The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Loose Stool?

Calling all feed/supplement gurus!!

There is a young TB (3 year old) that I am working with right now and he has loose stool - not diarrhea, but not a real horsey poop either. It is more like a cow patty. Some days it is more firm than others.

With that said, he has good coat shine and he is growing like a weed. He was starved for a while when he was very young and he is a rescue. He has no problems maintaining his weight. Really, he is thriving right now and he eats a mid-level Blue Seal feed (the name escapes me right now).

But, I am a little concerned about the pooping situation. I have been working with him since April and it just hasn't really solidified to my liking.

Do you all suggest probiotics, wheat bran, beet pulp, etc.? Which one? Does he just need more fiber?
    Please let me know what has worked for your horses and what is easiest in a boarding situation.
    Thanks for the help!

I would add probiotics and either alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay. We had a mare with similar symptoms and this fixed her right up.

Probiotics are fabulous for that. I use Equerry's.

Personally, I would be careful with adding pure alf, especially for a horse with loose stool. If your going to do it, do it very slowly.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Probiotics for sure
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

I have an OTTB that I've had for 2 years and he has the same problem. I've tried changing his feed....Horsemen's Edge 10 10, Purina Ultium, Triple Crown Sr (has beat pulp in it) and Strategy. Nothing stopped the cow plops. I will try the pro-biotics too now. Keep us posted and let me know if this helps your guy. My guy is fine in every other way. I did find that some of the grains made him act like a crack monkey!
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

Have you tried Bio-Sponge?

Definitely give the probiotics a shot, but I would avoid wheat bran.

KER makes a product called Equi-Sure.

It stopped my mare's cow patties, which she had been having for over a year. It works on the hind gut.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Yep I'd absolutely have him on probiotics of some sort & keep him on them. I'd also try Platinum Performance supplement as it has bio-sponge in it & I've heard of this helping some horses that have the loose stool problem. Of course just straight Bio-Sponge by itself should firm him up but it gets really expensive & you don't want to have to keep him on something like this. The supplement should help.
    As far as the Alfalfa goes, if he needs buffering for some ulcers or irritated GI system, the calcium in the alfalfa should help. If that's not the problem sometimes it causes diarrhea. I've got an older guy that it does that to & had a foal last year that just couldn't eat it in any quantity.
    The wheat bran isn't a good idea as it can actually cause loose stools also.
    You could first try him on some gastro-guard for a couple of weeks, or some ranitidine which is cheaper & see if that helps.
    Keep us posted...
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Another vote for the probiotics. My mare used to be the same way. It worked so well for her, I've been feeding Fastrack for years with all my horses. It helps mitigate loose stool with early spring grass, and my gas colics are almost non-existent now.

Talking

Some just do that. We have a 15yr old OTTB that we have had since he was 3. We have tried everything that you can imagine and some things that you might not want to imagine. He has been examined by many experts from DVMs on up. He's had about every treatment too.

It has never slowed him down, but keeping him clean and sweet smelling at the biggest of competitions can be time consuming.

If he ever has poop with shape it means that he is sick and we load him up to spend the night, or two, or three at the hospital.

If your horse is otherwise healthy and happy there may not be anything you can do about the poop plops.

Oh and when our guy gets wound up about something he can squirt through a key hole at 20 ft!! It is how he initiates the new vet techs and interns at the vet clinic. They learn to get him in, get him done, and get him outta there.

We have been dealing with intermittent squirts and gas colic for the past 4 years (when we moved from the midwest to the southeast) in my now 16 yr old QH. What has helped is a combination of Equishure and Speedibeet with some TC Senior daily. We do have to use some sandclear due to the soil but that hasn't added to his issues.

This past squirt and gas episode, we added ADR to the daily feed for about 5 days and that seemed to really help him get back to his more normal poop.

To repeat many - probiotics. I use Optizyme from Manna Pro as it has proven to be the most effective and economical that my horse will eat (none of mine will eat Probios or FastTrack). Bio-Sponge does work well, but too expensive for me to use much and my horses despise the powder form so it is a lot of hassle to doctor it enough to get into them. Does kind of resemble chalky clay dust -- nasty looking stuff that I wouldn't eat either!

This may not apply, but I have a horse that gets loose on orchard grass every time. He was always loose until I moved to a barn that fed timothy -- and it was gone. Teff, he's okay. Local crappy grass hay, he's fine. But any orchard, I know immediately as he gets loose. So sometimes you have to look beyond the grain, supplements, and pasture and see if it is the hay. Just a thought.

Default Thanks

Good point HorsePoor. My guy is on an orchard grass hay mix and that could be the problem. Is the Optizyme pelleted or is it a powder?

I did buy the ProBios cookies to start him on something, but they won't last long. I don't know if he will eat a powdered supplement, so I am hesitant to go out and buy a big container of it before I know for sure.

I am going to try the probiotics for now and see if we can't firm his poops up some, but if that doesn't work, I will have to try other things. Or, maybe like some of you guys said, it is just him.

He certainly doesn't appear to be hurting or having any other issues.

Thanks again and I will keep you posted as to what works and what flops
    Last edited by LoveJubal; Oct. 15, 2010 at 04:32 PM.

Just wondering if there's any update - starting to look into the same question myself!

I haven't read all the posts, but I felt the need to share my experience.
    We have a little TB mare who has cow patties. All the time. It's her normal.

I'll admit it took me years to come to terms with this. I tried everything: FasTrack, Probios, Biosponge, different natural juices & extracts, alfalfa, etc.
    At last, I looked at the mare's history. She was premature (born @ 313 days), had strangles as a very young filly (one month), and had colic surgery as a weanling (resection). She came to me as a yearling and she had cow patties then. She's eleven years old now and she still has them.

She's in good weight - maybe a bit plump. Her coat is lovely; her feet are fabulous. She did Pony Club (had to note the patties on her stall card) and hunters for #1 daughter and was a wonderful jumper for my #2 daughter. She's been outgrown and is enjoying life mostly as a pasture puff simply because I don't have anymore kids for her and she's not the easiest horse to ride.

My vet listened to her gut once and said it sounds like she has a 'hyperactive gut'. She's an easy keeper (now that I'm not trying to fix her poop) on minimal Triple Crown Complete and 24/7 turnout on decent grass/and or hay. Because of her early colic history, I like her out moving and eating all the time. A couple years ago I spoke with the vet who performed her colic surgery. He was surprised she was still alive. I guess cow patties aren't so bad.....
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    KER makes a product called Equi-Sure.

It stopped my mare's cow patties, which she had been having for over a year. It works on the hind gut.
    Was looking at the ad online for that. Interesting. Looks like a liquid? Did you dose it daily for periods of time or just when needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
    Yep I'd absolutely have him on probiotics of some sort & keep him on them. I'd also try Platinum Performance supplement as it has bio-sponge in it & I've heard of this helping some horses that have the loose stool problem.
    Would you do the Platinum Performance and a pro-bio at the same time?

I'm working with a mare right now that has the same problem. Was going to get her started on a pro-biotic and see, but am interested in the Platinum Performance as well.