The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Personally, having been through having a horse with the Big S, i told people who asked about it. The owner refused to tell anyone because she didn't want a "panic". However, other boarders wandered all over the barn, patting bunches of horse, and the last thing we needed was an unawares person breaking the quarentine.

Honesty is always the best policy.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

Good news--results are finally in and it's not strangles! It's another form of strep, but it's non-contagious. I don't know for sure whether the test really took 9 days or the owner waited to disclose, but at this point I'm assuming it just was a really long test, and I'm so relieved I don't care.

The owner was told to keep all her stuff in the quarantine barn and if she needed anything from the main barn, to call the BO or BM and they'd get it for her. As I said, I still think she was behaving irresponsibly to the other boarders, and there are other reasons why I had some foundation to mistrust her honesty on the test results/lack thereof--so as sorry as I feel for her horse, I still don't trust her and hope she's out of there soon now that the quarantine is lifted.

Thanks everybody for your responses! Hoping strangles stays far away from all y'all--if nothing else I'm glad this experience has made me more aware of what it is, and I do still think it's pretty odd that it's not a reportable disease, considering how contagious it is. I feel like I'm going to start disinfecting my poor horse every time he leaves the barn!

Awesome. I'm so glad its not strangles.

I totally understand your frustration with the other boarder as well. When it comes to my horses health I turn into a total bitch (well, actually that happens a lot anyway. HAHAHA) and I would lose it if someone was needlessly exposing my horse to whatever crud.

I've come to the conclusion that boarding horses sucks at 99 out of a 100 barns. When I'm rich and famous I will have my own small barn. With NO boarders.

Thanks! I've been lucky that at the two barns I've been at, I've had really great barn owners who treat my horse like family... but I've likewise come to the conclusion that there are always going to be insane, weird, and scary boarders no matter where you go... ah, well. I always thought when I'm rich and famous I'd have a small barn too, with a few hand-picked friends as boarders, but I've gradually become convinced that the second the contract was signed, they'd morph into psycho were-boarders!

Sounds like strep zoo. Which is contagious, but from what I understand, it's a mild illness. It can be zoonotic and is dangerous in dogs in a kennel situation. From what I understand, it's an opportunistic infection (usually follows a virus). I think it's about 2 weeks for incubation.

Glad to hear everything worked out for you!

Send you a PM