The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default A reminder of the wonder of dressage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbLXpW5-DG0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKbqokuTzh8&NR=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4tiM...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T3Ac...eature=related

The horse is forward, little tension, the quality of the gaits...a real extension, the horse knows it's happy as opposed to this is all it knows is managed tension, look how relaxed Klimke is as well...the smile is genuine. Just a reminder...maybe in time we will get back to this. PatO

I hope so. How beautiful. Thanks for posting.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

As much as the Klimkes are my heroes, Reiner worked a lot harder in the Piaffe than his horse
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Ok, remember the story of the Emperor's new clothes?

The horse is frequently above the bit, dropped in the back and the hind legs trail out behind. Only in the last extended trot does he really sit. The passage is uneven, the piaffe is sometimes non-existant, and one time it went backward. The horse lacks bend, see his haunches swing out on the corners, the collected trot is not really carrying, and some of the extensions are just running. Yes it was great for that time, but riders and horses have improved.

Not to mention the horse's tail is going like a helicopter in the actual test- so swishing tails must not be all bad huh?

Talking Beautiful and correct

Columbus;
    Nice to see there are those who appreciate correctness in the presentation.

Some folks today do not even comprehend how to use the terms they spew when describing dressage.
    www.hartetoharte.org
    Ask and allow, do not demand and force.

Neither do you. Term-spewing is all you're capable of, Reverend. Like a parrot.

If we long for the good old days, perhaps we ought to go back to the days before antibiotics and good hygeine when women regularly died in childbirth and everyone was in danger from simple infections.

I do not understand the people who long for dressage as it was 30 or 40 years ago. Can you say "stagnant"? Reverend Buck can, though he often misspells it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Horses are better bred now, riders (the top riders, anyway) crosstrain for fitness, the technologies that we now enjoy have made riding and horse ownership easier, safer, and better.

The Dressage Luddites would take us back to the days of labored piaffes, so-so gaits and riders that, by today's standards, would be only marginal competitors. Why is that? Are you threatened by the people & horses who are achieving more and greater things? Does it make you feel less capable, as if dressage is leaving you behind in the dust?

Train and compete comfortably at your own level whatever that is. Ride and train the way you and your horse feel most comfortable. Don't begrudge the top riders who just happen to have access to great talent and opportunity. It makes you look jealous and small.

So rants the wondrous and almighty Beasmom, the magnificent dressage Master.
    www.hartetoharte.org

Quote Originally Posted by columbus View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbLXpW5-DG0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKbqokuTzh8&NR=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4tiM...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T3Ac...eature=related

The horse is forward, little tension, the quality of the gaits...a real extension, the horse knows it's happy as opposed to this is all it knows is managed tension, look how relaxed Klimke is as well...the smile is genuine. Just a reminder...maybe in time we will get back to this. PatO

Columbus,

Thank You! Made my morning, laughing with joy at Ahleric and Klimke's one tempe changes! His riding is so TRUTHFUL and Ahleric's movement is so FREE. It's a partnership, a display of friendship between horse and rider.

Dressage sure had gone backwards to the dark ages since the
    Dutch and their Rollkur have turned dressage into a circus act.

The judges who give 9's and 10's to a trot that is not a true 2 beat, they all need to be disqualified and sent back to the circus.

I am not a dressagista.

I really enjoyed watching Totilas at WEG. He's beautifully ridden and doesn't seem to harbor that bit of resentment that many top dressage horses today do. But face it, if the new owner breeds enough mares to him to get back his investment, this is what dressage is going to look like in 15 years...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u9UGc254kI
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

OK I have a question. I have seen so many people go on and on about this pair, but the videos I have seen show a very lateral walk. I also see the same thing in Poetin, and people go on and on about her as well.

So am I seeing things that don't exist? Maybe I am watching all the bad videos, and these two don't usually have such lateral walks? I have always been taught that a lateral walk is not correct, and a dressage horse should absolutely not have that tendency.

The thing about "FREE" movement in the horse is that it can easily slide into being SLOPPY and INACCURATE. These are dressage tests, not horses running about in turn-out.

