll need to bring, what we can expect, etc...
    Thanks so much, Helpful COTHers!

Yes, you must know the mare Sentimental, SidesaddleRider, as she is listed on your web site. Do you know her USEF # or show name or former show name or bottom side of her pedigree? Why is she unregistered?

Your husband needs to get Laryngitis
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

some of the horses have been for sale for quite awhile - maybe why they are now in auction?
    I personally think these folks do it right - I put a horse with them years ago and was very happy with outcome - but I think it is critical to evaluate the horses in person if at all possbile.
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

My "inner enabler" is telling me to leave the trailer at home.

Wait.

"Leave the trailer at home."

That might not have been my inner enabler. That might have been my husband . . .

Quote Originally Posted by hunterhorse22 View Post
    You know, "leave the trailer at home" is open to interpretation. Let's say you leave the trailer at home, but then go back and get the trailer AFTER the sale to pick up the new horse. That can't possibly count

I'm hoping to stumble upon a nice hunter prospect and by the looks of the catalog, there are a few that may fit the bill
    True. And if I accidentally bid & buy something, perhaps some kind seller will take the nice horse home & I can pick it up the next day . . .

Quote Originally Posted by dianehalpin View Post
    Yes, you must know the mare Sentimental, SidesaddleRider, as she is listed on your web site. Do you know her USEF # or show name or former show name or bottom side of her pedigree? Why is she unregistered?
    Her show name is Sentimental, and her USEF # is 4867951. Her show record is easily verifiable. She is out of Solomon Farm's mare Nightshade, who has a proven record of producing fancy moving and winning hunters. She doesn't belong to me, so I have no idea if she is not registered, or if she is not why she is not.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    Her show name is Sentimental, and her USEF # is 4867951. Her show record is easily verifiable. She is out of Solomon Farm's mare Nightshade, who has a proven record of producing fancy moving and winning hunters. She doesn't belong to me, so I have no idea if she is not registered, or if she is not why she is not.
    I believe this was a "custom" foal bred by Ann Daum-Kustar for a client. Ann's mare Nightshade is a Meisterwind daughter and has produced some very nice horses. I am sure this foal would have been registered (RPSI) so her papers must have been "lost" .

Quote Originally Posted by NoDQhere
    I believe this was a "custom" foal bred by Ann Daum-Kustar for a client. Ann's mare Nightshade is a Meisterwind daughter and has produced some very nice horses. I am sure this foal would have been registered (RPSI) so her papers must have been "lost" .
    I think her owner may have leased the mare and bred her herself. She's very lovely.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse