The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy OMG I stink

Ungh this is embarrassing but weeeelllll....my boots stink. They stink bad. And it's not the normal stinky feet boot smell either. Please don't laugh but I think my dog peed on them.

My boots were damp this morning when I put them on to go to work but didn't think much of it because when I watered last night,I got them wet. Usually they dry pretty quickly but the house was cold last night and I just b & m'd about it a bit but put them on anyway. I love these paddocks and wear them more than any of my others. (They are last year's Ariat winter paddocks and even wore them in the summer they were that comfortable.)

Now I normally don't have a stinky foot problem, even when I run. I'm pretty lucky that way. Well we had a horse come into the clinic and while we were treating it, some cookie fell into my boot so I took it off to shake it out a few minutes ago and OMG! My friggin boot smells soooo bad, like some bad puppy in my house peed on it! (And there seems to be a yellowish tint on a part of my sock which really makes me believe that a certain puppy is the culprit.)

I am so happy the owner or my boss was not around when I took my smellier than death boot off because it stunk. OMG did it stink!

So now I am wondering what I can do with my beloved smelly boot. I sprayed some Febreeze in there and stuck some baking soda and newspaper in it but you can still smell it.

The boots are leather and the other boot is fine- no disgusting puppy piddle smell in that one. Luckily I have my poser wellies I can wear today but I want my boot back!

Is there anything I can do besides going out to buy another pair of these boots? Does anyone have any boot de-stinking tricks other than baking soda and cornstarch? Can I throw them in the washer and let them air dry in the house?

Ungggggggggghhhhhh....it's one thing to be smelling like a horse but it's completely another when you smell like puppy pee

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

If there isn't any leather on these boots, I'd try putting them in the washing machine and then letting them dry in the sun. Sunshine cures a lot of nasty.

Heck you could probably put them in the washing machine even if they did have leather on them, but you'd need to condition the leather after the boots dried. I'd at least try it before you toss them and get a new pair.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

If the whole shoe isn't washable, can just the footbeds be taken out and washed and/or aired out?

If the boots are completely and totally dry, just sprinkle a ton of baking soda inside them and set them aside for a week. (I wouldn't put BS on wet boots or else you might get paste.)

Charcoal is also supposed to get smells out, so maybe you could put a few lumps of charcoal in them?
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

LOL when I first glanced at your thread I thought it said your *boobs* stink. Ooops.

Just wash 'em. Even if they are leather, paddocks are pretty tough! Toss some Natures Miracle in there too for good measure

I had a similar issue with a pair of Ariats, had them for quite a while, wear them every day. I tried febreze etc. Found the only thing that worked was to buy a second pair, rotate, so they never get worn every day for months on end and it seems to have worked.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    LOL when I first glanced at your thread I thought it said your *boobs* stink. Ooops.
    I don't know what would be worse stinky boots or stinky boobs!

Quote Originally Posted by Widget View Post
    I don't know what would be worse stinky boots or stinky boobs!
    Having *both* stinky boots and stinky boobs.

Ooh.. I have a suggestion that might work! I just dealt with a cat pee problem (gross, I know). The cat peed on a piece of our furniture. He's still alive, but only because I found a product that not only worked, but was cheap! You need something that will neutralize the odor naturally... "Anti Icky Poo" is a really good product, but it's super hard to find and crazy expensive. I didn't have any and I was desperate, so I ran to the local WalMart and bought a product called "Kids-N-Pets Instant Stain and Odor Remover". It was less than $7 and worked like a charm! Plus, it smelled really nice as well. I would absolutely hold off on any other treatments, especially chemical ones as they can make these neutralizer products work less effectively, and pick up some of this stuff. Just soak the entire boot.. it's a gentle product and will be much less damaging than detergents.

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post

Just wash 'em. Even if they are leather, paddocks are pretty tough! Toss some Natures Miracle in there too for good measure

Sorry, no stinky boobs today. I showered.

I will try the Walmart stuff and if that doesn't work I will toss them in the wash and see how that works. I don't think it will be too bad as I wear these boots ALL OF THE TIME. I have bathed horses in them, washed my car in them, ran through puddles, probably no less than a million times. These are my barn boots.

In my crazed-out-wishing-I-could-sleep-at-2- in-the- morning- instead- of- thinking -about- my- -smelling -boot- problem night I thought maybe I could get one of those spinning scrub brushes to scrub the insides of the toe with something then hose them off. I don't know. At this point I'll try just about anything and if I ruin them then I'll get to buy new ones, which I will definitely keep away from the puppy.

Can you wash the footbeds, clean the leather and let them air out for a while on a porch or garage?

I'm a believer in fresh air working best (along w/ some chemical air freshners too ).

wash the insoles then spray them with natures miracle (buy at pet stores)
    clean boots with normal boot cleaner then stray liberally with natures miracle
    let dry
    spray the insides with lysol
    then let them sit out in the sun for a day
    condition
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Boobs or boots, this thread makes me laugh.

Can we generalize to incidents when we really did stink?

OMG- I was cleaning the garden out this week and the thought struck me that I was down to my last few buckets of grain and had to go to the feedstore RIGHT NOW before I forgot. So Off in the big ole truck I go, my hair scrunched up like some halloween mow-hawk, complete with bits of punkin vine and raspberry thorns in it, my hubby's torn old hoody, mismatched socks under too short dirty sweatpants, etc.. But what the heck, its only the feedstore, right?

Except as I was telling the clerk my order, I was wondering "What's the awful smell in here? did the clerk not shower today?"

THEN I realized OMG I STINK. Fortunately, I got outta there just as quick and quickly hopped in the shower and scrubbed myself from head to toe three times. Its like the awful smell got stuck in my nose even though hubby assured me I smelled just like my roses and goatsmilk soap at the end. Its really bad when you can't stand yourself...
    If it ain't broke- TRAIN IT!