The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to splice non-climb fence wire?

How do you splice two sections of non-climb fence wire together?

Most of the instructions I can find online talk about sleeves and a crimping tool. But the advice I got was, "oh, just splice it".

Okay, how?

I currently have two sections laid down flat with a couple of the vertical wires stripped off, leaving 6-8" of horizontal wire.

I have overlapped the first "square" on each side. (Do I need to?)

And I'm wrapping the horizontal wire around its mate on the other side of the square. Basically doing half of a Western Union splice on each side of the square.

I am not making a bend in the horizontal wire and bringing it back to itself. Should I be doing that, in effect making another "square" splices on all the horizontal bits? (Not sure there's enough room in a 2" square.)

Descriptions of how to do this are most welcome, and if you have some spliced non-climb wire in your pasture, pictures would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Basic way to splice any wire is to make a loop on one side, just bend the wire and wrap it around itself several times, leaving a loop where it bends, then attach that to the fence stretcher, pull the opposite wire, run it thru the loop, bend it back and wrap it several times around itself.

Since you don't have tension on the wires yet, much easier, you can just do it without needing a fence stretcher, one wire at the time, the whole vertical length of the mesh.

The other kind of wire splice in your link is more for electric wire, not for plain wire.

Yeah... that didn't work at all.

With a whole square overlapped, the wraps are too far apart to pull against each other, and it was just going to slide the vertical wires together and make a mess.

I'm now trying it with only _one_ vertical wire overlapped, but still keeping the horizontal wires going in the direction they were originally headed. That's more like the Western Union splice, except there's a vertical wire in the middle.

I got the idea for that splice from a USDA NRCS document on woven wire, which says, "Wire shall be spliced with a figure-eight knot, or twisted with 8 wraps of each end about the other (western union splice), or by suitable splice sleeves applied with a tool designed for the purpose."

If that doesn't work, I will try bringing the wire back to itself, but we're finding this wire (Beckaert ZA) is brittle and will break if you twist or bend it too much.

Those sleeves and the crimping tool are looking better and better...
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Why are you trying to splice it? We always just doubled up on a post with a new roll of wire.

That's what we did too. We just finished it off at a post and started the next roll. If there were any sharp edges we just took a piece of 1x6 and screwed it to the post to cover them.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

The splice worked, but it didn't pull quite even, so the vertical wires got a little wavy. And it's really hard to pull 200' of wire upright, so it's not as tight as I'd like. (Of _course_, this is the run going down the driveway!)

We won't be doing that again. The next long run is going to be in max 96' segments with braces on each end.

Oh well, it sounded like a good idea at the time. Thanks for all the ideas!
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick