The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Hunter bridles for Arabians?

I would love some suggestions on finding a bridle for my Arab!! He's a liver chesnut with a blaze and has a beautiful refined head. I'm thinking I want plain and raised? Something in a darker color or that can be oiled and darkened. I would love to see pictures of your Arabs with their bridles on!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

My Arab X WB goes in a cob Collegiate bridle. It's raised with fancy stitching, but its all subtle. She has a very refined Arab-y head and I think it looks cute on her! I dont have a picture, but I will try to get one.

On my Arab mare, I use a cob sized Stubben dressage bridle and a QH-sized(?!?) el cheapo Kincade bridle in medium brown for jumping. The Kincade noseband fits on the 2nd to shortest hole. The throatlatch is tightened all the way up. Using a full cheek snaffle, the cheeks are on the 4th from the shortest hole.
    Aelfleah Farm, Scurry, Texas
    BLUE STAR Arabians and
    Arabian-influenced Sportponies
    www.aelfleahfarm.com

I use a Bobby's fancy-stitch raised bridle, cob size, for my Welsh-Arab cross, who has a classically Arab head. It fits and looks great, the leather is wonderfully soft, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

I had a gorgeous Aramas bridle on my old Arabian pony. He had a pretty Welsh-y head, and the cob fit him beautifully. It cost me under $200 for the bridle and the martingale, and the leather was gorgeous...wish I didn't sell it with the pony!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

My Half Arab gelding doesn't have a super typey head, but he looks great in his fancy stitched Bevel Stamford bridle (cob sized): http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...76&id=52700902

I don't ride any Arabians but if you say you are thinking plain, raised, I love my plain raised Hadfields (if you're willing to spend a lot of money). It looks especially good on the typey heads and its already a beautiful dark mahogany shade before oiling.

I second Bobby's bridle in cob size. They are easy to darker as well.

I had a really hard time finding a bridle that fit my Arabs head...I finally got an Arabian Saddle Company bridle-

http://www.arabiansaddle.com/bridles.htm

Thanks so much For all the suggestions!!GiddYbiddy- which aramas did you have For your pony? I have A wide noseband aramas for my tb that is absolutely Gorgeous! Leather quality is amazing for the price!! It's a bummer because there aren't many tack stores in my area so I have to do most of my shopping online... How's the quality on the Bobbys bridles?

My Arab isn't too refined, but I use a Bobby's english bridle on him and I think he's quite handsome. I love the quality of the bridle for the price. I think it was $120 with shipping.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...6&id=290401589

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...9&id=290401589

Quote Originally Posted by *Lovelife* View Post
    Thanks so much For all the suggestions!!GiddYbiddy- which aramas did you have For your pony? I have A wide noseband aramas for my tb that is absolutely Gorgeous! Leather quality is amazing for the price!! It's a bummer because there aren't many tack stores in my area so I have to do most of my shopping online... How's the quality on the Bobbys bridles?
    Oh gosh that was probably 7 or so years ago so I'm not sure...but it was just a regular fancy stitched bridle. So nice! I tried to find a picture of it but it was so long ago (my first pony!) that I can't find any good ones
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

Here is a not very flattering pic of my Arab X in her Collegiate bridle
    http://image76.webshots.com/176/2/57...2udAFzn_fs.jpg

WE have an assortment of Pessoa, Tad Coffin and Crosby. Sometimes the Arab head is hard to fit but if you really like your bridle, a saddler can shorten a cavesson or throat latch for you.