The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dear Clinic Demo Riders,

If you are gonna be fancy and to use polo wraps, put them on correctly or have somebody do it for you. It is so distracting when I am watching you go around on a 20m circle working on your self carriage and pirouette steps. I can't hear what the BNR is saying cuz I am too distracted by the saggy polos, unevenly wrapped that are too thick in the middle or velcro that doesn't end at the top.

Stick to your neckid legs or boots!

Preesh!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Polo wrapping is an art that has been lost over the years I think. There is nothing wrong with boots if your wrapping sucks.

Having been taught the American Pony Club way of always wrapping to pull the tendon to the inside I find it strange that Germans don't care which way they are wrapping a leg. I also find it strange that I was always taught that on double velcro boots the first velcro piece was to go to the back because it had to do with which direction the tension was and the top velcro piece to the front since it has no tension. Germans do that the other way around as well. I forget sometimes... and then I wonder if they are thinking "dumb American...".

Something tells me you wouldn't like my "positive thinking" polos either.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h_100_1291.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kolsh View Post
    Something tells me you wouldn't like my "positive thinking" polos either.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h_100_1291.jpg
    wrapped nicely like that, I personally don't give a darn what fashion statements your horse is sporting... though perhaps restraint is wise for a clinic setting.

those are pretty cute though, and if they make you smile when you pick them up then you go girl
    Times and traditions in the horse world shift and change, much of the old grandeur has been lost; But for one brief shining moment, there was a gigantic shocking pink d**** in the Hunterdon tack room.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffRed View Post
    If you are gonna be fancy and to use polo wraps, put them on correctly or have somebody do it for you. It is so distracting when I am watching you go around on a 20m circle working on your self carriage and pirouette steps. I can't hear what the BNR is saying cuz I am too distracted by the saggy polos, unevenly wrapped that are too thick in the middle or velcro that doesn't end at the top.

Stick to your neckid legs or boots!

Preesh!
    Get over yourself. Does the wink make me not rude?
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

Nice wrapping technique, Kolsh! You are B.O.R. approved! Go you!

I'm am obsessed with prefect polos. I'm perfectly willing to put my head on the chopping block for even the pickiest of the picky. Pick away!

Recent photo of my wrap job and these were polos I was unfamiliar with.

Quote Originally Posted by in_the_zone View Post
    I'm am obsessed with prefect polos. I'm perfectly willing to put my head on the chopping block for even the pickiest of the picky. Pick away!

mmm, nice.

I will admit -- I am not a fan of polos. It's been mentioned elsewhere that boots protect the legs far better, and they are certainly easier for those of us who are fumble-fingered. I've also had the VERY unpleasant experience of a horse starting to bolt because one of his polos came loose and he thought he was being followed by a large, mint green snake Luckily he stopped fairly quickly, and luckily I was with another rider who got off her horse and was able to remove the offending "snake" entirely.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by in_the_zone View Post

Nice! Another B.O.R. seal of approval!

Thanks for the compliments!

I've also had the VERY unpleasant experience of a horse starting to bolt because one of his polos came loose and he thought he was being followed by a large, mint green snake Luckily he stopped fairly quickly, and luckily I was with another rider who got off her horse and was able to remove the offending "snake" entirely.
    That's why the pro's use tape at the top.

On another note, because of that issue, I would never jump in polos. It's not safe or proper.

and people wonder why there is a term "DQ"

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    ...and people wonder why there is such a thing as the 'IGNORE' feature.

oh, thats right. you are the person who cant stand anyone to disagree or not happily go along with what you say - silly me.... i had forgotten your rules of engagement.

you are going to find that most folks wont sign up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    Eh, I've always felt that way about polos, honestly, and I'm far from a DQ - I think it's more of a snobby horse care thing than a DQ thing. It's like an ill fitting bridle, saddle, or sheet, and it can have negative consequences beyond just looking sloppy.

Seriously, it's unsafe, useless, and potentially harmful to the horse's legs if you wrap incorrectly. Wrapping is a fine art and something that my grandmother oversaw for a long time before she let me do it on my own. She was a stickler for proper wraps, and I'm the same way - I cringe when I see too tight, too loose, or sloppy wraps, whether it's polos, standing wraps, or whatever.

Wrapping is something that needs to be taught and supervised during the learning process. I see a LOT of young/new riders who clearly have not been taught how to wrap but think they are supposed to because it's "dressagey" or they like the matching colors available. I found it very odd when I moved over to dressage land to see people use polos that are clumsily wrapped when boots exist that provide better protection and are easier and faster to put on.

Even as a skilled wrapper, wraps are going to do little to support your horse's legs during work, are more likely to cause an issue than boots if put on incorrectly, and provide less protection than an easier to put on boot.

I'd rather see NO wraps than sloppy or too tight wraps in pretty much all situations.

I only use polos during clinics because they're pretty and my horse doesn't need a ton of leg protection. So I'm the first to admit I mainly use them for that "dressage-look" factor (my one DQ habit I guess?) and they still provide a little protection against brushing. However, when I need legit protection, I have on boots.

@n2dressage - I've read a couple of articles/studies that say it really doesn't matter which way you wrap the tendons. I was taught to wrap the tendons inward, so I tend to do that, but I've heard/read it's a myth that it makes a difference.

Wraps done wrong can damage a horses legs, that's why I'm so particular about how they are applied. It has nothing to do with my level of DQness.

oh, don't misunderstand. of course if you are going to wrap - wrap correctly.

it was the delivery of the comment that is DQ-ish.

as for which way to wrap - probably doesn't matter as long as you pull back against the bone and not the tendon.

another piece of cool wrap info: only one person should wrap a horse because no person wraps the same and the pressure etc will be different.

Default Ignore

I keep forgetting.....
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

Besides the bad leg wrapping - what about the bouncing boobs and the swinging pony tails!!
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffRed View Post
    ...and people wonder why there is such a thing as the 'IGNORE' feature.
    Tally ho!
    EDDIE WOULD GO