The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking ChocoMare, you have another groupie!

All summer long my yearling and I have been in a battle against "summer itch." I tried every tonic, supplement, etc. on her, but she continued to lose all the hair on her face, under her jaw, her neck, her chest, her belly, and then she started attaching her tail. Everyone agreed I was going to be stuck with this itchy, ugly horse every summer for the rest of her life.

Well in one of my CoTH searches, I came across the Neck Threadworms thread with your Equimax treatment. At that point, I was willing to try just about anything so I ordered a couple tubes. And for that, I have to thank you, ChocoMare, and your farrier of course. After a summer of no hair, constant itching and scabs, I have my filly back! Within 2 weeks after the first double dose, she completely grew back all her hair. I wish I had before and after shots, but I was too embarrassed of how she looked to take the before shot.

So ChocoMare, you have another groupie! And a huge thank you from Izzie, the no longer hairless filly, and me!

WOOOHOOO!!! (sure wish we had a Dancing Banana icon... tis applicable here!)

So glad to hear of another success story. Please copy and paste your post into the BIG NTW thread tho... the more people see it, the better
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Will do! I was just afraid that my thank you would get lost in that huge thread. Thank you again! <insert dancing banana icon here>

Don't want to rain on your parade... but...
    It’s not summer anymore. Doesn’t it make sense that the itch is gone for now?

It will be interesting to see if the magic works for next year.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

Creaghgal,

I understand your scepticism, but the changing season was not the cause of my filly's improvement. No way. No how. It was immediate and did not correspond with the bugs or weather. It was also most definitely summer when I gave the Equimax treatment a try. I wanted to get through both double doses before I posted anything as I was afraid to jinx myself. Anyway, I wish I had the pictures to prove it. Alas...you'll just have to take my word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Creaghgal View Post

I'm on the Eastern Shore of VA, too. Yesterday it was 80 degrees, and Monday it was 85 and humid. Friends of mine have been going to the beach throughout October. Oh, and the mosquitoes are worse now than they were at any point during the summer.

While it technically is not still summer, we have continued to have many summer-like days into fall.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
    I'm on the Eastern Shore of VA, too. Yesterday it was 80 degrees, and Monday it was 85 and humid. Friends of mine have been going to the beach throughout October. Oh, and the mosquitoes are worse now than they were at any point during the summer.

While it technically is not still summer, we have continued to have many summer-like days into fall.
    No kidding! For a moment, I actually had to think about if it really is October and fall. The mosquitoes were out full force last night at feeding time and tried to carry me away. But I'm not complaining, I'll take this warm weather over cold any day!

Quote Originally Posted by Creaghgal View Post

Here in GA, we may get fall technically, but not Cold Fall... we'll need a hard freeze before the no-see-um/gnats/midges that are responsible for the spread of Onchocerca disappear.... hence the regular (and if needed double) dosing of Ivermectin or Equimax during Gnat season.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I am a bit further south and east of Choco and we have been blessed with coolish dry weather such that I could finally lay off Sadie's every other week dose of Ivermectin just very recently. I have ordered enough equimax and plain ivermectin from Jeffers to get a running start on the cooties next year. Despite the horrid temperatures and humidity this past summer and her chronic issues Sadie is going INTO fall with both a mane and a tail. Thank the good Lord, the other horse doesnt get a hair out of place no matter how many gnats we have.

First bump I see on Sadie next spring I am starting the regimen and will report on the big NTW thread how scabless and comfortable she is during the summer. She has never looked better since 2006 when I got her.

Interesting thing, ChocoMare--this fall her winter coat grew in nearly coal black. What in the world? She's previously been darkest after shedding out in the spring, but still obviously what I would call a mahogany bay (although the folks around here call anything darker than a brown crayola "black") with black points. She didnt bleach out nearly as much in the summer, either. Could there be a connection between better adherence to the NTW protocol and her color? She gets no supplementation other than salt or sulphur or mineral blocks. Bahia/bermuda grass pasture (w/weeds) and less than a half pound of boring Nutrena 12% pellets a day, and horse cookies less often. Nothing that I can think of that would turn her black....