The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Baby Shoulder-In to Baby Haunches-In: Walk Me Through

I have started introducing a little bit of the idea of a shoulder in to my green mare. She's very responsive to weight aids. Makes teaching her a little easier. It's been a while since I've done a S-I to H-I. Please walk me through all the aids to refresh my brain. Thanks much.

Default Shoulder in to Haunches in

I presume from your message that you have the baby shoulder-in. So while in the baby shoulder-in you are sitting a little more on your inside seatbone. Stay there. Move the horses shoulders back to the rail and continue to sit on the same seatbone. Apply your outside leg a little more to move the haunches to the inside. The shoulders stay parallel to the rail and the horse's outside hindleg will be on a line 'between' the two front legs....this is baby haunches in. Your inside rein in both movements should not be the stronger rein aid. Your shoulders follow the line of the horse's and your hips will rotate with the haunches.
    You may want to think about how much of baby haunches in you want to do. I usually do not do very much with haunches until I know that I am confirmed with being able to put the shoulders where I want them to be. It is more important in straightening the horse that you align the shoulders!

You might also try a "head along the wall" leg yield, then add bend to make it a haunches in, then turn it into a shoulder in- go slow with each transition.

NCSue, I can't weigh in on this topic, but just wanted to see if you were going to Dressage at the Preserve this weekend. I'll be there with a greenie I'm leasing! (And barn people and stuff)

I'm doing Intro A & B Hope to see you there!

Try this exercise.

Down the long side in baby shoulder-in (shoulderfore) and circle at E. When you finish your circle and come back to the rail go straight on the rail but use your outside leg back to keep the haunches in on the same inside bend that you had in the circle. Straighten before the corner, and repeat down the next long side.

Keep your rein aids and your weight aids the same, the only thing that you will change is your outside leg.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Thanks. Got it.

Azuwish -- I won't be at The Preserve. I'd love to see you and your horsie. May you have a good ride. I'll be at Whinstone Farms. My daughter is a working student for Karyn Becerra and she has plans to show one of Karyn's horses. Since I'm trailering it only made sense for me to take my mare there instead. Very sad though. Was looking forward to The Preserve show for a long time.

Shoulder in to straight...no haunches in is what I am being taught with my young horse. Make sure you have a correct SI
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Classical DQ has a good post. Think: your shoulders match the shoulders of your horse while your hips match the direction of your horse's hips. Baby SI to baby HI is a great exercise.

I find it easier to teach SI (on one wall and then when in the corner you switch to HI \
    (
    (
    (
    (
    (
    (
    (\\\\\\\\\\
    then i like to do TOF at the end of the HI and repeat in the new reversed direction
    you can take this to any degree of bend that the horse is capable of.
    Another one i like to do is the "fan" which has the hind legs staying on the same imaginary line, but the shoulders "fan" from one side of the line to the other. you can do the same where the front end stays on the same imaginary line and the hind end moves from side to side. Great tool on the trail. GREAT tool for prep work for trot lengthening.
    /
    /
    /
    l
    \
    \
    \
    my sig link has a video of Nuno Oliviera doing what I call "Nuno's Triangle" it's a great piece to study when you are working on introducing lateral
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

NCSue, bummer! I'm always trying to meet new people. I think I'm scribing at Clay Hill if you're going to that one (Nov. 6). Thanks for the good wishes.

Petstore, with TOF, I do something similar in relation to HI.

I actually have been working with my greenie with a "modified HI" because he has issues with my outside leg sometimes (specifically trot to canter, but right now we are just doing this exercise at walk). We haven't started SI yet (mostly because I actually do not know how to teach it), but we started out holding the haunches on the inside from turns on the forehand, with a bend to the inside. I say "modified HI" because I don't know if it is correct or not.

So on a 15m walking circle to left, go off the circle straight maintaining the light bend, ask for the turn on the forehand (haunches going to left; so it's like you'd be going to right afterward when you are teaching them to relax their back and to come against the outside rein for a circle to the right for original turn on the forehand), continue straight and keep leg present for the haunches to stay where they are and ask for the horse to continue staying soft to the inside and stay against the outside rein. After a few strides staying supple and with the haunches on the inside track, I let him straighten and then go back onto another medium-sized circle.

Again I'm not sure if that it 100% correct HI (I'm new to dressage), but like I said, I had to gain control of my outside aides better and that starts with him respecting my outside leg. So I'm likely just doing a modified haunches in and not a true haunches in. One of these days I'll have an awesome schoolmaster to teach me these things *dreams*