The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Courbette Saddle Question

Hello all! I am in the process of finding a new saddle, well new-to-me saddle ;-) I found a Courbette Vision Event saddle that I thought was a pretty fair price on consignment at a local tack shop. I sat in it at the store and liked it so I'm bringing it back to school with me today to try on my horse. I've had the same saddle since I bought my first event horse so I am an inexperienced saddle shopper. I know these retail for around $1600 new and they are asking less than half of that. It's in really good condition, not sure I'm sold on the two-tone color but, hey, it's pretty comfy from what I can tell. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this saddle or Courbette's in general.

Thanks!
    "There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse." - Robert Smith Surtees

I evented in a Courbette Derby up through prelim- it was more of a close contact saddle but it worked. If the saddle fits you and the horse then it's probably a good deal. My saddle held up very well and looked almost new 10 years after I got it. It was made out of a harder leather though, so not as comfortable as the newer calfskin saddles. You can also look on eBay for similiar saddles to see what they sell for to check if it is a good deal. Have fun! Saddle shopping is a pain!!
    5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO - you're on course!

I rode in that saddle (the Vision) for a long time and loved it. It fit my horse and I well and was very comfortable to ride in for extended periods. I bought mine new and had it for about 6 years, it was still in great shape when I sold it.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Courbettes are very well-made saddles that fit a variety of horses and last a long time.

Stateline had them on sale for $900 for a short period, so I bought one....

I thought it fit my horse, but it didn't and made him pretty back sore. But he's also got a very sensitive back. Otherwise I liked it, but ultimately he was sore enough that it had to go. I got lucky in that I was able to sell it immediately because I had paid half off via the SLT sale.

My friend had one for a long time and loved hers.