The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Big fat hairy cat!

Almost all the kitties in my life are attractive and slim. Our barn cats are silky soft, racing fit, sleek hunters who are always on the go, and they are all in the perfect weight.

And then there's my cat. My big, fair, hairy beastcat who weight 17lbs.

A lot of it is definitely hair, but picking her up is challenging and she's for sure overweight. She's always been a hairy, lazy beef ever since she was a kitten (even when she fit in the palm of my hand) but still. She needs to lose some weight.

She currently eats two small handfuls of Country Natural kibble twice a day, and a spoonful of wet twice a day. No byproducts (she was eating Eukanuba For Fatties but I switched because of that, it made her fatter!), but it does have whole grains in it. Which may be part of the problem? Not sure. For a fattie, she is certainly a picky, careful eater, and I will sometimes come home and find her crying for food but still have food in her bowl. I was thinking about putting her on a raw diet but I am certain she wouldn't eat it. She won't even eat cat treats! (Which is a good thing!) Not sure if leaving food freechoice is an option as the other cat in the house will gobble it down all day long.

Her coat isn't great on the Country Natural (was better on the Eukanuba), but I also think it's because she is fat and lazy and doesn't groom herself well. (Probably can't reach.) I brush her daily and it helps a bit.

The only toy she'll play with is the laser pointer. She will galumph after that for as long as she can, until she poops out. She carries cat toys around with her but doesn't play or chase. Hard to get her to exercise.

Help me figure out how to get the thundercat to lose some WEIGHT! Food recs? Exercise recs?

Default Thyroid check?

Maybe kitty has too little thyroid? Not an expensive blood test at my vet. Is she Maine Coon or Himalayan? There are several breeds that are just hefty, even when mixed with domestic house cats. I have 3 litter mates - the smallest kitten has become an 18 pounder and the other 2 are dainty 8 & 10 pounders.

Individual metabolisms and such.

Cats can and do have thyroid problems.
    Low energy and getting fatter on diet foods might be hypothyroid issues.
    And I've heard it's not uncommon for cats to go the other way with hyperthyroid as they age.
    At least the medication to offset the thyroid issues isn't oral...you rub it on thier ears and it absorbs through the skin. Huge benefit...anyone who makes oral cat meds needs a slap in the head. Ever try to get a pill in a cat that doesn't want a pill?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    anyone who makes oral cat meds needs a slap in the head. Ever try to get a pill in a cat that doesn't want a pill?
    Lol, give them to me! I am the master at giving kitties their pills. My method is full proof

For fat kitty- definately a vet check is in order to check for thyroid problems. If FK gets a clean check, change the way she eats. Don't just stick the food in a bowl, that's too easy. Hide her food around the house in numerous locations. The best places are at the top of stairs, on window sills, on top of counters, etc. Anywhere that FK where have to work to get her food. This way, FK will both work off calories AND spread the food out throughout the day. Just like people, eating many small meals is best for weight loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Oh boy.... now that I'm looking up breed characteristics of Maine Coons.... she is DEF part Maine Coon, if not all!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1464101_n.jpg
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6127367_n.jpg

I always thought her muzzle was weird, being so huge and long and square - but every Maine Coon picture I see has exactly that face! (Apparently good for lapping water out of icy New England puddles?) She is a BEEFY girl, that is for sure - BIG broad shoulders, big head, short thick neck, loooooooooooooooooooooong body, thick legs, wide paws with big tufted toes. And the vet told me when she was a teeny abandoned kitten that she would for sure max out at 8lbs..... yea right!

Maine Coon cats are cool - I've always wanted one - fat also keeps kitty warm in winter - you still might have her thyroid checked, just to make sure. As far as coat condition, hope she likes being brushed, can't imagine having a cat that big who made it difficult.

to give a cat a pill "first, put on leather gloves" , pry kitty jaws open. attempt to insert pill down throat as far as you can. Wipe off blood, retrieve pill from across the room, find cat, put on second pair of gloves and long sleeves. Repeat until exhausted.
    Just remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels.

Quote Originally Posted by Nvr2old View Post
    Maine Coon cats are cool - I've always wanted one - fat also keeps kitty warm in winter - you still might have her thyroid checked, just to make sure. As far as coat condition, hope she likes being brushed, can't imagine having a cat that big who made it difficult.

to give a cat a pill "first, put on leather gloves" , pry kitty jaws open. attempt to insert pill down throat as far as you can. Wipe off blood, retrieve pill from across the room, find cat, put on second pair of gloves and long sleeves. Repeat until exhausted.

Oh you have not met this beast... she is a kitty with a 'tude.... wants to be around you all the time and super affectionate, until you start to pet her when she doesn't want it... then she bites in a totally would be playful if she didn't have a mouth like Jaws kind of way.... and god forbid you trim her nails, or have to cut out a mat, or try to do a dry bath..... my roommate still has scars from the first and last time we did THAT. This kitty is a sweetheart with an evil side. So when it comes to brushing, I have to bribe her with loads of food, or else she attacks the brush!

