The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down UnStable... the show and the people on it...

I was wondering if anyone out there has seen this show... It's Canadian and is a reality show following the trials and tribulations of a new barn (Wendigo Farms) and those that run it (on the CMT network). This sounds like a pretty good premise to an avid horse person like me... Unfortunately, it shows all that can be bad about a high end barn.

Here is the "About the show" on the website:
    "Take an emotional journey with pro-rider Allie, business manager Tammy and her 12-year-old daughter Alex, along with barn manager Megan, as they pursue their vision of building a world-class equestrian show barn. Pitted against established industry giants, the hardships of daily life and motherhood, and their desire for meaningful relationships, can the girls make their dreams come true?"

Unfortunately Allie and Tammy fight ALL the time, Megan who has a terrible attitude and wouldn't know hard work if it kicked her in the but and introduced itself, YET, has apparently worked for many top show barns (she likes to name drop, and has stated that she has tacked up Eric Lamaze's horse). Allie has no money of her own to spend and runs to her mother for $ when she needs it, yet makes fun of Tammy, who works for a living on top of trying to run the barn. On top of the cattiness and pettiness, we have their first boarder, Courtney, who is everything that keeps me away from high-end show barns. She is snotty, catty, gossipy, and just plain old mean! All of this observed by Alex, Tammy's daughter.

Premise of the show... good
    Reality of the show...

I've heard tell of it, but I haven't seen it.

Is it only on tv in Canada?

You have to give them some credit for that title, though!

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I've heard tell of it, but I haven't seen it.

Is it only on tv in Canada?
    Well, I'm not entirely sure. I have satellite. Do you get CMT (Country Music Television)? If you do, I guess it would depend if programming was the same.

Sadly, watching the catty infighting is oddly addicting...

I do get CMT, but I've never noticed that show on it in the US.

I'll have to keep an eye out for it, although I probably won't last long if it's a typical reality show.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

It's scripted to a great degree, though it is fairly realistic.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

This show is AWFUL!

Sometimes it is really apparent that there isn't a single female writer on the crew...it definitely comes across as a caricature...how people think catty horsewomen would talk.

So totally agree that it is addicting though.

The part that kills me is the way they abuse that neighbor guy, Jamie.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    It's scripted to a great degree, though it is fairly realistic.
    Ugh! Who would agree to that sort of scripting? Some of us (perhaps a bit naively) still believe that the majority of reality shows are still that, and what they say and do reflects on them and their business. Who wants to come across like like that?!

Yeaj its on CMT usually Saturday nights, all re runs though. It basically is scripted but with real people and their barn is pretty pathetically run. I would be shocked if it made it to season two.

It's bloody awful. Can't believe it gets any ratings.

I saw about 10 minutes of it once. I consider that 10 minutes of my life that I wasted.
    Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur
    Come join us at - TheMuckBucket

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialEffects View Post
    I saw about 10 minutes of it once. I consider that 10 minutes of my life that I wasted.
    Agreed! Makes me very happy to board at a very private uncomplicated farm/barn...
    Last edited by FalseImpression; Oct. 17, 2010 at 05:51 PM.

It's only on CMT in Canada as far as I know, but you can watch episodes on the CMT Canada website for free. I did watch the first six episodes, I think. It's pretty bloody awful because of the scripting--it's so obviously fake in places and they're such bad actors that it makes me want to smash my head into a wall. Think the TV show of "The Saddle Club." Terrible terrible writing and acting. But I still watch it for the pretty ponies.

Would not board my horse there ever, but I'm definitely going to go check it out next time they have an open house, because they're only an hour away. (;

There were some threads on EMG about it if anyone wants to read more
    http://www.equiman.com/forums/

I watched it a few times and realized that the title of the show seems appropriate-the episodes I watched were nothing more than soap opera episodes.

A few weeks ago I saw someone at a Royal Winter Fair qualifer show and as they walked by I couldn't figure out why I recognized them (we don't travel in those circles-other than for this show). Then I saw the back of the jacket-Wendigo Farm.

What I can't figure out is why they agreed to participate in this project-I guess money is money and any publicity is good publicity but I get enough of bitchy girls fighting and complaining behind each other's back in the high school where I teach, so seeing it on a TV show isn't high on my interest list.

I truly don't understand the "any publicity is good publicity" adage. Sure you get your name out there, but the caliber of people you attract, who want to be in that kind of environment, certainly wouldn't make this barn a comfortable, welcoming place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by We Ride View Post
    I was wondering if anyone out there has seen this show... It's Canadian and is a reality show following the trials and tribulations of a new barn (Wendigo Farms) and those that run it (on the CMT network). This sounds like a pretty good premise to an avid horse person like me... Unfortunately, it shows all that can be bad about a high end barn.

Here is the "About the show" on the website:
    "Take an emotional journey with pro-rider Allie, business manager Tammy and her 12-year-old daughter Alex, along with barn manager Megan, as they pursue their vision of building a world-class equestrian show barn. Pitted against established industry giants, the hardships of daily life and motherhood, and their desire for meaningful relationships, can the girls make their dreams come true?"

Unfortunately Allie and Tammy fight ALL the time, Megan who has a terrible attitude and wouldn't know hard work if it kicked her in the but and introduced itself, YET, has apparently worked for many top show barns (she likes to name drop, and has stated that she has tacked up Eric Lamaze's horse). Allie has no money of her own to spend and runs to her mother for $ when she needs it, yet makes fun of Tammy, who works for a living on top of trying to run the barn. On top of the cattiness and pettiness, we have their first boarder, Courtney, who is everything that keeps me away from high-end show barns. She is snotty, catty, gossipy, and just plain old mean! All of this observed by Alex, Tammy's daughter.

Premise of the show... good
    Reality of the show...
    Sounds pretty realistic to me...

I'm going to have to dig around for this show. I've missed it somehow.

The show is pretty much entirely scripted. And I really, really wouldn't call Wendigo a "high end" barn. Not even close.

Watch it here, if you dare.
    http://www.cmt.ca/UnStable/Episodes.aspx

It's still on so who does watch it?

I don't think it is still on. There were xx number of episodes and there's nothing on the website saying it's coming back for another season. I attempted to sit through it twice - didn't make it.

People who watch it are people who like train wrecks. I DO like a good train wreck but I couldn't watch it... So I don't know who watches...

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    The show is pretty much entirely scripted. And I really, really wouldn't call Wendigo a "high end" barn. Not even close.
    Well, high end meaning what they charge for full board.... What I understood from 1 episode is that board is over $800 a month! That's on the "high end" for me!!!

Just from various BB postings I thought it was back or coming back. I just couldn't figure it out.

No... with some of what's on TV never mind.