The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tell your experiences with a knocked down hip.

Friend's horse has just suffered a knocked down hip. Anyone with any experience with this? How long was your horse off, did he ever come back enough to be fully functional? What treatments did you use such as chiro, accupun, massage, etc?
    This horse is an OTTB doing well in dressage at 1st level his first year out.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I have a gelding who came to me with an old knocked down hip. He's sound on it and it doesn't seem to cause him any issue. He looks funny on that side, though.

Default define knocked down hip

I am curious as I have a young gelding who whacked himself something fierce on one of his hip bones. He is obviously different on one side vs the other. One vet suspected he actually pulled muscle away and it reattached and formed differently when it heald. He seemed to re-injure himself on the same side several times just being a young horse. After working with accupunture and excerise with little to no success I think we now maybe able to make him rideable.
    I have found an excellent chiro, body person and have turned him out on some nice hills to naturally strengthen his underlying muscle. Knock wood it seems he might be coming around but won't know for sure till he is started under saddle.
    Would love to hear others who have gone through the same thing

Default My jumper did this between 3-4 I was so depressed

I was told by a valued Vet that he would never jump a day in his life again.

Well I called some of my Florida Vets---- And they were like

"Sweetie we have polo ponies come out of the trailer with 2 knocked down hips"

Depending on what the horse did- mine it was his tuber coxae---
    I was told to hand walk him on a straight line 2 miles a day no circles. For 3 months.
    The have him sleeved and ultrasounded to know where the break was.

Well You are not going to tell my champ he can't do it and if you pm me with your email I will email you him then and now- Oh by the way it has never slowed him down once I got thru a progressive comeback!!!! And yes I do acupuncture and Chiro-- he is not a starfish!!

We had one. She came sound a couple of weeks after she did it, but per vet was not worked/ridden for several months. Then she was fine for whatever work. Had another one that had it when we got her--never had a problem with soundness with her at all.

My gelding came to me just over six years ago, dropped left hip and an old (very slight) hunters bump. I was unaware of both of these injuries in the beginning as he came from a rescue. A couple of years ago I started having an mt/chiro work on him for some back soreness (which ultimately I ended up having his hocks injected for). It took a good year and a half of regular visits from the chiro and some time off (not because he was lame, but because I havent had time to ride) and knock on wood, he had his first visit this last friday where he hasn't needed an adjustment behind.

He's never been lame because of it. His hocks have been the cause of his back soreness and I started jumping him last summer. He's going to get his shoes pulled and get the rest of the year off. I will start back up with him slowly this spring. I think that's going to be the ticket for him.

Good Luck!
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Mine has 2 dropped hips. When she did the left, my trainer said, now that's she's even, she'll have even more scope! She successfully jumped prelim fence height with 1 dropped hip after it healed. We did do a lot of massage and my trainer, who does her massage, designed exercises to help strength her back etc. We do keep an eye on her back and hips at she gets massage at the first sign of stiffness. I've found that the more correctly I ride her, making her use her back properly, the less problems she has with her back. It did take several months of therapy to get her back going though.

Jingles for your horse ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"