The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

walmart free since 2003

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

walmart free since 2003

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I heard this yesterday. Even tho they did say it had nothing to do with proformance enhancing they have a no anything tolerance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "The Judicial Committee has agreed that the horse, Goldfever, and (Beerbaum) must be disqualified from the event <span class="ev_code_RED">and that all prizes and prize money won at the event must be forfeited," </span>the FEI said in a statement on its Web site <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Have I been missing something for all of these years. Prize money in the Olympics http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif ???? Where have I been?
    "The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse" Lord Palmerston

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Party Rose,
    I had wondered about the prize money too? Or is that just a blanket statement?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bumpkin:
    It seems like in the Olympics, as long as you are Drug Free you will win.
    http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FOR REAL!!!! Sheesh..after all those drugging threads about our vacationing riders/trainers this year, who woulda thunk we'd be the only cleanies!
    Lover of Nimmerdor, the Red Sox, and the jumper ring.

I believe that rules are rules and that everyone has to play by them. I am happy that we have the gold and we have wonderful riders that deserve a gold in every way....however, I still believe that this creme did not enhance Goldfever's performance and that this is an empty gold for us, except that it congratulates our "drug" honesty. And that is a feather in our cap.

I am sure the Germans are devastated and they should be. They are incredible riders and someone should have stopped the use of this creme regardless of whether it had an effect or not. It's still illegal. Tho I must admit, I myself have used the creme on myself, and it sure didn't make me any more athletic.

It pains me that this all happened and I hope it never happens again, at least on such a large and international horsey scale. I guess the next story will be of Cian O'Connor, and this pains me as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bumpkin:
    It seems like in the Olympics, as long as you are Drug Free you will win.
    http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow...harsh... they still had to jump the jumps..I dont condsider they won by "default" when they won by playing by the rules..they all KNEW the rules...only some played by them..too bad soo sad for the ones who can't figure out what the rules are at THAT stage of their competative life. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

It certainly tarnishes the thrill of the gold medal to win by default of someone else's errors in judgement. I wonder did they use the same NSAID which we just approved for use.

Thank you, Snowbird. I like agreeing with someone intelligent. Sorry I can't join you in Lexington. I love it there.

The money's kinda tarnished, too...it's like blood money, maybe a little better, but not much.

Pity, the whole scandal about drugging in the games. I still consider the Germans to be the ultimate powerhouse in show jumping and agree with the previous poster who didn't believe that whatever was found in the tests did actually enhance Goldfever's performance. Really, when this horse and rider combinate have been performing so remarkably in prior years without any such incidents, why on earth would they choose to take a stupid risk like using performance boosters at the biggest oh them all - the Olympics? Ah, well. What's done is done.

With regard to the prize money, I know that some NFs offer incentives to their athletes in the form of healthy monetary compensation if they bring back a medal. Perhaps this is what the statement was referring to when it mentioned prize money.
    Without a Doubt

They are the ultimate powerhouse, whoever you are, OO..

It's a huge denouement... http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif

I'll just sit here and look stupid.......
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Is that your son in the picture, Betsy,...he's cute.

What a BS gold. The US didn't "win" it, they did not earn it, they were given it.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Now that I have skimmed the above two articles, may I add the following:

1) I can understand why the betameth was applied...the cold makes my skin crack around my nails and I apply cortisone to soften the very painful crack...doesn't give my fingers speed while typing or playing the piano...(wish it did,, I could play "Flight of the Bumble Bee so much faster!!!); I put betameth on my dog's tummy skin eruptions...cleared them up but didn't give her cut abs (no Guiness Book of Records for her!)....What perturbs me even more is that Mr. Beerbaum's groom put the cream on....did LB know...did the groom know? Ugh!

2) Now here's where I get controversial. Sorry. I am somewhat disappointed in McLain Ward's comment. He is so talented. Maybe it is youth that causes that hoof in mouth disease. A bit more humility, a bit more...I don't know the word. It would have been far more judicious to say:

"We are sorry to get the gold in this manner. The Germans are a powerhouse, a very talented team. We accept their loss, however, we look forward to the Olympics in 2008 where we hope to get the gold a different way, a better way."

I am sure that this is what you meant, Mr. Ward. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Coreene, I agree with you re" "winning" the gold... I wouldn't want to be LB's groom right about now. I have to wonder what she was thinking having been his groom for the past 18 years. She should have known better.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

walmart free since 2003

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

&lt;&lt;What perturbs me even more is that Mr. Beerbaum's groom put the cream on....did LB know...did the groom know? Ugh!&gt;&gt;

Not only did the rider know, but his team vet knew as well. There was also a part played, (inadvertently?), by the official FEI vet...all of which have been the subject of past threads, many of which included quotes of FEI proceedings/statements to that effect. The ramifications of the disqualification are no surprise, this development has been expected for quite some time...

But I don't see what has changed, as the IOC must still follow through regarding the recommendation of the FEI, and do the disqualifying--I don't see the IOC mentioned in this report. I might be missing something, but it seems that this point in the proceedings was reached a couple months ago.

LB still has the option of appealing to the CAS.

Thoughts?

The German fed is getting a big dose of "what goes around..." after taking the hard line with LB's SIL, MMB, they can hardly uphold LB's or their team's hold on the gold.

Not to mention thoughts about the ongoing Cian Chronicles...

I think we have learned that Gold isn't everything, and its price is very high. And that we'd do well to simply pay attention to how the game is run, and how we run our own game. We have a lot of housekeeping to do right here on our shores, on all fronts, certainly enough to sharply temper any satisfaction we might feel at having our team elevated to the number one spot under these circumstances.

It is a shame that the German's for whatever reason lost the medal. BUT when playing by the rules, at this point you gotta know them. Just wish everyone had gone by the rules...