The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Warmest, most waterproof winter barn boot?

I just got a job managing a barn in NY, and I am very excited about it...except it's almost winter. And I've spent the last 4 years in a warmer climate. But I'm born and raised in NY, so I know all I need is the proper equipment to keep me warm and dry! After looking through my Smartpak, BoB, and Dover catalogs, it seems I have a plethora of choices. So help me narrow it down! Here are the criteria, in order of importance:

1) WARM!
    2)Comfortable (will be walking/standing all day; I am most comfortable in MH or Ariat footbeds)
    3)Waterproof
    4)I'd love some tall one's that I could hop on a naughty schoolie if need be, but really good paddock boots I could throw chaps on over would work as well.
    5)Durable, will last at least the whole season
    6)Easy(ish) on/off.

What winter boots can't you love without?
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

have you thought about just buying a nice pair of full chaps? that's my recommendation

Full chaps would leave me with nothing on my feet! I needs boots of some sort that are warm, waterproof and comfy. And I prefer to ride in tall boots and breeches anyway, just personal preference.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I have a pair of BOGS boots that I've been really happy with so far. They make a riding version: http://www.bogsfootwear.com/_product...ER_CORSAGE_BLK (These do come in less vibrant colors, lol.)

My barn manager had a pair of Original Muck Boots, and those also have a riding model: http://www.muckbootsonline.com/Brit_..._p/bct000a.htm
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I've been a Mountain Horse devotee for years. My last pair died last winter after five years of regular winter use. I've had a few different types (all tall boots), and all have been warm and dry!
    Proud member of the EDRF

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    I've been a Mountain Horse devotee for years. My last pair died last winter after five years of regular winter use. I've had a few different types (all tall boots), and all have been warm and dry!
    MH had a rugged paddock boot that was insulated.... I don't think they make it anymore. My first pair lasted several years, my second is still going strong 8 years since original purchase. I love them. I bought their Ice Rider insulated tall boots and was not as happy with them, in fact only wore them a few times.

Stock up on Smart Wool socks, silk long underwear, and fleece vests for layering under a coat.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

This place has lots of boots that look impervious to bad conditions:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/c...ens-shoes.aspx
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Flashgordon - Thanks for the tip on the Smart Wool socks! I just bought 4 pair! I'm curious about the new Ariat Brossard boots, seem like they would be great, but I'd hate to have a $180 experiment turn out poorly. They seem like they would be tough enough for the barn, but soft enough around my knee that I won't get blisters. Plus a wide enough calf to get my jeans and long underwear into them!

I looooooove my Muck boots. They are so warm and cozy.. we had plenty of days around or below 0F last winter, and my feet never got cold. They aren't very good for riding, but they're worth it. You *can* ride in them if you have wide stirrups or no stirrups, but after my accident caused in part by too-wide boots, I won't ride in them again.

I love my Mountain Horse tall boots. They are rubber, and very warm and comfortable. In fact I even hike in them when it's really muddy.

I don't think they are the Ice Riders. Just the winter tall boots.

I have the ice rider paddock boots by mountain horse. Good down into the teens although my toes will get cold if I'm not moving. They are fairly bulky and I can't wear halfchaps with them, but my winter breeches are thick so it doesn't matter.

My favorite boots are some winter hiking boots from lands end. Super warm, breathable, extremely light weight, extremely comfortable and 100% waterproof. You could ride in them as they have a slightly heel, and put 1/2 chaps over top. Not sure if they still make this model, but I'm sure there are other like them.

I bought some of the first MR, short and tall winter boots and they leaked and fell apart in the first month of use, had to throw them away, both.
    Glad to hear that newer models are holding better.

I'm in TX...."cold" here isn't particularly "cold".

I tried on the Brossards and sent them back - they felt TOO warm!

Endless.com was having a 20% off sale a couple weeks ago - and it's free shipping both ways.

Generally my body temperature is a few degrees colder than other people, plus I live in Siberacuse and it's taken several years to find a complete outfit to keep me warm head to toe in the barn.
    If you can keep your feet warm, you're halfway there. I've worn Merrell Summit hiking boots for over 10 years (2 pairs) and although the soles may feel "grippy", you easily get used to getting them out of the stirrup.
    http://www.trailspace.com/gear/merrell/summit/

Although my second pair was made in China instead of the US, they still perform better than any other boot I've tried. (until I can afford MH boots)

These are my every day winter boots as well as riding boots with half chaps. Completely waterproof unless you stand in a creek or something. The tongue is fabric, but you can fold it to really insulate. Smooth leather sides don't rub against the stirrup. They have fantastic padded ankles that give me support when riding. But the BEST thing is just the body construction-enough room to wear thick wool socks adding to the already stellar insulation.

I also learned to keep them clean & oiled, as the first pair cracked & the toe separated from the sole a bit. I paid $60 for the first pair at a hiking store. Once I knew the brand & size, I got the second pair off ebay for $30.

I don't wear them to the barn but I have a pair of Merrell hiking shoes and really like them. I too need some new winter footwear for the barn and I think I'm going to get some Chore Hi boots or Muckmasters by the Original Muck Boot Co. and then switch into some other boots for riding (I don't ride every time I go to the barn so it'll work best for me). It seems their "Brit Colt" boots are actually made for riding..?
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Quote Originally Posted by tollertwins View Post
    I'm in TX...."cold" here isn't particularly "cold".

I tried on the Brossards and sent them back - they felt TOO warm!

Endless.com was having a 20% off sale a couple weeks ago - and it's free shipping both ways.
    Then they might work for me! How was the fit and construction? Did they seem like you could ride in them if needed?

I live in my Muck Boot Chore Boots. I put in a nice gel insole so they feel great to work in all day. They do fit in a 4.75" stirrup, so if I get on a horse that I don't think is going to try to dump me and don't need spurs I'll ride in these. I otherwise bring along my zippered tall boots to slip into if need be. I don't even have to reach down to put the Muck Boots on, I just point my toe into them and push my feeties in. If they get covered in mud, I can just walk over to the hose and spray them off. The only problem with easy on is they are easy off too, so if you get into deep, sticky mud you have to go slow or else you may end up with 2 stocking feet in the cold yuck!

The brossards definitely felt like you could ride in them (that's actually what I was trying them on for). Nice, flexible foot, too!

They would stand your leg off the horse a little (they are thinsulate), but it didn't seem too bad.

They are not quite as tall as a tall boot...so how well it worked might depend on the length of your leg and where the saddle flap hit.

Construction looked pretty sturdy - and at free shipping both ways it's an easy to do look see.

Fit - I used to wear a 7 1/2 a LOONNGGG time ago and haven't had Ariats on since. I tried a 7 1/2 and would have needed an 8. The zip was a tad tight and the footbed a tad short.

For comparison - I wear a small Ariat terrain half chap - and it is a tad tight on the zip as well. 'Bout the same, actually. But I wasn't gonna go there in a boot!

Thanks! I think I'm going to give them a go! I guess someone's got to be the guinea pig.