The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rochester NY fellows... pasture board/co-op/other unconventional board options?

I cannot believe I am seriously considering this, but I find myself in need of ideas for unconventional (read: inexpensive) board options in the Rochester area. I am open to pasture board, rough board, co-ops, work in exchange, really cheap but far away full board, or....? Access to an indoor would probably be necessary. Ideally, this would be someplace on the east side, within 40 minutes of the city, and either offer lower level dressage and/or eventing instruction or allow outside trainers, but these things are all negotiable. Fill my head with ideas and make me think this little fantasy* is possible, Rochesterians!

*Details of this fantasy on hold pending reality check.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

(OP: if you're feeling hijacked, let me know and I'll start a new thread... that won't get any answers, lol)

Same thing, but for the west side of Rochester. Preferably *not* straight pasture board. Indoor is not necessary, as I dislike riding in the bitter winter anyway... but a good outdoor would be most appreciated.

Less than $300/mo is ideal. Would *love* being at a private farm that ships out for hunter/eq lessons or similar. Not interested in compromising on care/safety, though- good fencing, sturdy facilities and fairly knowledgeable people are definitely important to me.

Ruby- wanna meet halfway and put a stable up around Upper Falls, downtown? :P

That sounds super! The city is always looking for new & innovative development ideas for High falls. Maybe they'll help fund it! We could ride to... to.... um. Hrm. Lyell ave?

Ruby Free: I responded to you on the eventing forum.

For around $300:

Evergreen Stables in Scottsville is $325(thats WITH taxes) for full board

Stampede Farms in York has pasture for $9/day with huge run ins, stall $13/day.

Sweet Release Stables in Bergen, I think is around $300, fairly new, but I trained with Jolene years ago!

Others, westside:

Bridle Wreath Farm in Spencerport, nice place, great care, little pricier, dressage and driving oriented

Pleasant View Farm is in Greece, don't know what their price is, but mostly H/J

You could try further north in the Hilton/Spencerport area, I see postings for some farms on craigslist for "economic" board, but I do not know them off the top of my head!

You can PM me if you find one that I haven't listed, I know a bunch of them off handedly and people from all over!

Default east side of Rochester

There's also Landmark stables. http://landmarkstable.tripod.com/
    I drove by there this weekend and she has a sign out that says Stalls available. She has some stalls and pasture boarding as well. When I checked last year her rates seemed pretty reasonable. She about 30 minutes east of Rochester on Rt 350.
    Not my monkeys, not my circus.

Landmark Stables in Walworth. They offer 2 kinds of pasture board, both under $300 last time I was there (Winter of 09/10). They have a beautiful indoor, outdoor, and co-owner lives on site. Very nice people, no drama, mostly a pleasure/eventing/H-J type barn. They do go to H/J and Events during the year.

http://landmarkstable.webs.com/

I'm bringing my horses home (finally! ), but I would not hesitate to board there again.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Thanks everyone!