The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Beautiful Video of the Working Vaquero

Interesting to see how they use the poles to herd the cattle and even knock them down when needed. Well trained horses and great partnerships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk_n1yQlmT0
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Cool. Definitely an interesting craft. For them, the pole is the same as our brushpoppers' pistols and cowboys' ropes.

I'm sure the docked tails are to keep them out of brush & grass, but I do feel for the horses. And why roach the forelocks and then put "fly fringe" on the browband? Can't figure that one out.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Are the tails actually docked, or just cut super super short. I can't tell.. a lot of the horses just look like the hair has been cut to tailbone length. and some look like their tails are in mud knots.

Very beautiful discipline/craft.

Those andalusians run too long in the same spot.
    Even when running way out, any selfrespecting cattle can outrun them.
    Now, they are quicker than cattle, that is how they generally can handle them.

Here is some neat video of dry work, called Garrocha, that is the name of the pole:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhuip8kyBTU&NR=1

Yep, he never touches the reins either, clear to the end, with flying changes and all.

Beautiful!

It looked to me like there were some docked, some cut off and some knotted. Maybe the "docked" ones were just cut off though, but a couple would have to have some short tail bones!

Quote Originally Posted by CR Gorge Girl View Post
    Are the tails actually docked, or just cut super super short. I can't tell.. a lot of the horses just look like the hair has been cut to tailbone length. and some look like their tails are in mud knots.

Very beautiful discipline/craft.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"