The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default double AA show at the NJ Horse Park

What does it mean a AA Hunter Show and who out there is going Nov 10-13, at the Horse Park of New Jersey?

Default Show

My guess is it is a Woodedge hosted show. They have a website - search woodedge horse shows - and the prize list will be on there.
    In the past it has been both well attended as well as on the quiet side. It really depends on weather and who else has a show that weekend.

I went last year. It was a nice show and we're planning on going again this year. It was pretty well attended last year. I had 15+ in my division.
    False face must hide what the false heart doth know.
    -- William Shakespeare

my trainer said I should do the 3" Hunter Derby there. What is so different about a "Derby" I have never been in one. Help ouT there from you that have done them... Please ! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tricky ricky View Post
    my trainer said I should do the 3" Hunter Derby there. What is so different about a "Derby" I have never been in one. Help ouT there from you that have done them... Please ! Thanks
    Wow! A three inch hunter derby!!! I will definitely sign up then since I'm pretty sure I can do that in spite of being a very recent re-rider.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself...

yep, I hit the wrong key... 3' with some 3'3" options....Thanks again

I'm doing the 3ft derby too! We've been practicing tight roll backs, trotting fences, canter/halt transitions. I just looked at the prize list and it said lead over fence. I can only hope that is not the case, we just got my boy to figure out how to jog! It also said opening a gait while mounted so that should be interesting, we don't really have a way to practice it at home.

Good luck to everyone this weekend, I'm excited to break out my shad belly!
    Oh Sweetheart
    Make A Splash
    The Adventures of a College Equestrian

Default I'll be there too

I'm doing the low a/os and am hoping to watch the derby. Good luck! If you pm me your horse's names, I'll cheer for you

How many jumps usually in a Hunter derby ? Are they different than regular classes and what about these option fences? A lot of questions....But I am new at this .....Thanks

We've got 11 from my barn going, split over the 2 days. The weather is supposed to be lovely this weekend so I would expect a good turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by gusbabe View Post
    My guess is it is a Woodedge hosted show. They have a website - search woodedge horse shows - and the prize list will be on there.
    In the past it has been both well attended as well as on the quiet side. It really depends on weather and who else has a show that weekend.
    Yes, it's Woodedge. The weather should be lovely!

I'm doing the Hunter Derby on Saturday too! It's supposed to be a beautiful day - 60s and sunny. It's our first derby experience, so we're just going to try to have fun. (I'll be the little one with glasses on the big bay, in my dark green jacket cause I haven't earned a shad yet, trying to make myself look calm and relaxed.) So excited!!

I'll be on a big brown pony with a pink lined shad. Oh wait that's everyone else out there! But we practiced leading over a fence today so hopefully if we get to the second round that won't be a problem!
    Oh Sweetheart
    Make A Splash

OMG WE WENT BY THE HORSE PARK OF NJ TODAY AND LOOKED AT THE COURSE. WHAT A NEAT COURSE! A ROUND JUMP, REAL LOGS AND SOME REALLY COOL JUMPS. ONE OF THOSE COURSES YOU JUST WAIT TO RIDE OVER. I AM EXCITED. SEE YOU ALL SATURDAY PM.

Default What an awesome hunter course and a great turnout~!

Quote Originally Posted by tricky ricky View Post
    OMG WE WENT BY THE HORSE PARK OF NJ TODAY AND LOOKED AT THE COURSE. WHAT A NEAT COURSE! A ROUND JUMP, REAL LOGS AND SOME REALLY COOL JUMPS. ONE OF THOSE COURSES YOU JUST WAIT TO RIDE OVER. I AM EXCITED. SEE YOU ALL SATURDAY PM.
    I was sooooo impressed by the quality of the hunter ring and the beautiful course.... and the outrageously big turnout! The hunter derby was just getting going under the lights at 6ish last night! A happy change from the hunter rings closing in early afternoon at the shows I attended over the summer Made me worry that hunters are a dying sport

It is nice to think that hunters are still a sport that many love and that can draw a big turnout. Just goes to show that if you build a pretty course and offer a little prize money PEOPLE WILL SHOW UP! If you build it, they will come...LOL!
    Wake up show organizers...take the time to plan a good show, offer some prizes and build a pretty old-school hunter course (I personally welcome the lower height fence options, but that's a whole other debate ) - and we will attend! What a blast! It also helps to be treated nicely by the show office! GO HUNTER RIDERS!
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Default Interesting Handy Round!

Does anyone know where the results are posted? Are they online anywhere? I was there at noon to be sure not to miss the Derby - ha! Well, I got to see a lot of horses warm up for it, anyway! And must say, well worth the wait into the night to watch the entire thing, and I'm glad I brought a coat!

The surprise for me was how many horses were knocked down in the final handy round by the "lead over the trot rail" part. Some of them were the top scorers from the first round!

Default photog

Anyone know who the photog was at the Horse Park?

I am so glad for Maureen and Bob getting such a great showing this weekend! The jumps in the indoor and outdoor hunter rings were beautiful and I have never had so much fun at a horse show as in that derby! And is anyone was there my horse was the one in the second round who jumped the lead fence about 2'6" - 3ft! What a great show!

Also the photographer was gallopprints!
    Oh Sweetheart
    Make A Splash

to call the jumps gorgeous in that ring would be an understatement! I just wish they made some of the jumper jumps a bit prettier as well. But I am still drooling over that ring. I could not stay for the derby. Anyone have the results?

when and where is the next show that woodedge is doing?