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    The thing about "FREE" movement in the horse is that it can easily slide into being SLOPPY and INACCURATE. These are dressage tests, not horses running about in turn-out.
    Exactly! That's why it's not easy.

And also, powerful and accurate, although not sloppy and inaccurate, MUST be FREE and ELASTIC and STRETCHING.

That's why Totilas didn't deserve 9's and 10's. He lacked in FREE and ELASTIC and STRETCHING and FORWARD.

He is strong and mighty and powerful and magnificent, but world class GP dressage demands more.

Klimke and Ahleric come way closer to the standards of
    Classical Dressage.

Nobody said it was easy.
    Last edited by Blue Domino; Oct. 16, 2010 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spirithorse View Post
    So rants the wondrous and almighty Beasmom, the magnificent dressage Master.
    No, no spirithorse, that was eagles.

I love the forwardness, so relaxed and confident about life.

These threads absolutely kill me. People post excitedly about horses they love, and people post equally excitedly to tear them down and prove their own superiority.

No wonder so many people feel that dressage is simply above them. Because folks in the discipline act like it is.

Paragon:
    For me it is not about the horse I like or dislike. It is simply about abiding by the descriptions set forth by FEI. These descriptions are stipulated in order to achieve correctness. Yes, correct is what dressage competition should be about, not horse and rider personalities.
    www.hartetoharte.org

Default Interesting responses

I am neither all for one or the enemy for the other. I do prefer to see less perfection and managemant of every tensed muscle and more of a cheerful partnership...even if every step is not in the perfect spot. I think there was still more to achieve with Alherich and I am sure the Dr would have agreed...perhaps with time Totilas will be set free to show joy in his work. Alherich was not a horse of today but personally I did not get the feel that the goal was to maintain perfect tension. The thing is Alherich beat all comers in his time. You can't have an imaginary competition between Alherich and Totilas but it does not look like the same goals were in place in each horses training either. Would Klimke today force submission to control every step so that every foot fall is perfect? I don't blame rollkur, I blame people obsessed with dressage as a means of control not as a form of art. It isn't a pleasure to watch stiff as a board riders any more than a horse bent to perfect submission. PatO

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    No, no spirithorse, that was eagles.
    Thanks alicen!

Eagle=Raptor or Bird of Prey

"The term "raptor" is derived from the Latin word "rapere" (meaning to seize or take by force)" from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_of_prey

I think that describes LDR/Rollkur very well: to seize or take by force.

As opposed to Classical Dressage, The Klimke method, where seizing and taking by force is strictly forbidden.

Quote Originally Posted by spirithorse View Post
    Columbus;
    Nice to see there are those who appreciate correctness in the presentation.

Some folks today do not even comprehend how to use the terms they spew when describing dressage.
    Funny, I had this poster, by it's words, tagged as one more parellite.
    Why? Because of the whimsical ideas of what dressage is supposed to be, how hard or simple and how to go about it.

On second thought, maybe it still is one, being a reverend not antagonistic with following PP?

Dressage is a very down to earth task.
    Dressage is work and progression in that work.
    Dressage is very technical in what is wanted and when it is achieved and why and how.

There really is not that much room for flights of fancy when training, riding to tests or judging dressage, although it is ok to feel those when sitting around and talking about dressage, that is true.

I will say, horses of past years were stiffer than a 2x4 compared with today's horses.
    That changed starting with Rembrand, that was still stiff, if not as much as horses used to be, but now ethereal, didn't seem to touch the ground in Barcelona.
    Yep, those last words are a flight of fancy.

Today's horses are better all around, which they should be, we bred for them, search thru many more for the best, have better management yet than ever and our knowledge is immensely larger than in years past, if not always following tradition, still based on it.

I don't know if I like today's world of horse training better, because it is too different to compare.

What could any of us old timers have done, if we had the opportunities, horses and knowledge young ones have today and so early?

You young'uns don't know how good you have it, quit picking, work at what you have and enjoy YOUR trip for what it is, your own trip.