The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Instructors in NJ -- who are your favorites

I haven't really had consistent dressage lessons since I've been back as an adult re-rider. I am thinking this winter I want to find someone to work with and really focus on my flat. I live in central NJ and was hoping you all might give me some suggestions.

I'd really like to not drive more than 30 mins. I have a couple of people I've ridden with in the past, but they either head south mid-winter or are a little farther away than I'd like to drive for weekly lessons.

Please share your thoughts

What's your price range? I would recommend Marilyn Payne or either of her children (all in Oldwick) or Kathy Adams in the Sergeantsville/Lambertville area (20 minutes south of Flemington). All are excellent and I can provide contact info, but an idea of what you're willing to pay would help! One note about the Paynes - they do have a few lesson horses, which is nice sometimes even if you have your own horse.
    http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncer/?start=20

Mares are like neutrons. If there are too many in an area, you approach critical mass. And then there are explosions. Loud ones.

Thumbs up

Sara Schmitt in Readington @ Hawk Hollow-S judge & she used to event when she was younger-great teacher!!!

If i am going to lesson every week I'd like to stay under 100. say 60-80. But for someone that I really clicked with and I thought was worth could do 100 but just would do 2wice a month.

I've never ridden or even done a clinic with Marilyn. That could be a god option or Doug or Holly Although I think they both head south at some point.

Caroline, is there a website for Kathy Adams in Sergeantsville or can you PM me contact info? I can't find much online for her and I think she may be quite close to me.
    Last edited by Friday1; Oct. 18, 2010 at 09:43 PM.

Default At Flora Lea?

I don't live in that area but I have heard great things about Kathy Adams. Isn't she at Flora Lea? I think the farm has a website.

I believe you're thinking about Debbie Adams. Kathy is in the Ringoes area.

There are actually 2 Kathy Adams in NJ which makes it a bit confusing.

There is a Kathy Adams who teaches at Flora Lea.

The Kathy Adams in the Ringoes area I believe (correct me if I am wrong) an upper level dressage rider.

Debbie Adams is also based at Flora Lea.

Quote Originally Posted by petit fromage View Post
    I don't live in that area but I have heard great things about Kathy Adams. Isn't she at Flora Lea? I think the farm has a website.
    Theres 2 Kathy Adams. One is an event trainer @ Flora Lea and the other is a dressage person..i ride with the one at Flora Lea.

Quote Originally Posted by piaffequeen View Post
    Sara Schmitt in Readington @ Hawk Hollow-S judge & she used to event when she was younger-great teacher!!!
    Will second Sara - she has a good eye and is a very good teacher!

She does dressage and combined driving now - had some interesting discussion today (learned a lot!) while walking obstacles.

And as before I recommend the Paynes. If you want to polish your flat work-stay with a dressage instructor. They are unusual in that they are very tidy in both.

I've been on both sides of the fence,and only after going to straight dressage, did I realize how I was just floating along while eventing.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.