The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Opinions Please - What Would You Do?

A little background -- I sold a TB mare I had bought for a project last September. She was hot but turned out to be a very nice jumper. I started her on Smart Pak Ultra Calm maybe 6-8 months prior to her being sold to see if it would help settle her a bit. It worked great. The day I sold her, I gave her new owner a couple of pages of typed notes... feed, riding program, medical history and noted that she had been on Smart Pak Ultra Calm and it seemed to help her focus. I strongly suggested they keep her on it.

Fast forward to today... She has a blog on Smart Pak's web site and face book page on how she the mare was wild and unpredictable when she got her, she almost got kicked out of Pony Club etc. etc...... It makes me everyone who helped me with this mare angry as she was going very well when she was sold both at home and at shows and of course we know that she was told the program that this mare did well on. This mare was at the KHP 1 month prior and ended up 7th out of 40 in the Schooling jumpers and Reserve Champion in the schooling jumpers at a local show 1 month prior their purchasing her.

Ok, should I just let it go, email her or post on the blog? My barn owner/trainer is just PO and I'm just disappointed that they didn't listen to me in the first place.

Are you upset because she seems to be taking the credit for making this horse good by choosing Smartpak? Or because she took her off SP in the first place?

I would understand being upset for them taking her off SP, I would be frustrated too.

If she seems to be taking the credit for how she made this horse, I would let it go, I don't think that anyone else who read those blogs would notice or care that two people are talking about the same horse. It benefits Smart Pak, No one else.

Seems to be the norm these days, the rescue syndrome...

Let it go. Karma is a big phat meany with cast iron britches
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Are you upset because she seems to be taking the credit for making this horse good by choosing Smartpak? Or because she took her off SP in the first place?

I would understand being upset for them taking her off SP, I would be frustrated too.

If she seems to be taking the credit for how she made this horse, I would let it go, I don't think that anyone else who read those blogs would notice or care that two people are talking about the same horse. It benefits Smart Pak, No one else.
    Probably a little of both and truth be told, anyone that matters knows my trainer and how we brought this mare along!

edit: posted too slow...

Regardless, I can see why you're frustrated but it's probably best to let it go unless she mentions you or your farm by name. Maybe send her a polite e-mail asking why she is saying those things, but IME if these sorts of things turn into an argument, everyone loses.

Then I'd let it go. It's about par for the course in these cases.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

I just read the blog. I can understand why you and the trainer would be ticked. Like was said, Karma is a B****.

Quote Originally Posted by carasmom View Post
    Probably a little of both and truth be told, anyone that matters knows my trainer and how we brought this mare along!
    I understand, I am sorry this happened.

Do you have a link where we can read the blog as well?

I went and looked at the blog and it seems like she lied and took credit for finding this supplement and putting her mare on it- bratty teenager wanting her 10 minutes of fame. What it does is discredit those "success stories"
    which I take with a grain of salt anyway....FTR, my mare is on smartpak ultra calm too.

Is the mare out of your area now?? It might be much more effective if you ever saw the kid and her parent face to face and mention you read her blog entry then say you were disappointed about what you read.

Otherwise, don't sweat it.

http://blog.smartpakequine.com/2010/...agan-and-cara/

Here it is.. I am disappointed and no, this mare is not out of my sight, in fact, I am probably going to see her at a hunter trial next weekend. I know all of you are right and I should quit thinking about it. The karma is that this mare went much better for me and I probably should have kept her. We we probably going to kick her a** next weekend anyway.

vent here, have people like me sympathize with you greatly (and I do) and let it go. if anything, smartpak gets a little recognition. nobody is going to be calling this person up interested in her 'miracle working'.

I vented, I'm happy and of course 2 glasses of cabernet later.... I 'm fine!
    Thanks,

there you go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Reading that does kind of make one wonder why she bought a horse that was so "nervous, excitable and unpredictable."
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I'd email or call SmartPak and ask them to remove this testimonial from their site, as it's inaccurate.

You could make a good case that this inaccurate testimony is damaging to both you and your trainer's respective reputations and could impact your ability to market your next horse in the future. The "handover" document you provided the new owners is ample evidence (if dated) that the horse was on the supplements previously.

At first I was going to suggest ignoring it, but after reading the webpage, the verbage is a bit over-the-top and definitely implies that the new owners purchased a maniac, which they miraculously "cured" via administration of New Improved Tide with Whitening, or whatnot.

And, um, how flipping desperate for your 15 minutes of fame on a horse supplement website does one have to be to write up a blurb like that? In essence stating that you can't ride a horse without a calming supplement?
    Last edited by Flashy Gray VA; Oct. 16, 2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: added more b/c I'm ticked off, bah!

Carasmom..you last post made my night...Thanks

1. CUTE horse! Seriously, she's adorable <3

2. What a little snot. She probably just wanted credit for taming a WILD(!) mustang, er, thoroughbred all on her own.
    Mel

IIWM, I'd let Smarkpak know. The real story is an even stronger endorsement for the supplement.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by onelanerode View Post
    Reading that does kind of make one wonder why she bought a horse that was so "nervous, excitable and unpredictable."
    Here's a picture of her 2 weeks prior to them picking her up... I think she's unmanagable don't you think?

http://inlinethumb15.webshots.com/44...500x500Q85.jpg
    Last edited by carasmom; Oct. 16, 2010 at 08:49 PM. Reason: wrong picture

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Oh completely! Obviously that jump just happened to be in the way when she decided to bolt with her rider, right?
    Full-time bargain hunter.