The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sell and buy another? Or keep and breed?

OK COTH friends... I've finally gotten over the trauma of selling my first horse, my little 5 yr old andalusian gelding - some of you may remember. Now I'm thinking of doing something else rather unlike me to do:
    I've been considering breeding my coming 4 yr old Balta Czar filly (mare). She was injured as a yearling and will not have a riding career. I still feel she has a future as a producer of very nice foals however. This is the thing though. She is more of a hunter type. I ride dressage. If I bred her I would keep the foal for myself. It's a crapshoot though since a totally inappropriate horse may pop out and I will have waited a long time to find that out. Since she is a lovely premium Balta Czar daughter though, my question is: should I try to sell her or place her with a hunter breeder and buy another (dressage) mare for me to ride and maybe breed down the road? I still like the idea of breeding, but since I sold my little horse I have nothing to ride right now. Seems like a simple decision but I bred this mare myself- she's my first homebred so it is crucial that she stay in a situation at LEAST as good and as loving as I could provide for her. It is pretty much my fault that her injury didn't heal so I couldn't bear it if she ended up in a bad situation through no fault of her own. She's my baby! So COTHers, if this were you, what would you do? Thanks for reading this!

I would sell her and buy a dressage mare. With as long as you keep horses, and how much care you put in, it would be a shame for the wrong type to come out. Some Hunter breeder is going to love that filly! You deserve to get exactly what you want, and are doing her no disservice by finding her the right home.

I would sell her given what you have said on this thread and others regarding this mare. I know she is your baby, but I think you would be better off buying a different mare, IMHO.

I was in this situation as well. Homebred mare injured at five, bred afterwards and produced a hunter type gelding (she is dressage bred). This was a lot of work for me to resell as I knew nothing about training a horse to jump or go in a hunter frame, so he had to go to a hunter sales barn to be trained/sold and it was costly (4000 for three months worth, including board, training, and sales commission). I would never put myself in that situation again as it was stressful and frustrating.

I ended up breeding her again in 2009 and got a dressage bred colt (by a different sire, who is definitely more dressage bred) and pondered about rebreeding her again. But, it's a crapshoot, sometimes you get what you want sometimes you don't. To me it wasn't worth it. I ended up selling my mare a week ago to a super lady who is interested in breeding her, doesn't care about her career-ending injury, and will love her as much as I did. It was super hard and I was very heartbroken, but now I am in the right position to buy a horse that I want to ride, that has the right type and movement for dressage. Leave the breeding to the experts, it is not for the faint of heart. Sell her to a good home.
    Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

Is it in the cards to perhaps lease her out as a broodmare? Then you'd have a measure of control down the road, if she were to become unbreeding sound or something, over how she is treated..

I'm not a huge fan of leasing, but perhaps that would work in your situation.

I was thinking the same as DandyMatiz. Another thought is instead of sending her somewhere to be a broodmare, doing an on-site broodmare lease. They pay for stud fee, vet care, a small boarding fee (essentially just covering her hay/grain) and then they get the foal. You control her care/environment, and they get a lovely foal out of the deal. This would only work if you have your own place. But it might work out really well for someone who wants to breed but doesn't have the room/set up for a broodie. Could be a win-win!
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

I am in accord with Edgewood and Honeychile.
    Hard, when you love them so, but the logical solution can be the best and happiest all around.
    Best wishes,

I know it's hard, but you really shouldn't involve your emotions when making decisions like this, IMHO, especially when it comes to breeding. Can you keep her and buy another? You'd still have 2 horses, but you would have 2 anyway if you decided to breed her.

If she will likely not produce something even near what you want, then let her go. I would also suggest leasing her to a breeding farm. This way you can keep tabs on her and take her back should something happen. If she were rideable, then I would lean towards selling her. Since she is not, she is much more likely to end up in a bad situation should she not be breeding sound or the farm she is at ends up in a bad financial situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    If she will likely not produce something even near what you want, then let her go. I would also suggest leasing her to a breeding farm. This way you can keep tabs on her and take her back should something happen. If she were rideable, then I would lean towards selling her. Since she is not, she is much more likely to end up in a bad situation should she not be breeding sound or the farm she is at ends up in a bad financial situation.
    Good idea, or you could do an on your farm breeding lease.

I agree with those who have said sell her. It's tough, but in this situation I'd make a clean break and move on.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut) and EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    This is a good idea. If you can really afford to do it aka I have a lump sum in my account to buy another horse.

If you can't, sell her. It is foolish to think that only you can love her and take care of her. Someone else can! Perhaps even better because they will appreciate her fully for what she is... a Hunter.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn