The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Default Hydrogen Peroxide Rules for Blood Stains

And, yes, this is HR b/c how else would I end up looking like I'd murdered someone unless I had, umm, actually murdered someone?

Sweet filly at the barn (a chestnut TB who blows apart the myths of chestnut TB females) somehow managed to catch her teeth on something in her stall. Barn employee found her and came and found me. Mouth full of blood and blood drooling out onto ground--check. Teeth so messed up that I can't figure out what went where or how it got to where it was--check. Fortunately two other clients were also still at the barn (we had all been sitting around talking about how we should really leave, but didn't feel like dealing with Friday afternoon traffic) and we managed to get the bleeding more-or-less stopped and call the trainer (who was at another client's father's wake) who called the vet, and call the filly's owner. Trainer called back and said to wait for the vet who would be there within an hour. Did I mention that this was Friday afternoon?

Owner, trainer, and vet all then attempt to get to barn. In Friday afternoon traffic. With a critical freeway interchange closed. It's sort of like one of those algebra problems: if Ms. A leaves south Orange Co. at 3:15, traveling at 15 mph in rush hour traffic and Dr. B leaves Bloomington at 2:51, but has to go home to retrieve jaw repair kit... Somehow they all managed to arrive at the barn within 15 minutes of each other, roughly 2.5 hours after they all started their respective journeys. Meaning that I spent that amount of time holding the horse with the bloody mouth. We figured I may as well keep holding her since I already looked like a mass murderer.

The filly was an angel. She didn't stress out. She got fairly annoyed when feeding time came and went and everyone else got to eat, but that was about it.

Vet examined her mouth, took a couple of radiographs and decided that this was something probably best dealt with by the vet hospital since the teeth were going to have to be pulled forward and up to go back in place. So, we walked her down there (yes, it's that close and, yes, I would have walked her down there in the first place if we hadn't been able to reach anyone or hadn't been instructed to stay put and wait for the vet). They were able to re-position the teeth and wire them together and to other parts of her mouth and hopefully she can come home tomorrow or Monday.

My sweatshirt looked like the photo on the left by the time all was said and done. I asked the vet for any handy tips she had for removing blood stains, figuring she had a lot of experience, and she said hydrogen peroxide and cold water. Fortunately it was on sale at Albertsons. Put about 6-8" of water in a bucket, added a few pints of peroxide, waited for the fizzing to subside, rinsed, repeated, and then washed in cold water with OxyClean. With the result shown on the right. Better living through chemistry.

Needless to say, I quoted DMK's signature line a number of times yesterday!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peggy's T  before peroxide.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	31064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peggy's T after peroxide.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	31065  
    The Evil Chem Prof

Excellent, well told story! Glad everything worked out reasonably well. Silly Filly!

I have found that the spray-on OxyClean works really well as well...but good to know about the hydrogen peroxide recipe as well as I'm sure it's a lot cheaper (and basically the same thing!)

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for your filly!

With all Rio's issues, I can't tell you how many times I've poured HP on his white socks and had instant white

Hope filly is ok!

Hydrogen peroxide is what we grab at work if there is blood, even dried blood (work at a dentist).

How about I also found out if you get ink from a pen on your shirt, if you spray hair spray on it when you get home and then wash it as normal, it comes out, even black ink on a white shirt. Swear!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyTBMare View Post
    Hydrogen peroxide is what we grab at work if there is blood, even dried blood (work at a dentist).

How about I also found out if you get ink from a pen on your shirt, if you spray hair spray on it when you get home and then wash it as normal, it comes out, even black ink on a white shirt. Swear!
    Good to know!!

Oh, so sorry the filly got hurt. I hope she's okay,

First off any stain including blood-rinse in cold water. It stops the stain from setting. Then some stain stuff for laundry. But the cold water rinse has saved me alot of clothes.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I went to visit her yesterday. There are advantages to being five minutes from the clinic.

The vet said it took him an hour just to get the teeth back to where they should be. She was muzzled when I saw her because it was only a few hours post-surgery. She was quite happy to have a visitor though disappointed that I didn't bring food. They were going to start feeding her later that day. The vet said they really don't need their front teeth to eat hay. She gets to come home tomorrow. She can even be ridden, just not with a bit. She may ultimately lose a tooth or two. It's unfortunate that she was just old enough to have some permanent teeth, including the ones waiting to come in.
    The Evil Chem Prof