You might do well to ditch the dry and go to a tinned diet for her - The Lipless Wonder went up and down in weight until I got him on strictly wet and he is about perfect. His coat is pretty good too, although nothing helps the harsh feel of the guard hairs. Now the outside cats are starting to pack on the pounds for winter and a couple of them are starting to resemble hairy coffee tables but it DOES keep them warmer.

As to pilling a cat, there are as many methods as there are cat owners, but this is my fave: http://www.jokesaboutcats.net/cats_joke_738.html

Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

IIRC you can get the thyroid medication in an ear rub formula. Of course, as soon as I started that my ancient cat no longer enjoyed ear rubs.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ritazza View Post
    Help me figure out how to get the thundercat to lose some WEIGHT!
    Pony her? (what would Go-go think )

I have a fat cat (14#) who panics when she gets too far away from her food dish (and the potty). I carry her to the far side of the lawn and set her down so she will sprint back to the house <evil grin> but she'll only fall for that a few times, then she just lays down and cries, or hides under the bed.

I have 8 idjit dogs that could give her a run for the money, but alas, you are in CT.

Gogo would STOMP her!! (Fat cat would definitely put up a good fight though.... my cranky girls!!)

I try to get the greyhound to chase her around, but all they do is cuddle and snuggle together, so that's a no-go either. Can I borrow some JRTs??

When we bought our farm over 6 years ago the man here had a number of barn cats (all spayed and neutered thankfully). He was moving a number of hours away so I just told him we would take them.

Well we renamed all the cats and socialized them. One female of rather robust size we named "Fat Cat". We must have been better at filling their cat food dish in the mow because it was not long before her named changed again to "morbidly obese cat". Catch mice? Why she says, I get delivery!!

MOC got so fat that we had to make her an indoor cat b/c she could not outrun our two stupid dogs (they don't want to hurt her just the thrill of the chase).

She has not only made for a superior indoor cat, who will do out on a nice warm day and roll around either on the front porch or driveway to get dirty, but she's lost weight! Right now she's about 14 pounds and while she's the first to the cat dishes, we have other house cats, she maintains her weight much better than when she was a barn cat.

I have a house full of cats, like people some are able to maintain their weight more easily and others not.

Ritazza, I had a cat just like your Miss Fattie McFattie. His name was Malvin, and he was the most ROCKSTAR cat EVAH! He didn't think he was fat, only big boned. We never knew his breeding, but we thought he was an American Long Haired Kitty Kitty. He really loved Fritos, Doritors and any kind of corn chip. He loved to be carried, sitting in shoe boxes and climbing up on the balcony so I had to rescue him. He also he loved hiding around the corner to attack my sister's Maltese who weighed 12 lbs less than he did- he weighed 18 lbs on a skinny day.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60...ts/slacker.jpg
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60...ets/malvin.jpg

I threatened to shave him every other day, but never did. He was just too cuddly and soft.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Having nine cats and a lifetime of experience (ha...ha) I second the idea of cutting out the dry food. It is calorie-dense, and cats who are already movement-challenged tend to snack way too much.

Our thundering herd also eats raw every other meal, and I feed a good, quality wet food (Wellness) in rotation. We put out dry in the morning, but just leave it out long enough for everybody to eat, then tuck it away. NObody is starving, although you wouldn't think so to hear them about 5 o'clock!

I have one kitty who is older, and has resisted all my attempts at getting weight off of her. I think a thyroid test might be needed.

I do enjoy a "cat of substance." Long hair, the kind the cat can't or won't care for himself.... well, that's just poor planning and a poor work ethic. No one should tolerate that in a cat.

Besides spending some money at your vets for a thyroid test, I think this cat will teach you that it's more work for you to put her on a diet than you can stand. After all, she has *nothing* to do all day but defend her interests. Can you say the same?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I do enjoy a "cat of substance." Long hair, the kind the cat can't or won't care for himself.... well, that's just poor planning and a poor work ethic. No one should tolerate that in a cat.

Besides spending some money at your vets for a thyroid test, I think this cat will teach you that it's more work for you to put her on a diet than you can stand. After all, she has *nothing* to do all day but defend her interests. Can you say the same?
    LOL.... I WISH I could say the same!!

Under a rock, up in the hills of Sage, So. Calif, southeast of Hemet & north east of Temecula

Default Maine Coons Rule

I have two Maine Coon crosses that I got from the local shelter some years back. They both came grossly overweight. My vet said to get them off the dry food as they would never lose weight on that. I feed a better canned food and they get far less then the label recommendations.
    The Big Guy was 23 lbs when I got him; he is 16.5 on his last vet visit in August. The Fluffy Guy was 18 lbs when I got him; He is 12.5 now. Both could lose a bit more flubber from their bellies yet.
    Do take your cat to a good vet to check out all possibilities.

Maine Coons are the air ferns of the cat world. They tend as a breed to be more laid back and do not invest much energy in playing. Mine will play with the laser light or a ribbon for about 5 minutes and I swear that sometimes I am working harder then they are.
    My horses are Morgans, the air-ferns of the horse world. Do we discern a theme here?
    There is no such thing as "bad" horsemanship or "good" horsemanship. There is simply Horsemanship or the absence thereof.

www.oldmorgans.blogspot.com