The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Fresh Cooled vs. Frozen

I apologize for the newbie question, but I've noticed that some stallions offer both a fresh cooled with LFG option and the option to buy frozen "by the dose".

In simplistic terms, what are the benefits/drawbacks to each way. I know that the frozen "by the dose" is very cheap comparatively so I assume that has to do with the LFG?

If you have a broodmare that is very easy to get into foal would there be any reason to not try the "by the dose" frozen if you have a very experienced repro vet?

Statistically, you have about a 10% less chance of getting a mare in foal with frozen. That said, if you have a fertile mare, and are willing to take a wee bit of a chance, the frozen option is enticing. It also eliminates the need to order and get fresh semen delivered at the appropriate moment. I just love having the semen sitting in a tank at my vet's place, waiting to be inserted at the precise time. However, when you don't get a mare in foal with a dose or two of frozen, and had no LFG, a big chunk of change goes down the drain. Because I love the simplicity of frozen, the few stallions who offer the LFG option are enticing, but I confess I haven't ever purchased one of those breedings.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com