The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do you give rhino vaccinations?

I have heard that rhino vaccinations are not necessary for many horses, specifically pleasure horses that aren't traveling to shows. Generally I tend to err on the "better safe than sorry" side of things, but a friend's horse recently had a bad reaction to a rhino vaccination, so now I'm on the fence. What does everyone here do, and does your horse travel?

When my horses aren't travelling, I don't do Rhino. I didn't even do it when my 1 horse was going to shows, as I was hauling in, no stall, just there a few hours. Did that mean there was zero risk? No. But the exposure chance was greatly reduced, as well as his stress, so all that adds up to a healthier situation as far as the immune system is concerned.

I don't show and my horses don't travel so no.

I do because my horse's pasturemates do go to clinics and stay overnight at the trainers, etc.

If someone doesn't think I need to, I'm open to reasons.

I have never given the strangles vaccine, however. Nor have we ever had it...
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I don't do rhino; my eldest (my "baby") had a violent reaction to it several years ago. Colicking, muscle fasiculations, the works. In my crazy emotional state I thought he was going to die the entire time it took the vet to get out there. Banamine fixed it almost immediately, but it scared the snot out of me, so now I only do it for my youngster (3 year old) because he's traveling a lot. I have been told by a vet that if my other two (24 & 17 years old) haven't built up immunity to it by now, they're not gonna.

Yes, always. Works out on the "yes" side in my personal risk/benefit calculation.
    Click here before you buy.

NO, they make my horses very sick and sore, sometimes so sore they can't move their neck for weeks. Other shots yes.

What about boarded horses, at a barn where there are occasionally new horses going in and out? Assuming the horse is otherwise healthy and has been vaccinated for everything else.

Depends how comfortable you are with your horse contracting a disease that's reasonably (but not altogether) preventable and often deadly. And your own horse's personal history of tolerance of vaccines. Also factor in whether there are any broodmares around--I wouldn't let a non-rhino-vaccinated horse near any of mine that were pregnant.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Manes&Tails View Post
    NO, they make my horses very sick and sore, sometimes so sore they can't move their neck for weeks. Other shots yes.
    Have you tried switching vendors and/or using some bute?